“Poor Service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 89 hotels in Leeds
Penistone, England, United Kingdom
“Poor Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed overnight with my wife as it was the venue for our Company Christmas Party. On arrival we had a drink in the bar which was full of party-goers. I was astonished to find that two glasses of Prosecco cost £9.30. Ouch! The Christmas Party went well and the food, whilst slow in coming, was of the quality that you would expect for an event such as this. The room was of an acceptable standard and typical of the Crowne Plaza. My issue with this hotel was breakfast in the ground floor restaurant. The room itself is furnished like a school canteen. Having been offered a table no-one came to offer us tea or coffee and eventually I had to go and ask. The tea and coffee then appeared...but no-one bothered to come with refills. The breakfast buffet would have been adequate had the levels of hot foods been maintained. They were not and then there were several people waiting, plate in hand. The restaurant staff seemed lacking in direction and concern for the Customers. Not impressive, will not be rushing back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Philwilk,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. It is unfortunate that this visit was less than satisfactory on several aspects particularly with your experience during breakfast and if you found the charge for the drinks to be steep. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with work. The hotel is ideally located very close to the city centre so cabs are cheap and not a long walk (if you're up for it!).
My room was huge. Bigger than I needed! The only thing I would say is the pillows weren't too great - very stodgy! Also the heating was hard to get right but that was most probably me. And finally I'd say it would have helped if they had a robe in the room. I went for a swim both days and it's just more comfortable to be able to come back up to the room to get ready.
Service here was outstanding!!! In the gym the lady went to find me conditioner when she really didn't have to! Check-in, breakfast and everything else was a pleasure! Service with a smile!

• Stayed November 2013
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, December 5, 2013

Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Visited Leeds to see Andrea Bocelli at the first direct arena. Chose the crown plaza due to location and on site parking. The welcome at reception was very friendly this started our on night stay in a great way. Dropped bags in room and enjoyed a couple of drinks in the excellent bar. Then up to our clean and tidy room shower change and out. Breakfast was included and served till 10.30 so no need to rush check out was later than most hotels I viewed so once again you felt you had plenty of time before our journey home. Swimming pool looked inviting never quite made the splash though.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

north east
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We normally stay closer to the rail station in Leeds but chose to have a change and picked the Crowne Plaza. We were not disappointed with the choice, the reception staff were excellent and couldn`t do enough for us being extremely polite and friendly. The room was very clean with all the facilities we expected. We chose to travel by rail and this probably was our mistake as the hotel was further out than expected however this is only a minor problem.
We had breakfast there and the staff in the dining room were very helpful.
Didn't try the pool so unable to comment
The only negative was outside the Hotel where the Smokers congregate was literally covered with cigarette ends there didn't appear to be any boxes or trays for cigarette ends. This rubbish really needs clearing up.
This is not likely to stop us going again and I would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Utley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

The crowne plaza at Leeds is a fantastic hotel and great value for money. I have stayed here several times and have always found the staff to be more than helpful, nothing is too much trouble even with a full hotel this weekend requests were dealt with promptly and efficiently. The hotel facilities are available to use fornthe duration of the stay and the location to the city centre for shopping and eating and going out is approx 5 min walk.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We had a great couple of days break at this hotel on arrival we got parked no problem and the staff welcomed us they are very happy friendly go out of their way to help you the spa was very nice all in all a great time would highly reccomend this hotel and a special mention to Abigail who was very helpfull and gives 110% thank you crown plaza can't wait for our next little trip there .

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor room was very nice loads of space and a right comfy bed
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last week-end with 4 other couples whilst attending a concert at Leeds First Direct Arena. The Hotel gave us an excellent deal and we each had double rooms with 2 double beds in each room. Arriving at reception we were met by Annabelle and what a breath of fresh air she was with a lovely welcoming smile and a bright but very efficient manner. Having checked us in, she organised taxis for the 10 of us to travel to the concert. A goods nights sleep was followed by a hearty English or Continental breakfast and Annabelle appeared to check that everything was OK and that we had enjoyed the concert. I do hope that this hotel realises what an asset they have in her because she is such an ambassador for the company.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Leeds? Share your experiences!