“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Met

Save Saved
You added The Met to your Saves list
The Met
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   King Street, Leeds LS1 2HQ, England (Formerly Metropole Hotel)   |
Ranked #50 of 89 hotels in Leeds
Chislehurst
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was recommended this hotel by a friend and I have to say I was mightily disappointed. The foyer and entrance are gorgeous and lead to a feeling of grandeur, unfortunately the rooms do not reflect this.
My room was very small and cramped with an antiquated TV and paper thin walls. The bed was really comfortable but I could hear the conversation (in detail) that the room next were having. To try and drown out the noise I attempted to find something to watch on Tv but with only a handful of channels to choose from, this wasn't the solution. Fired up the laptop but I think the hotel must be made of steel as I couldn't get a signal at all.
Such a shame as it looked so good in the photos and it had ben recommended. Maybe I just had a bad room?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Nicky W

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your stay with us at The Met Hotel. It is through this feedback that we are able to consistently assess our current service offering.

It is disappointing to hear that you did not have a pleasurable stay at The Met, with various factors seemingly influencing this. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your unsatisfactory stay with you further in more detail if possible. I would ask that you kindly contact our Operations Manager on Joseph.Farrar@principal-hayley.com so that we may discuss this.

Once again thank you for your comments,

Kind Regards

800 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rosyth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a few times now so this review is an amalgamation of my stays.
Location: I need to be near the rail station so the location is good for me. It's quite central for the financial district and there are a decent selections of restaurants, bars, etc close by.
The rooms: the rooms I have stayed in are starting to get quite tired. Some examples of what I mean are: tatty furniture, large water stain in the ceiling of the bathroom in my most recent room (314) some rooms are very cold in winter, some are fine. None have air con.
TV's are not very impressive by modern hotel standards. They are old CRT units. With limited choice of 9 freeview channels and in my experience poor reception.
The beds seem quite comfortable and noise levels are fine.
There is no wifi in the rooms which in this day is pretty rubbish. They do have wired access but this is no good for an iPad (there is wifi in the downstairs lounge area)
The restaurant is quite nice with a decent selection and breakfast is good.
The room service menu is also good with a couple of vegetarian choices.
The staff in general are quite friendly and helpful

Suggestions to improve customer satisfaction:
Better TV's and more choice of channels (sky1)
WiFI in rooms
Air Con in rooms so customers can control comfort levels to suit varying needs

I would prioritise these improvements over furniture replacement etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Camera Colin,

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments on your past experiences at The Met Hotel. We welcome all responses from guests as it allows us to continually develop our current offering.
It is pleasing that you continually return to The Met when in the area and that you find our central location most convenient.
I am disappointed to read however that you have had a mixed bag of rooms whilst you have stayed at The Met.
Your suggestions for improvements are very much in line with the Hotels current development plan and many of these changes should hopefully be made sooner rather than later.

I do hope that we are able to continue to welcome you to The Met any time that you are in the area and that over the next few months you notice an upturn in the service offering.

Once again thank you for your review

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have stayed in several Principal Hayley so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. I arrived late on Sunday evening and received a warm welcome from the reception staff. The room I was allocated was large and ariy and well appointed although the furnshings and decor were a little bit tired. Unfortunately the large bay window overlooked King Street and it wasn't long after turning in for the night that I realised this was not a plus point. King Street forms part Leeds infamous "LOOP" and the traffic noise was non-stop. Whilst I don't expect complete silence when staying in city centre hotels this was as bad as I have expererinced. The window was single glazed and I hardly slept a wink. I gave up trying at around 5am and asked reception to find me a different room. The staff were suitably concerned and accommodating. I was quickly provided with a new room, unfortunately this one also overlooked King Street, as did the next one, however room no.4 was perfect, it overlooked an inner well so no view but it was really very quiet and the rest of my 5 night stay was blissful. The conference staff were excellent, providing a friendly and efficient support service to me and my delegates during the training courses I was there to deliver. My delegates were full of praise for the lunches offered and the overall level of service provided. This hotel chain has a standard menu in its restaurant but the food here was easily the best compared with the 3 other PH hotels I have stayed at, even the cooked food on the buffet breakfast was above average. Bar and restaurant prices were a bit steep but the hotels central location means there are a huge number of bars and restaurants within 5 minutes of the hotel so even if you are on a budget this should not be an issue. Despite the traffic noise on the first night I found it hard to fault the offering, the staff were excellent throughout my stay and nothing was too much trouble for them and that often makes all the difference. would I stay again... yes.

Room Tip: Avoid the front of the hotel if the room has no secondary glazing
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Andrew R

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us at The Met Hotel, we very much appreciate all feedback as it forms the basis for the continual development of our product and services.
I am pleased that Principal Hayley is one of your favoured hotel chains and that we were able to welcome you for the first time to The Met.
It was however disappointing to hear that the first room you checked in too was far from the desired standard and for this I apologise; I am pleased that our team was able to find you suitable accommodation in a different room which faced a different local.

