“A Four Star Joke for leeds equivalent of Faulty Towers” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Met

You added The Met to your Saves list
The Met
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   King Street, Leeds LS1 2HQ, England (Formerly Metropole Hotel)   |
Ranked #53 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
York
“A Four Star Joke for leeds equivalent of Faulty Towers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

I was offered a traditional room on the top floor. I must admit the room was certainly traditional, like a throw back from a 80's dinner party. Tatty, cheap, tired and battered decor and furniture, a window that could not be opened or fully closed, no air conditioning (it was boiling) and the offer of the cheap, noisy, oscillating fan and the drone of traffic for comfort. It's nice to see £6m was well invested in the restoration in keeping with a grade II listed building.

At 1am I called reception to leave. A night porter (very nice fellow) secured me another room and thankfully a fan which was a marginal step up from the previous nightmare. The room was small, a single bed and once again noisy and uncomfortable.
A four star hotel, £6m investment, £2m spent on oscillating fans from Argos! It's a good job the service as just as bad (except the night porter)

I'm a seasoned traveler, I spend 2-3 nights a week in hotels up and down the country and I can safely say stay somewhere else, don’t take the risk when there are so many safer options.

The Service is a joke, as a Brit who doesn't complain ….. for once did ! I got a very lackluster apology. Clearly this hotel needs every penny it can get, to complete floor six and acquire further oscillating fans!

Terrible !

Dear Guest

I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding your recent stay. It is true to say the traditional rooms are older in décor than contemporary rooms, however customers do feel the benefit of this in the price. As a listed building we do experience some restrictions in terms of facilities but most customers enjoy the ambience of the property.

We as a team we endeavour to offer the very best in service and take all comments /feedback as way of driving our service offering forward, and therefore would like to thank you for your comments which we will work upon resolving immediately. I am more than happy to discuss the issues you experienced with you if you would like to contcat me.

Deborah Heather

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chorley, Lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Having read the recent poor reviews for the Met I just want to put the record straight having spent the bank holiday weekend here. The staff were all excellent. The room was great. The bed was comfy. Breakfast was a very enjoyable experience. It was incredible value for money & i'm planning another visit soon. Well done the Met.
Little tip for anyone going to Leeds, try Thai Edge for your lunch & Blackhouse for your evening meal, both walking distance from the Met & both on top form.

Dear Karl

I am very grateful to you for putting the positives of The Met forward and would like to thank you for the 5 score that you gave us. We are constantly endeavouring to improve our product and service and I can assure you that the comfort and enjoyment of our guests is the key focus of the team.

Leeds, is a great city and we are so well placed in the heart of the city but on a quiet street. I do hope we can welcome you back and would be delighted if you could let me know so that I could ensure we enhance your visit.

Best Wishes

scunthorpe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

stayed at the met hotel 17 may 2009 the hotel was great the room was nice and clean the bathroom was very large . the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful i would recomend this hotel to anybody. it was very quiet at night never heard a thing breakfast was very good there was a good selection to choose from

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your score of 5. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel. Being a listed building we have some exceptionally large rooms which I consider well worth the small extra charge to upgrade.

We offer a wide selection of breakfast choices and the team are always keen to help if there is something you would prefer that is not available.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future and would be delighted to hear from you should you wish to return when I can ensure we offer small token of our appreciation during your visit.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

I am very much a seasoned traveller & I can honestly say this was one of my worst experiences at a 4* hotel.

- The hotel is in the middle of a renovation (the entire hotel is covered with mesh & scaffolding covering what looked like every window) No renovation was mentioned on my confirmation.

- My bedroom was one of the "older style rooms" not only did the bed take up 90% of the floor space, but the decor has 2* quality (room 603).

- The only lift in the hotel was broken one evening. Climbing 5 flights of stairs is not the most enjoyable at the best of times.

- I requested a wake up call, which never came, thus missing an important meeting.

- Complete lack of communication between departments, my room was inclusive of dinner & I was presented with the bill!

- General sloppy service & attitude

I would avoid staying at this hotel until the refurbishments has been completed & serious training for the staff.

Dear Sir

I am very disappointed to read of your experiences at The Met Hotel. We have been carrying out some restoration work on the listed façade of the property. An emergency and is now coming to completion. As an important listed building and the oldest existing Hotel in Leeds, we have sometimes a more challenging property to run, than other modern properties, although many of our customers value the old world ambience with the modern touches.

I am sorry that you were disappointed by your recent stay and would be delighted to discuss this further with you should you wish to contact me. We do endeavour to ensure we offer quality service and would like to assure you that this will be a continuing focus for us going forward.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

BELOW IS A LETTER I'LL BE EMAILING TO LEEDS MET MANAGEMENT.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write to complain about what I thought was a very poor service and generally unsatisfactory stay at your hotel.

I am shocked that you proclaim yourself an 'upper four star' hotel and many (if not all) of my complaints stem from the fact that I would associate a four star standard with a impeccable presentation and upkeep.

FYI I stayed in your hotel in room 504 on 11th May 2009.

