“Fabulous food. Dodgy loos” 4 of 5 stars

5 Brewery Place, Leeds, England
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Azucar Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #671 of 1,389 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Tapas
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Fabulous food. Dodgy loos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I bought a groupon for 4. This place was fabulous. Has fantastic food ( including squid and prawns). Delicious sangria. Nice staff. Shame coffee machine broke cos we wanted liquor coffees. Loos bit naff. Pedal on pedal bin in disgraceful state. GET NEW CLEANING COMPANY COS THEY'RE LETTING YOU DOWN. Would definitely visit again tho.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“Poor service and no latin american vibe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Loving tapas. we were both looking forward to eating here and planned to stay for a Rumba after.
However, we felt very disappointed and left after our meal

Expected a chilled ambiance with background latin american sounds while we ate our meal. But ear piercingly loud sounds of Arctic Monkey and Kaizer Chiefs meant we couldnt even hear the waitress talking to us!! Music didnt match what the restaurant was about, and so loud to be uncomfortable.

The service was terrible and we even got a plate of olives as an apology. Two other tables complained.

The food wasnt bad, although very oily (and we felt queezy after) but the portions were huge.

As I said we had hoped to stay on after eating, but coudnt wait to get away

The venue was next to the Oracle at Brewery Wharfe, so out of town and not close enough to go anywhere else without having to get back in the car

There are plenty of better places in Leeds to go for a tapas

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Disappointing...but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was our second visit to Azucar..... now I don't know if our disappointing return visit was due to the fact this was a Groupon deal, and we were expecting the same great food as our first visit, or not,....here's why....
We were told there was no prawn Gambas, or calamari rings, yet the tables around us seemed to be served these dishes...hmmmm conspiracy I wonder...
However we ordered our 5 dish selection and to be honest they were ok, the chilli with cheese , the albondigas , Cajun chicken were actually quite good, but the Spanish omelette and fish cakes were average at best, the worst dish was the complementary potato bravas, they were burnt and looked and tasted like a third time warm up .... We sent them back and 2 mins later a steaming dish of new arrived, ping & go methinks, service was good but slow, not even a full restaurant , my bottle of modelo negro was cold and good, so was the complimentary sangria, however all in all a disappointing evening, compared to our first visit
The restaurant is a little on the dark side but personally I think this adds to the warmth and ambience of Azucar, music policy is good but we didn't stay late as we had other plans, but I understand its a great Latino style late evening.
So Azucar , my advice is to work on the consistency, thats the mark of a good restaurant, the rest will take care of itself.
Will we come back again....probably.... But maybe not for a while.

So guys thanks for reading my review, don't forget to leave me a helpful vote....please

All the best Ming
And yet another stop off on my World Domination Tour

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“I liked it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went with a couple of friends on a Friday night. The food was nice although I only tried the Tapas. The music was brilliant, I just wanted to get up and dance. It wasn't latino, more reggae and old skool rnb. I will definitley be going back to have a night out there. Only problem was they mixed our bill up with somebody elses but it was easily rectified. We got 50% off our tapas as it was a special offer but I wouldn't want to pay full price. I would however like to try the main dishes.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leeds
“Great quality and quantity! Shame about the darkness!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I am a big fan of tapas and after the enormous disaster of going to La Tasca on Greek Street and a distance from the best tapas place in Leeds (El Bareto in Chapel Allerton) we decided to try Azucar and we were not wrong. The service was outstanding (a very friendly and smiley Spanish girl with Salma Hayek accent) the food portions were huge (will remember to order only two tapas next time) and delicious and drinks were served promptly.

The only thing that bothered me (well two things actually) was the complete lack of light, it was like eating in a cave:) I am only 30 so I should like things that are different and quirky but this was too much. I usually like to see my husband :)

Also, since it is a Spanish place I would expect Spanish music to be played so the whole dining experience is more authentic - and again British rock music isn't really the most pleasant dinner music.

I am sure we'll be back - with a candle and a portable Spanish music player - Pastora Soler maybe.

Visited January 2013