“what would the hotel inspector think?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Met

You added The Met to your Saves list
The Met
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   King Street, Leeds LS1 2HQ, England (Formerly Metropole Hotel)   |
Ranked #52 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“what would the hotel inspector think?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed here on the 9th and 18th of September and in different rooms - one was twin and the other a double room.

a great amount of money has put in to make the restaurant and reception areas look really good but it is deceptive. If you look at the pictures from real customer they show the rooms as they really are.

decor changes from room to room - some rooms the decor is alright but both times the windows were and tired and did not keep out the sound.

it is a listed building but so is the Queens and that has secondary glazing in addition to the normal windows to keep out the noise and you do have to watch out for it the lower floor who are, as I was woken up at 5.50 am with noise from rubbish bins and glass etc.

the double room decor was tired and dated and the carpets worn and tired and paint and decor is the bathroom was also tired with paint peeling off in places and other areas needed decorating.

the curtains in both rooms were tired and need replacing.

tea and coffee facilities were ok

television was fine though it would better to freeview as standard

breakfast was very standard and I cannot say it was any better than anywhere else
the scambled egg had dried up in places - only one choice of sausage and bacon was not fresh and overcooked but this is what happens with buffet breakfast - the toast was very late and so was the tea - came after I had finished my meal

the guy with the blond hair who ran things was miserable and not exactly friendly

receptionists were nice

kept up to 1.00 am with booming bass from the party being held and also woken up by man on the 6th floor above me who was like an elephant upstairs at 5.40 am and did not leave until after 8.30 am

really I should have had a partial refund and they need to upgrade and freshen up the rooms and even change the scheme colour

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Jaylee1814,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. It is through these reviews that we are able to constantly check our current service and offering.

I am sorry to hear that you did not have the most enjoyable experience whilst staying with us. We value all feedback from guests and as a business we are constantly looking to better ourselves and adapt to best meet the needs of the modern day guest.
We are currently going through an productive upgrade of all our bedrooms which should bring them more in line with the current market demands.
Your comments will allow us to assess our offering and adapt to ensure that we better fulfil our guests requirements in the future.

I do hope that you may return to us in the future so that you may judge these changes for yourself

Simone Sansom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Great location and great looking hotel externally. Reception staff helpful and friendly on check in but when I tried to phone down to report broken tv remote it took 5 calls and 15 minutes before I finally got a response from room service !! I even phoned hotel on external line but got no reply!!! Rooms small but refurbished to reasonable standard. 5 floors and only one elevator leads to long wait and congestion but I guess it's a listed building and so no more lifts can be installed?! good breakfast. Overnight car park charge for residents a rip off rate at £20!!

Dear PaulSmithcasty,

It was most pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Met Hotel and that you were able to experience the service quality that we pride ourselves on.
Your comments regarding the length of time it took room service to answer will be looked into immediately. I trust that this didn’t spoil the overall experience of your stay.
I do hope that we are able to continue to welcome you to The Met any time that you are in the area.

Once again thank you for your review

Yours sincerely

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked this hotel through a hen party company and were completely shocked by the lack of staff and service.
On arrival we had an hour to wait, so we decided to have food in the hotel and ordered 6 afternoon teas at £14 per head. We did not get served tea and coffee straight away - a waitress came out to check what we ordered and took a menu away, shortly followed by the chef. When eventually she came out to bring cups for tea and coffee, not only was one filthy that she took a phonecall whilst serving us and disappeared for ten minutes. When the afternoon tea was finally brought out there was the equivalent of two slices of bread per person, and 9 scones, 3 fruit tarts 4 profiteroles, and some cupcakes with a gloop of icing and a rolo on the top something my children could have made. the bread was dry and everything was cut into different sizes - and yet again numerous dirty cups and plates came out but received no apology from the waiting staff.

All in all this took about an hour to come out, then a member of our party who is allergic to wheat and dairy ordered soup - she informed them of her allergy but she received a bread roll and butter on her plate with the soup?

We requested to speak to the duty manager who took 3 hours to come and see us! we did receive for each room a bottle of wine complimentary. We then attempted to order a bowl of chips as we were still hungry - 45 minutes to come! again another apology from manager and an offer of a bottle of wine (we were going home with more wine than we had come with!)

The room was clean and tidy however there was a tile hanging down in the bathroom and the shower leaked so we ended up with a mini flood

At breakfast time the food was nice however in the two hours we were sat there we never had any plates cleared - make sure again you check for dirty lipstick marks! And even saw the receptionist later on cleaning tables.

Overall this hotel needs some staff who are not rude and who can provide food for guests as they required

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Emma S,

Thank you for taking the time to leave comment on your experience, it is through comments such as yours that we are able to assess our offering to our guests.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for your below par experience.
I do believe that our Operations Manager has been in contact with you directly regarding your experience and hope that our offer has gone someway in restoring your faith in the Hotel.

