“Another good stay at the Marriott” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Leeds Marriott Hotel

You added Leeds Marriott Hotel to your Saves list
Leeds Marriott Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Trevelyan Square | Boar Lane, Leeds LS1 6ET, England (Clarence Dock)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #16 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
“Another good stay at the Marriott”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

This is the third time staying at this property with a group of my friends. We live in different parts of the country and Leeds is very central for us to meet for a girls weekend.
We were told at the time of booking that the hotel was being refurbished, so were a little apprehensive about this trip. However it did not affect us at all during our weekend stay.
Check in was with a young trainee but was smooth. We had been told that the hotel could not guarantee twin bedded rooms at the time of booking and they couldn't, so we had to share double beds. That's not a problem for us as we've known each other 25 years. More importantly was that we did get the non-smoking rooms we requested.
The rooms are a decent size and looked OK, bathrooms are ready for refurbishment as our sink was cracked but the bed was the best bed I think I have ever slept on in a hotel.
The pool is a decent size and I've never known it to be overcrowded each time I have been. Take £1 down to the changing room for lockers.
Bar looking a little dark and old fashioned and I'm sure that is in line for refurbishment.
Breakfast was just as good as I remember it. Lots of choice and tasted great.
Location, Location, Location. The hotel is right in the centre. You walk straight out of the hotel and into the heart of Leeds for shopping and entertainment. Great shops and restaurants all on the doorstep. All the usual chain stores are there, and there is something a bit different in the Corn Exchange.
Parking is expensive in the NCP car park about £11 for 24 hrs. But this is the only downside.
Staff were friendly and I would definitely stay again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Some areas in need of refurbishment and is being done
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Greek first
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2007

i stay here, after reading the reviews on trip adviser, i was in 2minds whether to or not, but i did, my god was that a mistake!!
on arrival i was greater by a very sour faced receptionist |( kristy)not friendley, rude and just made my party feel very unwanted and that we had bothered her, she was very unhelpfull, as we had booked twin rooms, but she told us they had noneand that was it, no explaination! i just stood there in shock as, i phoned the hotel the night before to confirm my reservation asking the lad on reception if it was twin room he said yes., i was never told at thsi point, that i was not going to be given the twin room, i was garenteed!! if i knew at this point i would not have stayed at the hotel.
i said fine as it was birthday i just wasnted to get settled go out shopping and get ready for the dinner we had reserved at the restaurant. down on greek street.

room had 1 double bed for me and my friend to share, very small.

just spoit my birthday.

The lady that checked us in Kristy, infact checked us out, all i can say is, if thats the last impression of the hotel, i will be telling everyone i know never to stay there, i can still she her sour face i explained the situation to her about our 3 rooms, all she said wasI TOLD YOU ABOUT THAT WHEN I CHECKED YOU IN YESTERDAY!! i asked to speak to the manager and she said back i am the manager, it just spoilt my birthday, i was in tears all the journey home, i will be writing to the gerneral manager about this.

very poor service, only good thing was concierge, they know everything about leeds, and are very helpfull matt i think he was called.

if you do deceide to stay here make sure, you do confirm the type of room, make sure they clearly spell this out to you.

never stay here again, will be telling everyone about this.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

I would recommend this hotel, me and a friend stayed there for the night as we visited Leeds and Waterfall Spa for the day, I think we had such an amazing day at this spa and then every thing was great about the hotel including the staff been very friendly and the price was good.

• Liked — The location and value
  • Disliked — the decor
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2007

Room was very nice, good size and with very comfortable bed. Bathroom was adequate, clean but small. Service in the hotel was fine, check in and out both quick and smooth. Ate in the hotel restaurant and the food was reasonable, service good.

The main advantage of this hotel is the location. It's right in the city centre and very convenient if visiting Leeds by train.

Would stay again if could get the same deal on the price as room was half price.

• Liked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room away from the lift area
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2006

I just wanted to say how much my friend and I enjoyed our stay at The Leeds Marriott hotel last weekend.

Despite the few minor issues that occured - no exec room issued upon arrival even thou booked and room service breakfast card on Sat still on door in morning (although both these issues were resolved swiftly and with a smile!) we were very impressed with the hotel and service we received.
The staff at breakfast on Sunday were particularly helpful even though they were quite busy - nothing was too much trouble. Our room was spacious, well presented and very clean. We couldn't fault the location and even though we were so central there was no noise from the street below. Fantastic bed and so comfy! We nearly didnt make it to the spa that we had booked!

