“Hardly Hilton......” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
New Delhi, India
“Hardly Hilton......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Difficult to find on the satnav.....and then diffculty in finding the parking entry !!! It has a non-exisitent parking space entry on the side of the hotel entry. The lobby is on the 3rd floor ! The rooms are small, average. Was on a business trip and spent a night there, so it was just about tolerable. Nothing great to talk about. Breakfast was standard layout.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Travel_away_10
Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment in regards to our hotel car park. We do have notices displayed to advise all guests, prior to entry to our car park.
Thank you for taking the time to convey your thoughts online.

Hilton Leeds City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I spent three nights in a "suite" recently.

It was fine.

Reception staff were very good, welcoming, helpful and professional. I had booked a suite but in truth it was simply a larger than normal room. To be fair, it was well priced so I didn't feel that I wasn't getting value for money but it was still a little disappointing.

One of the reasons I booked a suite was to have a bath tub and while the bathroom was generally very nice I felt a little cheated that the bath was not full sized.

All in all the hotel was OK and reasonable value for money but in future when staying in Leeds I think I will pay a little more and return to the Doubletree by Hilton which is close by and feels just a little bit special.

Dear KevMcPart

Thank you for taking the time to place your kind feedback on Tripadvisor, in regard to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
I am sorry to read that our hotel did not live up to your expectation.
On a lighter note, great to hear that you found our Reception team welcomed you.
Thank you for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Leeds City as your preferred hotel, we are very proud to be associated with this hotel, which is a valued part of the Hilton family of hotels.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went with my boyfriend for 2 nights in February and stayed in a double deluxe room, lovely hotel, staff were helpful, the room and hotel were very clean and modern, and we will definitely be returning. The restaurant served lovely food also, however we did not use the leisure facilities (pool/ gym/ spa) but they looked nice, modern, and clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear RMJJCG

Thank you for taking the time to place your kind feedback on Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
I am delighted to read that you particularly enjoyed your Deluxe double room allocation and the food served to you in our City 3 Restaurant during your stay with us.
Thank you once again, for your kind comments and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location but the negatives outweigh the positives. It became apparent that everything is surface cleaned only, for example in the toilets in the gym there was a piece of chocolate on the floor when I first went in on Thursday morning and was still there on Monday morning. We stayed for 7 nights and our room wasn't hoovered once and 1 day wasn't cleaned at all. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable as were the pillows, my husband bought himself a pillow from Asda which was much more comfortable. Breakfast was poor and £10 if you paid in advance, for this I don't expect to make my own toast. There's a wonderful place directly across the road (down a little lane) called Coffee/Croissant which does a freshly cooked full English for £5.99. There are also numerous little cafes in and around the railway station. Unless you've got a tiny little car the Hilton car park is awful, the Q car park is much better and only 5 minutes away. What the reception staff at the Hilton neglected to tell us (when we discussed at length we would be using Q from now on) was that we could have got a voucher from the Hilton for Q which would have given us a massive discount of over £10. The failure of the reception staff to tell us this until our last day cost us over £40, we were offered a couple of free coffees as compensation but didn't bother. Most of the bar staff are good and very friendly, but two of the guys were particulary poor, serving people out of turn and being generally unfriendly. The pool is small but I managed to swim about 80 lengths every morning and that was about the only positive.

Stayed February 2013
Dear Claire S

Thank you for taking the time to place your constructive feedback on Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment. There can be no excuse for the unacceptable levels of cleanliness that you experienced during your stay with us.
Please be assured all your feedback has been shared with the relevant Heads of Department and immediate re-training has taken place. Sincere apologies, once again for the disappointment caused to you.
Thank you once again, for your comments and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I am only staying here because of a work event, I would not normally stay in this hotel because the car park is so tight. If you have anything bigger than a mini avoid this hotel car park at all cost !! When I raised this at check in I was told "the dimensions are on the website".......when was the last time you checked the dimensions of a car park before booking a hotel!!! Avoid this place if you have a car !

Dear GDT1977

Thank you for taking the time to convey your thoughts online.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel, its right near the city centre within walking distance to all the shopping (which are amazing)! The rooms was very modern and clean. The pool was smaller than expected but still really nice, and there was a steam room/sauna, which was free and very relaxing. The reception were helpful. Only negative is you have to pay £15 for 24hr parking (i think this should be free).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Tasha_Coles

I am delighted to read that you particularly enjoyed our hotel`s location, your allocated room and our swimming pool, steam room and sauna and found our Reception team helpful.
It was nice to hear that you enjoyed your shopping, as the Trinity Shopping Centre is due to open shortly in March, we feel this will enhance what Leeds has to offer.

Hull
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed in quite a few hiltons around the world, I didn't hesitate to book another one for my 2 night stay in leeds, really disappointing experience, nothing major, just found it very expensive for what it is, the little things that other hiltons do well, this one does't, we may of been unlucky with the room we got, we had to ring for our complementary slippers and robes, even when we got them, there where no robe ties, the air con didt work properly and was very noisy, the bed was uncomfortable and very squeaky, making our romantic valentine evening a little embarrassing, the lamp didt work, the tv picture quality was very poor, and the general noise levels from people opening and closing doors in other rooms was very noticeable, like I say nothing major, and to be honest, probably things that could of been sorted, but as I was only staying 2 nights, I had better things to be doing then having to complain about small things that I would't expect from a Hilton, to sum up, I won't be staying at this Hilton again, and in future will definatly look at other hotels when booking a break rather then going for my usual 1st choice of the Hilton

• Stayed February 2013
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Tinkerman23
Thank you for taking the time to place your comments placed on Tripadvisor, in regard to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment in regards to your stay and that it did not meet with your expectation of Hilton.
I have discussed your concerns with my Head Housekeeper. There can be no excuse for the lack of housekeeping standards that you experienced.
I am sorry to read that you feel unable to return to our hotel, should you reconsider, please feel free to contact Janet McAteer via direct email: janet.mcateer@hilton.com who will be delighted to ensure that your forthcoming return visit, is of the standard that you quite rightly expect from Hilton.

Hilton Leeds City

Been to Hilton Leeds City? Share your experiences!