Once again please accept my apologies for the difficulties that you encountered

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Suspicious stains on walls x 2, one complete with handprint trail....
Blood splat on desk x1 (no really, Mrs Housekeeping Lady - I KNOW what blood looks like!)
Pungent cigarette smoke odour (non-smoking hotel)
Faulty iron (reminiscent of the first Mrs Barlow!?)
Faulty phone
Karaoke at top pelt through closed window at 23:30 (Viva Las Vegas and Ring of Fire being the last two discernible renditions)
No dead body found. Thus far.
Goodnight.

• Stayed September 2013
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Yorkshirefella,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for your below par experience at The Met Hotel. These incidents are certainly not reflective of the standard and quality that we set for ourselves and these incidents will be looked into with immediate effect.

Once again please accept my apologies for the difficulties that you encountered

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We recently stayed in the Met hotel as we're paying a flying visit to Leeds and it is excellently positioned about 4 minutes walk from the station and close to the town centre. We literally only used the bedroom so am unable to comment on the quality of breakfast.

The room was what I would describe as good. It had a very comfortable bed but considering we booked the double room a few things disappointed. When showering we noticed that we had been provided with only one large towel and on check out were advised that the second was stored in the cupboard. I understand that they probably cater for mainly business people during the week but at the weekend this is unhelpful and obviously not the first place you would look for a second towel.

The hotel in general was well kept although could do with a bit of a modernisation to take it up to a higher score. It's unusual to see a box tv nowadays but it worked so I wouldn't complain.

Overall this is a great option for short stays and very convenient for amenities within the city. I would stay here again as we got the room for a bargain price.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear KMP_8,

It was pleasing to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your experience at The Met Hotel.
Regarding your comments on the towels, with have with immediate effect now changed our policy so that the second set of towels are now placed in the bathroom during weekend stays.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Met Hotel at some point in the future

Brighton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This is a clean and good located hotel, reception staff were friendly but that's where it ends. I'm staying here in business and need to work in the room.

The first room 413 had a tiny bed pushed against a wall, a small window opening to brick walls and a fire escape and a bathroom where you couldn't swing a mouse! Now admittedly in 6ft 5 but the shower was old and tired and the toilet was persistently filling up, however the noise did drown out the drone of the machine noise from outside which may have been the fans for the kitchens?

It was so hot you had to have the windows open. Give them their due they did move me. To another room one floor higher with the same machine noise clearly audible through the window. At least this one had a slightly bigger bathroom.

Admittedly the room is booked on a business rate but that means the people here have travelled a distance and will need to work! a nice room that is quiet and with a decent TV and nice bathroom to relax in are all essential of the business traveler. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in for business!

I will be asking my company to never book me in here again. I was made to feel like a thief when I was told after being moved the duty manager will have to come and check the room I was leaving to make sure everything is ok?

Totally awful, roll on tomorrow when I leave. Can't comment on breakfast yet as I haven't had it.

I was advised by colleagues that food isn't great here for evening meals but breakfast is ok.

If your here socially it's probably ok, if you need to work don't bother there are plenty of choices in Leeds, don't pick this one.

Dear ScottBN1,

Please accept my apologies for the difficulties that you faced during your stay. We are at the moment in the middle of an ongoing process to upgrade and enhance our products and services so that they are more inline with the modern day traveller. Your comments will most certainly help in this process and for this I thank you.

I do hope that at some point in the future you are able to return to us so that you may be able to judge the many changes that we are making for yourself.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Second time to stay here....rooms okay, but nothing to write home about. The bar and restaurant were the real issues! Waited for the restaurant to open only to find out after an hour of waiting that it was "suddenly" closed for the evening! Was able to order from the dinner menu in the bar though, so gave it a whirl... Steak... Peppercorn sauce n chips with a small glass of wine... Reasonable at £26 in heart of Leeds... Came out late... Cold... Full if grissle!! Not pleased.... Eating on the low bar table cutting up the steak as I type!!! Not fun... Won't be back! Recommend the Hilton or queens... Both close to station and better food! Service appalling!! Haven't seen the batman for 20 mins... People waiting at bar the whole time... Come on ph!! U can do better than this!! Ettington chase and sister chain in Cheshire so much better!!!

Dear AlabamaJesus,

It was most concerning to read of the difficulties that you encountered during your stay with us, particularly relating to that of the restaurant and the bar service.
I must apologise for any poor service you encountered whilst with us, it is certainly not the standard that we operate too and will be immediately looked to conclude how this incident was allowed to occur.
I will also pass your comments onto our chef who will again be very disappointed to hear that substandard food was allowed to leave his kitchen.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back at some point in the future to show you a true reflection of the service and quality that we pride ourselves

Simone Sansom

Been to The Met? Share your experiences!