“The best chinese of my life” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #122 of 1,446 Restaurants in Leeds
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sweet Basil is a family run business with over 30 years of experience. We have our own original recipes and techniques we have practised for years to ensure a satisfactory, pleasant meal every time you visit.We pride ourselves in presentation and comprise the freshest & finest local produce in which we transform into Authentic and mouth-watering dishes. Our chefs are always on the quest for perfection!We welcome you to put us to the test!!!
Lee, United Kingdom
“The best chinese of my life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My mother and father were visiting my partner and I and we decided to choose this restaurant based on its many positive reviews on here. The outside was okay, but the inside was lovely. It was decorated with polished wooden chairs and had dragons hanging from the ceiling for chinese new year. The most aesthetically pleasing thing was that it was spotlessly clean. We were served and seated straight away by a member of staff who could not have been more polite if she tried. We ordered our food and it appeared very quickly, and it appeared in less than 15 mins. The portions were huge and it was all steaming hot, helped by the hot plates it was all placed on in the middle of the table. The food was presented very well, it had flowers and shapes/animals cut out of the fruit and veg which was a nice touch. Half way through our meal we were served an additional seabass meal, compliments of the chef, which my whole family thought was an exellent extra touch. The meal worked out at around £20 a head, however this included two bottles of wine, many other drinks and 7 dishes (much of which we were allowed to take home). This is without doubt the best authentically chinese restaurant we have all ever visited and I cannot wait to go again! Thank you so much to the wonderful staff and chefs they have working there for making our meal so lovely.

• Visited January 2013

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Don't judge a book by its cover - a really good Chinese.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

The exterior has always struck me as a bit gloomy, and that's been enough to put me off. However, a friend really recommended it, and we gave it a go (after checking Tripadvisor, as I still had my doubts).

The moment we walked in, my preconceptions were shown to have been baseless. It's bright, clean, airy and colourful and the welcome was immediate and warm.

The menu is pretty straightforward, but the execution of familiar dishes was excellent. Some of the spicing was really well-judged (really hot chilli didn't wreck the dish, and managed to enhance the other flavours rather than overpowering them). Presentation was great too - I hate cucumber, but seeing one carved into a crab was a nice touch.

The staff were lovely, and got hugs from our two youngest children when we left. It was also a nice surprise to be treated to an additional main course with the chef's compliments! A delicious sea bass dish that I think about trying next time.

We'll be back, and probably have a takeaway or two between visits....

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We chose to come to this Chinese restaurant from reading the reviews on this site. They were not wrong. The service was excellent with very attentive staff,the food excellent and well presented and was good value for money.
In order to complete the review I had to fill the section below. We did visit as a family but my children are now adults so can not comment on young children.

• Visited December 2012
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Sweet Sweet Basil”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Had a lovely meal here during te autumn season. It was perfect.
If you have not been to Thai land you haven't experienced authentic Thai food. Sweet basil has mastered the Thai bit! Extremely similar to the food I had in Bangkok, particularly the curry and basil dish!
Chinese food, I doubt any Chinese restaurant will surpass this one. One tough cookie to beat! Loving the satay and black bean.
Sweet basil you are shining out of the crowd, thank you for walking in my life.

Barnsley
“very nice cantonese”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

we really enjoyed our visit here - found the food to be excellent and flavour some with large portions. The Thai bits we ordered were just ok , hence the average review but the cantonese was top notch with very friendly service.

• Visited October 2012