I am also very pleased to hear that your conference training course was a success with the aid of the conference team; I certainly hope that we will get to welcome you back for more courses in the future.

Once again thank you for your review

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for a weekend in February and i must say that we were very impressed. Reading some of the other reviews i was a little sceptical, but i need not have worried. Immediately when you walk through the door you get a feeling of grandeur with an enormous lobby that leads off in all different directions ( very intriguing ). Check-in was quick and efficient done by a very cheery young lady. The bedroom was a nice size and we both had a fantastic nights sleep. The bathroom was also great, I had a lovely shower in the morning. The only draw back may have been the TV in the bedroom, it is old fashioned and to some people it may have been a problem that it only had a few very basic channels - fortunately for us, we were more interested in dinner and drinks that night so it didn't bother us.

We dined in the restaurant that night and the food was lovely, but the service was excellent. The young chap that served us was great, the restaurant had about 12 other tables in but he made us feel as if we were the only people in the room, it was a great personal touch.

After Dinner we wanted to head out into Leeds for a few drinks, all the staff were very helpful in recommending a host of different bars for us to try that would have suited any taste that we had.

All in all it was a great experience, we had a peaceful sleep, great dinner and wonderful service. Not much more to ask.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Becks82_10

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review of your stay at The Met Hotel, feedback from guests is always very much appreciated as it allows us to constantly assess our current service and procedures.

It was fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the service and quality that we offer surpassed your expectations. It is always our aim that every guest leaves having had a 100% positive experience.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Service excellent at reception and in restaurant. Public areas stylish, warm and comfortable. Stayed one night on the 3rd floor on the front of the hotel (Valentine package with chocolates and sparkling wine in the room. We were expecting half a dozen Dairy Box/ Black Magic but what we actually got was a large plate full of beautiful hand made chocolates and fancies ! Very, very nice). Corridor and the room recently refurbished I would say. Room warm, clean and well equipped - but surprisingly with old style TV - didn't bother us though. Nice bathroom. Comfy bed, good nights sleep. Package also included evening meal with an allowance of £25 PP - hard pressed to get 3 courses in for that - but it was delicious. The restaurant was dark and poorly lit - it was hard to see your meal. However there is no shortage of eateries in town. This hotel is great for city visit - 5 mins from the station and about 10 from the shops. We liked how the Victorian and Modern architecture worked together in this city. Lovely old Victorian arcades and nice pedestrianised shopping. We visited the Royal Armouries (free entry) - plenty to see but we didn't allow enough time - will go again. In conclusion, a great stay and we would definitely go back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear BenBrierley

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on your stay at The Met Hotel, feedback from guests is always very much appreciated as it allows us to constantly assess our current service and procedures.

It was fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the service and quality that we offer surpassed your expectations. I do hope you and your partner had a fantastic valentines day and to know that we were a part of that is very special.

Whitefish, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Booked through LastMinute.com. Secret hotel. Described as a refurbished room in a 4* hotel. Double room for 2 people, only one side of bed was easily accessible. Chipped furniture. Dirty net curtains. Large old-fashioned television taking up a lot of space. It is the norm for flat-screen televisions now. They also take up less space. Dingy and tired-looking room. Black mould in bathroom. Shower screen not cleaned properly. Chipped and cracked floor tiles with rudimentary repair. Was told car parking £3.00-4.00 for the night. I was charged £20.00. If this is 4* accommodation then the Premier Inn accommodation must be 5* at least... Next time I won't waste my time looking, I'll just go straight to a Premier Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mnevis

Once again thank you for your comments,

Kind Regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in room 607 and would stay again.
Nice, quiet, clean room at the back of the hotel which looked like it had been recently upgraded. Large, clean bathroom & very comfy bed. Had a peaceful nights sleep. For my evening meal I had fish finger sandwich which came with fries and tartar sauce for £9.95 which I felt was expensive for what it was albeit very tasty. Breakfast was amazing, the restaurant was poorly lit but it didn't affect me much as I sat by the window.
Overall I was happy with my stay.
Now here's what you need to know about being on the sixth floor... there was no phone in this room so I had to order room service by mobile phone. Due to the room being high up, the card machine didn't work so I had to get re dressed and go down to reception to pay. Lastly, the lift only goes to the fifth floor so be prepared to climb stairs after that.
If you don't mind these few minor issues then you'll love it.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear legoye

I was glad to read that you were happy with your stay and very much enjoyed breakfast in the morning.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused by the lack of a phone in your room. I am informed by my maintenance team that the phone had been removed that day as the phone line had undergone some work to resolve a problem and it has now been put back into place.

Simone Sansom

Been to The Met? Share your experiences!