* The room was very small by the standards I would expect from four star. Poky would be the relevant word.
* There was no minibar
* As said by another person who has commented here: you do not make it clear and up-front that building work is taking place. This is noisy and people should be in full consciousness of this fact when deciding whether to give you their money.
* Internet access was shockingly priced (£15.00 or so for 24hrs), this charge was not up front and clear (instead stated in a small window that appeared on the computer screen, which was not noticed by this particular punter) and I know of few 4 stars who consider that they should charge on top of their rates for the internet email.
* The state of the furnishings in the room was poor. It doesn't appear that you've bothered to replace or repair bedside or TV tables when they've grown warn. Nor do you seem to replace your literature very often, as it was tatty and warn.
* The state of the fittings in the room was poor. The shower door was not water tight or large enough, meaning that the bathroom floor got very wet in the natural course of a shower. The taps in the bathroom, aside from being rather unstylish and unsightly, more importantly did not work well and appeared to need new washers.
* The bed was lumpy and not at all comfortable.
* The room was noisy and night and had a constant humming emanating from around the bathroom area.
* There was food left in the hallway for at least 3hours near to the lift, which was neither hygenic nor the level of service I would expect.

Many of these criticisms I would not make for a budget hotel. You're prepared to work your way around flaws if you're accepting a bargain basement place. However, I think it's right to be particular if you're paying for a certain standard.

However, I would not consider your hotel up to that standard and strongly advise other potential visitors to think twice before they stay at Leeds Met.

Go for assured quality elsewhere, say I.

Yours faithfully,
Ben Walford

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

On arrival at the hotel we were surprised to see it was covered in scaffolding (externally and internally) as we'd read on the hotel website that the hotel had recently been refurished so assumed this was now complete. It does not mention on there that the refurbishment is still ongoing or warn of disruption/noise due to building work as had we known, we would've have booked elsewhere as the reason we stayed there was for a relaxing stress free overnight break.

We were disappointed to find that although the hotel had it's own parking, we had to pay £10 to park there - usually parking is free when staying at a hotel. We could not fault the staff we dealt with as they were friendly, polite and extremely helpful. Due to an appointment the following afternoon, we asked for a late checkout and the lady on reception kindly allowed this for which we were very grateful. Check in was very quick. We then got to our room and were pleased with the size of it, it had a good size bedroom with an additional seating area so very roomy. When booking the hotel we got a special rate through Laterooms which included breakfast and a bottle of wine in the room on arrival. We saw straight away that there was no wine for us in the room but as it was now fairly late and we were tired after a 5 hour drive up to Leeds we didn't have the energy to chase that although really we should have, we didn't bother the next morning either as by then the moment had gone.

We then decided to turn in for the night and that was when we realised that although the bed looked very nicely done, it was in fact quite shoddy. The sheet barely fitted the bed and was therefore just lying on top of the mattress without actually being tucked in and the mattress protector below wasn't on properly so I had to put that right - there is something a bit wrong about me having to make my own bed in a hotel before I sleep in it! The mattress was fairly hard which we could cope with but it was the quality of the pillows that we found to be awful, especially in a 4 star hotel. They were the most terrible and cheap quality I have ever seen. One was so flat and hard my partner ended up sleeping without a pillow and the other one was huge, bumpy and hard - it started to give me a headache so I had to do without aswell. I then found two more spares in the wardrobe but these weren't much better. My view of a 4 star hotel (and my previous experience of 4 star and less) was one of nice comfy beds with plump comfortable pillows you sink into - that was not the case here. The pillows, or lack of a decent one, resulted in us having the worst night sleep we have ever had in a hotel. A decent quality pillow is one of the most important things in getting a good night sleep so a hotel of that standard should take that into account and provide them.

The next problem was to do with the lack of soundproofing in the room. We were on the 4th floor of the hotel overlooking a side street and an office building but we could still hear really loud road noise throughout the night. The night was then topped off when we were woken at at 6am in the morning by the sound of binmen/lorries in the street outside emptying skips/rubbish! When they'd gone the noise was then replaced by the sound of building work taking place outside the hotel which then continued for the rest of the time we were there. It was terrible. Our windows were shut yet the noise levels made it sound like they were all wide open. We ended up feeling less refreshed in the morning than we had when we arrived there due to such a terrible night's sleep. Our only consolation was the thought that we didn't have to check out so early.

We then went for breakfast which brought about a few more problems in that we both asked for tea yet we were given a pot for one to share which was not enough, we ended up with only half a cup each and then got a look of surprise when we asked for another pot. The toast was also so undercooked that calling it toast would be a lie! It was actually just slightly warmed bread so we ended up leaving most of it. The small jars of preserves on the table when we got there had obviously been left from the previous occupants of the table so had a few little scrapings left in the bottom which in my view is not right either. A 4 star hotel can surely afford to provide fresh new pots for each sitting rather than leaving us with somebody else's leftovers - it's not like they were full sized jars? The cooked breakfast itself was nice though and there was a decent selection of food there.

It's a shame really about all the above as the hotel location was great in that it was near the shopping centres and train station so very central and the staff we encountered were really nice and friendly. The building itself was also very nice (if you took away the scaffolding). Whilst I understand in a building of that age there is due to be some problems, the ones we encountered were not down to the building itself but more to do with the lack of quality which should not be the case after a large refurbishment or in a 4 star hotel.

north-east england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

This stunning old building has been tastefully renovated and is very central for the city. The rooms are big and airy with modern decor. My bathroom was huge and well equipped (towels are very soft!).

If I had to find a gripe, it would only be that the room was a little cold during the day as the radiators aren't turned on until 7pm.

But overall, I'd really recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Met? Share your experiences!