“Great location, rooms poor” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Met

You added The Met to your Saves list
The Met
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   King Street, Leeds LS1 2HQ, England (Formerly Metropole Hotel)   |
Ranked #52 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Great location, rooms poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Right in the centre (so bear that in mind if you expect a quiet night!) great for a weekend away and not bothered at all by road noise as expected it being in the city. There are a small number of parking spaces onsite, with more avaliable in a public carpark nearby.

Staff service was good, check in quick and requests for extras delivered promptly. In particular, the F&B Supervisor looking after us the first evening (Had a two day spa package which included a brilliant pizza buffet) and in charge of the breakfast room on the first morning was both efficient and friendly and seemed to work twice as hard as everyone else!

The standard of the bedrooms and public areas are what has knocked down my overall score - at first glance the lobby is grand and impressive, but when you get closer, you start to notice the dust all over the chandelier, dirty mugs and litter all around the coffee station in the lobby and bizarre plastic/leather seating. The bedrooms, whilst cleaner than the public areas, seem lacking in comfort - giant kingsized bed with one flat pillow per person, and vast areas of space with little to no furniture, made the room feel like a prison cell! Not even an armchair to sit in.

I would return to this hotel, for its location alone, but only if the price was right as I wouldn't want to pay 4* price for a hotel which, I feel, is more three star.

Room Tip: Rooms over the entrance with the bay window are huge (even though they are sparce) but will have ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Herindoors1985

Thank you for taking the time to leave comment on your experience at The Met. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to assess our offering to our guests.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your experience on your “Sparty” weekend. Your comments regarding the public areas and the bedrooms will certainly be addressed immediately.

Simone Sansom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here in June 2013. The building is impressive and the staff smart and friendly. However the room (308)was in much need of a refurb.

Carpet stained in the room where the bath had overflowed sometime in the past
mould around the bath tiles/seal

Beds were uncomfortable and small (Premier Inn are much better).

Noise from the road during the night, not helped by single glazing.

Noise was also apparent during the night from what sounded like a lift, although the room is not near the lift.

On the plus side the room was spacious and breakfast was very nice.

On the whole if it wasn't for for the fact I had got a good price on the stay from a 3rd party website I would have marked it lower than 2.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Soulie60

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. It is through these reviews that we are able to constantly check our current service and offering.

The Met is currently going through a continual process to upgrade the facilities of our bedrooms which we offer. Your comments are very well received and will be used as part of this process to ensure that future guests do not experience the same difficulties that you have faced.

I would be delighted to welcome you back at some point in near future so that you may judge these changes for yourself

Yours sincerely

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

When you walk in the hotel it is impressive and you think "oh this is nice" and the you get given the room and eat the food!! The room (216) was possibly the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in and the bed was not big enough to be a double. The duvet cover was about emporer size though but the duvet cover didn't fit which is probably why they tucked three quarters of it under the mattress to make you feel like you are sleeping on a slope. I stayed two nights and on both nights I ordered room service (staying alone) and both nights it was less than average and for too expensive. £25 for a sandwich, chips, half a coke and a bit of cheese. I complained but the chef had gone home so hard luck to me! I would definitely not stay here again, would have been better to stay in a budget hotel rather than pay £130 to stay here for two nights! I would tell people to avoid!!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Susan G

Thank you for your review, it is through these reviews that we are able to constantly assess and monitor our current offering to our guests.

It is disappointing to hear that you did not have a 100% enjoyable stay.
Your comments regarding the food and the bed are certainly ones that I will address immediately with our team.
I would also welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay with you in more detail.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future so we are able to show to you the true quality that we pride ourselves on

Jarrow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at the met hotel Located 2 mins from the train station you could not ask for a more central location. The hotel itself was excellent stayed on the 4th floor .

The rooms were nice and cosy not to small with everything you needed. Tea coffee making ,iron and board, hairdryer, tv ,internet and a huge bathroom.Breakfast was excellent serving cereal ,friut,full english . The staff were well trained , polite and very helpful.

really enjoyed our stay and have already recommended to a friend whom is a frequent visitor to leeds.

leeds itself is a great location to explore york 20mins and manchester 40mins by train and not expensive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Carol1158798

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you have already been able to recommend us to your friends.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

My better half and me stayed here when visiting leeds, the rooms were very spacious and well presented with a lovely bathroom. The hotel restaurant was pricy (£16 per main course) but the food was well cooked and delicious, I'd recommend trying it but be prepared to squint at the bill. For the price I'd say the hotel is amazing value and would recommend it! Very helpful staff and great service.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Alexthedodds

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there last year for 2 nights. We got a tiny room with so tiny bed that we couldn't sleep at night I even think that the duvet was single. When one of us moved a little bit form a straight position other one almost fall from the bed. We didn't sleep well and we didn't woke up for a breakfast because we were so tired after night. Cleanless of the room wasn't very good. I noticed holes and some stains on towels. We decided to eat a dinner in tempus restaurant. Food was good but we wait so long... I know that I won't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Patricia K

Thank you for taking the time to leave comment on your experience at The Met in 2012.

Its disappointing to read that you didn’t have a great experience when you visited us last year. Please let me assure you that various procedures and actions have been put into place to prevent a repeat of the incidents which you described.
I do hope that you will return to us soon so that you are able to witness the changes that the hotel has made to ensure customers satisfaction is at its absolute premium

Filey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

They tried to charge me for food they never brought. The bar is unmanned. They had a huge event on and sleep was impossible. WARNING: This is not 4 star. It's a Blackpool style B&B experience. I know this sounds like I'm a loon who rants when upset. I'm not. I prefer just to decide not to buy something again and bite with my feet but this place is horrid. Can't wait to leave and will never ever come back. Arghhhhhhh!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear FelicitasMedia

Thank you for taking the time to leave comment on your experience.

It was disappointing to read that you had a number of difficulties during your stay.
I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this with you further and would appreciate it if you would contact our Operations Manager on Joseph.Farrar@principal-hayley.com

Simone Sansom

Been to The Met? Share your experiences!