It was also really nice to see a Manager (Paul) who took such pride in their work and in their team. Some front line managers these days spend too much time in the office and I have to say that it was a refreshing change to see someone so active in the operations within the hotel.
My friend and I will certainly be back - for the food, service, time and trouble, which made our girlie weekend so memorable.

• Liked — Bed was massive and soooo comfy, with lovely linen!
  • Disliked — Mix Up with Room Service Brekkie - although this was resolved...
  • Tips/Secrets — Pay a few quid extra for an Exec room - worth it!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2006

Just returned home after a weekend trip to Leeds: the city was great with fantastic shopping and a very enjoyable atmosphere. The Leeds Marriott enjoys a really good location so at least there's one thing going for it - but generally it was a disappointing hotel.

I had booked a so-called Escape package including one night's dinner and two nights in an executive room and as a Marriott Rewards member spending many nights a year in this chain's hotels, I know what to expect from Marriott. I had written in advance to book a table in one of the two restaurants and written and requested a quiet room. None of my letters were answered and I should have taken this as a sign of what was to come.

We arrived in the afternoon to a nice and well appointed lobby to check in. A sour member of staff checked us in, barely without looking at us. We were then given a room that met none of our requests - we got a road facing room which was cramped, no sign of anything 'executive' (I know what an executive room should offer having stayed in these many times before). The room was very tired and shabby. The receptionist mentioned nothing about the dinner included and nothing about access to the executive lounge. One word about the bedding; the 'Revive' bed somehow does not have the same feel to it as I have encountered in other hotels with this bedding. Having very recently stayed at both the London West India Quay and the Berlin Marriotts, the bedding did not appear as luxurious in the Leeds property (you could feel the springs). I wonder why this is??

Of course it turned out that no tables were available so we had to order room service (and no apologies were offered for not replying to my emails). It took no less than four phone calls and two visits to reception to verify what could be ordered for our meal as part of the package - and we got three different quotes (one at £ 22, one at £24 and one at £30). Meals were very poor and the presentation of the meals testifies to the absolutely terrible attention to detail apparent everywhere at the Leeds Marriott: when ordering the steak (as per menu including Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes ("the speciality") and requesting a side of mushrooms, what turned up was a poor steak with mushrooms and two tomatoes and still a side of (the same) mushrooms. The desserts were also wrong (instead of the ordered selection of sorbets we received fruit salad with a dollop of ice cream in the middle).

I am no food aficionado and was not expecting much - but it was just a sign of the generally poor attitude to guests we encountered; the staff just don't care.

This combined with the fact that our keys had to be re-programmed twice and the executive lounge offered absolutely nothing (do not expect anything from this lounge, it is not worth paying a premium for access), made our stay a very much below average experience. We did not try out the health club facilities but they appeared to be quite good (better than most and the pool looked quite alright).

I know that the Marriott will go through room refurbishment soon and that is very highly needed. But it will take a lot of training and effort on the part of the management to bring this hotel up to standard.

In summary: if you get a good deal, try it out but eat elsewhere and keep down your expectations.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Very poor service, tired rooms, the food offer
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the Radisson SAS instead if presented with choice in four star category
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
tunbridge wells, kent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2006

First impressions very good even if it is hard to find if you are driving there - its down a little side street. Reception very efficient , quick check in but the rooms are a little shabby for a 4 star but clean bathroom.

Problems :

1. Breakfast is a bit canteen like, staff just seem to wander around.
2. Jacuzzi keeps stopping and then wont start for 15 mins.
3. Tiny gym and pool - please dont expect a lot.
4. Food very expensive but just ok.
5. Do not get a room on the end of the hotel - the train track side - the trains dont keep you awake but the clubbers at the nightclub next door that opens from 10pm - 9AM! On a Saturday night! You could hear the music and people talking all night!
6. Valet car aprk - this is merely the concierge taking your car to the NCP for you - it is not cleaned and is cheaper to park yourself its right next door.

When I and 3 other couples complained about the noise of the nightclub the hotel manager advised she could give us entry to the marriott club for free - although its free anyway! I eventually got my money back for the car parking instead.

The hotel is just OK in my opinion - for a 4 star it has its problems!

• Liked — Quick and efficient check in
  • Disliked — Pool, gym, location next to a club and train track
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont expect a great pool and gym. Insist on being on the front section of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Leeds Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!