“Excellent Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre

You added Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wharf Approach | Granary Wharf 2, Leeds LS1 4BR, England (Formerly Mint Hotel Leeds)   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #8 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Excellent Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Difficult to find this hotel as it is still signposted 'The Mint'. On arrival we managed to grab the last parking space but this was valet parking as all other spaces were filled. No hot cookie on arrival and only one key given for the room. Had already paid but Receptionist insisted on taking a pre authorization fee from my account of £150 to cover any expenditure. Did not tell me where my room was located. Or give me a room upgrade despite being a Hilton Member. However when this was all pointed out next day given a room upgrade and complimentary cookies and apology. Given room upgrade at no extra cost. Worth joining Hilton Scheme if think could use this service again. Room immaculate and extremely comfortable. Everything could possibly need, room spacious. Sky lounge has fantastic views, even if a little pricey. Breakfast excellent but worth getting it included in a package as continental is approx £12, and English is £16.

Room Tip: Worth joining the Hilton Honours as can upgrade if a room is available on arrival.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Nice room, good location, great staff. Stayed there for one night, room was clean, breakfast good value for your money. Would recommend it for a short stay. 5 min from the train station. The only problem I had that it was a bit noisy but that's the location not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The complimentary warm cookie was a nice, welcoming treat and the staff were welcoming and professional. The hotel room itself cannot be faulted, everything was completely spotless and modern, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The cocktails available in the 'Sky Lounge,' although a bit pricey, were delicious, and the lounge itself provided an amazing view of leeds city. My boyfriend and I booked with the hotel with discount, however I do not think we would have payed the original price for the stay as we generally like a place with more personality. However, that is personal taste, and I could not fault the hotel at all, and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wedmore, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Really impressed with this hotel. Concierge on arrival brilliant with sorting out my bags and parking. Excellent location close to city centre and with bars and restaurants just outside hotel. Spacious bedroom, clean and comfortable. Free wifi worked very well. Sky Lounge is fun experience. Excellent customer service. I will definitely be staying here again on next trip to Leeds. Didn't have dinner or room service - breakfast was not great quality cooked food, but ok - better than most buffet style - plenty of fruit/cereal/continental choice.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton for the better part of 3 months - and it was a great overall stay.

Service - everyone from the front desk to room service to housekeeping went out of their way to get things right - which we couldn't say for the last hotel we were staying at.

The rooms are large and spacey - and some of them have great views overseeing the canal. Free Wifi and a TV with some decent channels was great too.

Room service was acceptable, the breakfast was also OK on most days.

The property itself is spacious and clean and sees plenty of light - so it's an uplifting experience on the whole.

When we return to Leeds, we will certainly be staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Changzhou
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was walking from Leeds train station to Doubletree and I lost my way, so I asked someone on the street. It happened that he was an employee at Doubletree and offered to walk me there. I was suspicious, how could it be such a coincidence that the first person I asked, in the middle of the night, appeared to be overly pleasant, be going to the same place as I was. Could he be a bad guy luring me into a dark aisle and robbing me. So I walked behind him the whole way and he sensed my worries. And he offered to point out all the signs that said "Doubletree this way" along the way. I was very glad I chose Doubletree!

Flitwick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is the complaint that I have emailed to the hotel following my one night stay

1. I emailed the hotel on Monday 25th March at 9.58am to ask if you had free Wi-Fi and also called as I wanted to know that day so that I could sort out whether or not I could work from the hotel but no one answered the phone – after the 3rd attempt of calling the phone was eventually answered. I asked if there was complimentary Wi-Fi to which I was told there was. I then asked about Parking and was told there was parking opposite the hotel or valet parking, I said thank you and the operator just hung up without saying goodbye or anything which I found very rude. I did eventually get an email response on Tuesday 26th March at 12.22, I suggest emails are checked more frequently than over 24hrs later.

2. When I arrived at the hotel on Tuesday 26th March I had to wait for ages to be granted access to the Car Park. When the attendant did eventually arrive he asked me what my car reg was which I found a little strange as he could have read it from the car I was sitting in !!!

3. The first room that I was given (825) had a very strong smell of petrol so I attempted to call Reception to complain. I tried several times and no one answered so I had no choice but to go down to the front desk in person. I told the woman on reception and she gave me another room (430 I think). I also asked her why no one was answering the phone to which I was told it was because they were busy. I said that really was not my problem and that the phone should be manned at all times – considering I had called 3 times the day before and 4-5 times that day I felt that this was not good enough and certainly not good customer service.

4. When I arrived at my second room I could not believe it when it stunk of paint !!!! so again I went down to the front desk (didn’t even bother calling as what was the point no one would answer). I saw a gentleman this time and explained how frustrated I was with the situation. He asked his colleague to show me a few rooms so that I could choose which I wanted. I was shown the first one (421) which was ok so I stuck with that one. The gentleman went to get my key for me and in the meantime I put the TV on – that did not work properly so when he returned I asked him about it and he then fiddled with some wires in the drawer under the TV and got it to work again. I do have to say, and I did mention it to him, that I feel your TV’s are too small. Other hotels that I have stayed in have had much larger ones and I was expecting a lot more.

5. I then decided that after all of the problems, I did not want to eat in the restaurant and just wanted to ‘chill out’ in my room so I ordered room service. When my meal arrived, Macaroni Cheese with Leek, I could not find any leek and was rather amazed by the size of the meal considering the cost but I was hungry and just wanted to eat. When I went to have my Diet Coke that I had ordered, the cap was left on the bottle and if I had not had my own bottle opener on my key ring then I would have yet again had to find someone to open it for me – surely this should have been done???

6. I also feel that the Wi-Fi is not as good as it should be as the signal is only ever ‘good’, which in other hotels it is always ‘excellent’. Very slow and very frustrating when trying to do work …. In the end I gave up ! As many business clients stay at your hotel I would have thought that having a fast connection would be on the top of your list?

7. The people on your check-in desk, and around the hotel are all foreign and some I found hard to understand which I not expect and have not found with other hotels I have stayed in on business.

8. The Customer Service in your hotel is very poor and the whole feel of the place is not a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

9. On a good note, your breakfast was extremely tasty and I very much enjoyed it. However, yet again, the waitresses and waiters looked as if they did not want to be there.

10. All in all I am very disappointed with this hotel and have to say that I will not be staying here again and I will be telling my colleagues the problems that I have had and in fact have already told my Line Manager and some colleagues.

11. You need to address these problems as you could potentially loose custom because of these details and I have stayed at a number of hotels on business over the last 4 months and can honestly say that this is the worse one I’ve stayed in, it’s a great shame.

Room Tip: Dont bother with any or make sure you ask for ones that dont smell !!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Vijay B, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Lorraine M

Thank you for your review, we sincerely apologise for the issues that had occurred with this stay which had led to a disappointing experience.

This is not reflective of the typical high standards our teams deliver on a daily basis and we truly regret for how this will have hindered your impressions of the hotel, and your arrival and room service experience as a whole. We are taking the necessary steps to ensure this remains an isolated incident and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Your feedback is extremely important to us and we sincerely hope there will be an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel. The details of which our management are keen to discuss with you in order to ensure your every need can be met and you have felt satisfied the hotel has taken your comments seriously.

My colleague is contacting you to offer their assistance and make any necessary arrangements on your behalf.

Kind regards

Vijay Bhandari
Director of Operations

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre? Share your experiences!