“As good as I remember” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
“As good as I remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was my third stay at the Leeds Marriott and I would pick it every time. Staff all very friendly and helpful, rooms immaculately clean and spacious, great shower, comfiest beds ever, great location, excellent breakfast...need I go on? Since I was last there three years ago the breakfast room has been changed and is now self service (better) an the hotel bar has been changed, also for the better. My one gripe was having to pay £1 for BBQ sauce on the design your own burger in the bar...but everything else fab.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Becky_Hull

Thank you for your review.

I am please they you like the Midtown Grill and 1871 Bar they have been open now for 18 months and I am glad you agree that they are an improvement on the old product.

We hope to see you again soon

Paul Collins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Greek first
Merseyside, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I am getting fed up writing about my poor experiences at Marriott properties...so suffice to stay I am now going to stop staying at any Marriott branded hotel. The company has forgotten that the main reason people use hotels is to sleep. Providing beds that are so old that the mattress literally folds in the middle so that you roll into your partner and feel like you are sleeping uphill does not do that. My wife literally resorted to sleeping on the floor. The rooms overall are of 1980's livery and desperately need upgrading to justify this hotels supposedly premium branding...

Dear Neil H

Thank you for your review.

As per our discussion re the condition of your mattress I can only once again apologise and explain again that the mattresses here at the Leeds Marriott are in the process of being replaced.

Seaham Harbour, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here on a one night visit to leeds. On check in, we were offered an upgrade for £40 to get a better room, access to the members lounge (free drink and nibbles from 5.30-8.30pm), and breakfast the next morning! This was definitely worth the money. The room was lovely and cosy. Visited the spa in the morning and the pool was spotless, as was the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Overall a lovely stay and very reasonably priced. Would definitely recommend and will probably return if we ever go back to leeds! :-)

Dear Nataliexox

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us especially the upgraded package and the Leisure Club.

I hope we can welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed one night as we were attending a charity function at the Hotel. The hotel is nice and is situated in the centre of Leeds close to shops and nightlife.

Our room was overlooking the street however the glazing meant you hear nothing it was clean and tidy and with everything you expect.

Breakfast was good and good selection of food was very busy but there was no waiting for food as pointed out in previous posts.

My main critism was service from the desk staff. When I booked I had been told a number of rooms had been set aside for people attending the function at a concessioned rate. When i rang the hotel I was told that the rooms had gone so had to book at normal rate. I queried this with the events organiser who after a quick phone call to the manager said there was still rooms left at the concessioned rate. So I rang back explained what had happened and was told it was a mistake and I would be now booked in on the new rate.

When we woke our bill had been pushed under the door and showed the room at normal rate and also use of the mini bar (which you need to watch). On the way to breakfast I went to the desk to querie the cost to be told by the girl on the desk she couldnt do anything till she could speak to her manager who wasnt there at that moment although she was joined by a further lady who I later found to be her manager and could have sorted it there and then. As for the mini bar bill she said we must have moved something in the fridge and deducted it.

When I returned to sort the bill the bar issue seemed to be a common theme as most had been charged and queried it, as for my room i got it sorted but after a bit of a to do.

I have marked my stay average as there is no good option, the service by the desk and booking staff let the place down.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PDents

Thank you for your review for your recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the room rates and the way the enquiry was handled.
The minibar charges items automatically when they are moved so from time to time we have to make adjustments when the items have not been used.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

Exeter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Previous visits to Marriott hotels had led us to expect an average sort of experience. We were pleasantly surprised to find a hotel belonging to this chain which was a bit better than the rest. The staff were invariably pleasant, polite and helpful. Our room (although a bit dark) was spacious and very clean and comfortable. The breakfast experience was very good and the swimming pool and related facilities were of a high standard. One real disappointment was the one evening meal we had which we did not enjoy as it did seem rather "ordinary" for a hotel of this standing. Also, the hotel is very well placed for the centre of the city for shopping and entertainment. However, the local area - including the hotel's own bar - is a focal point for late evening activity which can be rather noisy although the hotel's double glazing is pretty effective to keep the noise out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Ian C

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we exceeded your expectations.

As you have said the hotel is in the centre of Leeds so all the shopping night life and restaurants are on the doorstep.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Yet again another most relaxing stay in Leeds , this hotel has to be the best placed in the city as it is close to all amenities , the staff are all very pleasant and if you have a problem they get it sorted as quick as they possibly can . A bit of a bonus now is the cheaper car parking the NCP has been taken over by trinity shopping and a 24 hour stay is now £9.00 instead of the astronomical £17.50 ,you di however need to have your car park ticket stamped in the reception of the hotel to get this rate .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Andy B

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the service you received.

The Car Parking arrangements are much improved since Trinity shopping centre have taken it over.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Chorley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Booked a 22+ person conference overnight. Staff were hardworking but condition of facilities were extremely poor. We had 4 meeting rooms, all had scuffed walls, stained carpets, stained curtains, wall panels that didn't close, one light switch came off the wall when I pressed it. Plethora of of glass tables around that we're full of greasy marks and prints. Whole impression was one of grubbiness and the telephones with deposits of unidentified brown stuff on them were particularly unpleasant. Originally arrived to find rooms had been set up with scuffed and scratched Mdf meeting tables and had to insist that they were covered in tablecloths. I'm a manager of private hospitals and I understand the cost of refurbs but there has to be a minimum standard. And there is no excuse for dirty facilities. Bedroom was in better condition, small but comfortable however even when noisy aircon is off there is a constant airflow noise which was enough to keep me awake, gave up after 4 hours.

Room Tip: Ask if they have one with no aircon noise even when it's off.