“Leeds' Diamond” 5 of 5 stars

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Leeds' Diamond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Rooms:

We had a double room, there's plenty of space with large bathroom (shower and bath) There's a flat screen TV hairdryer, mirror, two comfy chairs and a table) decent view on to street.

Hotel staff: Really friendly and helpful staff, all staff we encountered were happy to be at work and said hello. Front of house staff gave ecellent advice regarding surrounding area.

Late check out disciunt on bar: First time staying here and the front of house staff immediately offered us a discount card for 10% off drinks at the hotel bars and this loyalty card also allowed us to have a late check out of 2PM, yes 2PM

Facilities: the reason for our stay was npot just to have a night out in Leeds but to use the leisure club at the hotel. There's a gym, suana, steam room, pool and jacuzzi all guests can use. There is also a spa treatments that you can pay for.

Hotel decor and ambiance: the hotel is very clean, well maintained and has an comfortable feel to it. The bar and lounge area had comfortable sofas and enough space to accomadate groups and couples.

Overall: I'd recommend this hotel for its comfort, facilities and friendly staff. Also the fact that you can get a late check out makes it ideal for travelling or popping out in the morning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our facilities met with your requirements.

Please be assured I have passed on your kind comments to our Front Office Team as they serve as a great motivator.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

On arriving at the hotel we were warmly greeted by Kimberly.

We were given two room upgrades, which was a nice surprise and suitably impressed.

The rooms were spaceous, clean and very comfortable.

We had breakfast each morning which was plentyful and a great choice, staff again very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.

Evening meals in the restaurant (Bocca Grande) was enjoyable because of a impressive menu (Roast Casterbridge Cotswold Lamb, Chicken Breast Tagliatelle, Steak Kidney & Tarragon Pie) followed by the sweets which were mouth watering.

Overall, Great location ie 10-15mins walk to City Centre Shopping / Train Station will be most definatly visiting this hotel again as we could not have wished for better service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found that all of our facilities and service standards met with your expectations.

whitley bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

On business in Leeds this week and chose hotel for value and location. Staff amongst the friendliest I have encountered on my travels and make you most welcome, nothing is too much trouble. Hotel only s short walk from city centre which has has had many upgrades in recent years. Not too close to rail station so little noise , unlike some other Leeds hotels in same bracket. Good size gym and pool . Already booked to stay again.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be returning again soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We have stayed at the crowne plaza a number of times over the last ten years. Latest time we started to notice it looking a bit tired and faded round the edges. Compared to some of the newer hotels in Leeds it no longer cuts the mustard. It has it's plus points - easy to get to and has its own car park. The crowne plaza pillows are a joy to sleep on - honest, rooms are big and clean. Down side is its just average in so many areas. Gym is small, changing rooms are cramped and sweaty , we had breakfast - powdered eggs on the buffet and we ate our breakfast before they replenished the fried egg tray. Generally staff are pleasant and helpful. But its just not kept pace

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your recent stay.

Here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest level of service and customer care and I am sorry to hear you feel that our facilities are letting us down.

In respect of your comments regarding the hotel, I am delighted to inform you that starting in June the hotel will be having 3 floors of bedrooms refurbished. We are hoping to be complete by September. I hope that you will consider returning when they are complete.

With regards to our Leisure facilities, I can only apologise if there were some cleanliness issues that particular day. I will be discussing this personally with the Leisure Club Manager.

On a final note, may I once again apologise for the shortcomings experienced during your short break in Leeds.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

There is nothing wrong with the Leeds Crowne Plaza. I have stayed before but it is starting to become tired and old. I had an executive and perfectly pleasant room but the whole hotel needs a major refurb. I stay in the chain a lot and expect Crowne Plazas to be superior to Holiday Inns. This one is struggling to hold its head up without shame. When compared for example to the Holiday Inn Bristol this Crowne Plaza is found wanting.
The staff are nice though and it is convenient.

• Stayed May 2013

Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Fabulous staff & great location! Really comfy beds!! Great food!!

I would highly recommend Leeds for a shopping/ party weekend!! Lovely city & lovely people!! Crowne Plaza was a fab hotel to stay in :-) special thanks to crazy Danielle on reception & the lovely restaurant staff :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Please be assured I have passed on your kind comments to Danielle as they serve as a great motivator.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The crowne plaza Leeds has been one of the weaker links in the ihg brand in the uk for a long time and indeed is much more inferior to the other crown plazas in the country, however as a platinum member I often use the hotel as a matter of loyalty.

The reason the hotel is so inferior is much to do with its age and the need for an extensive overhaul. Public areas are tired and unfashionable, and rooms are basic and dated. The pool area is very our of date and often very dirty to such an extent that I would no longer use it.

Despite such low expectations I have continued to use this hotel for convenience and occasionally getting ihg recognition. However in my latest visit I realise just how poor the hotel has become. I drove from London to arrive late at the hotel ( after midnight ) I didn't stop to eat as I knew I coud get something in the hotel when I arrived. I phoned for room service and received no answer. I phoned reception and was informed everyone had gone home. When I pointed out that many items indicate availability for 24 hrs I was told that they didn't have any staff - this appeared to be a normal occurrence. When I asked to speak to a duty manager - there wasn't any. In fact the receptionist appeared to be also acting as security, manager, etc. the hotel would appear to have reduced staff/costs to such a level that no service of any type could be offered. I would also question health and safety implications of such an approach.

On leaving next day, there was no apology or note of my concerns and I therefore asked to speak to a manager. The receptionist acknowledged my concerns and it was obvious that they were unhappy with the way they were being forced to work also. The manager made a few excuses, however when I was able to contradict each he claimed they had a last minute sickness - which obviously wasn't true. I then could not check-out as they said there system was down - despite being promised a receipt by email later that day - it finally arrived 4 days later.

So not only I'd the hotel dated, tired and dirty, it is now being managed down to the ground. There are many other much more superior hotels in Leeds for a similar or lower rate. If you need to use an ihg rate yo would be better at a holiday inn express - at least you know what you are getting and pay a lower rate accordingly. This hotel is exploiting the crown plaza brand - don't be conned into thinking that means anything in terms of service!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear JKlondon09,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least surpass your expectations on this visit especially with the service received from our staff and room accommodations and ambiance being sub par. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Leeds? Share your experiences!