“Good location, quiet yet close to city centre” 4 of 5 stars

The New Ellington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 - 25 York Place, Leeds LS1 2EY, England   |
Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good location, quiet yet close to city centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Booked this hotel last minute when I could not get into the usual hotels and was delighted with the choice. I arrived very late and was given a very warm welcome and helped with directions when the sat nav failed me. Secure Parking is available just across the road with the option of street parking outside (meters) The room I was allocated was a good size, decor " a little cozy and dark" for my taste more leisure than business but pleasant. It would be useful to have a full length mirror other than on the inside of a wardrobe door especially as the door could not be opened due to the bedside table but perhaps I am being pedantic and girly on this point!
The Yorkshire supper menu in the restaurant was excellent and more inventive than usual hotel fare, service was first rate and the price of less than £20 for three courses is great value. This restaurant is worth a visit even if staying elsewhere and with the gin bar too on the premises I was surprised it was not busier.
Stopped for a quick drink in the gin bar and again first rate service provided by a well informed and attentive bar man. Only disappointment was that work commitments stopped me indulging in more of the 100plus gin options on offer!
Breakfast was ok but would prefer an improved buffet selection for a quick and easy start to the day albeit various options can be cooked to order - on another occasion I would probably choose room only basis given the great options in town.
It would be useful to have some printed maps to hand to guests for directions, a map to look at was available at reception but not one to take away which given how easy it would be to print a few out seemed odd. I found the fact that this hotel was situated a short distance away from the city centre a bonus as it was quiet and a good nights sleep was achieved which is difficult in some city centre options as a result of traffic etc.
Would choose this hotel again in preference to some of the usual offerings and it is the staff attitude and restaurant/bar menu/service which makes the difference.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Meadowsb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with ther Trip Advisor community.

Firstly I was pleased that you were able to experience all aspects of the hotel and you enjoyed your meal in our fabulous award winning restaurant. Maybe next time you can continue to sample some of our 100 variations of Gin that we have on offer.

Thank you for your comments concerning the full length mirror and I will take this into account when we look at our next refurbishment.

For future special offers or to keep in touch please like us on Facebook so you can be the first know what’s happening at The New Ellington.

Stuart Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed here for a night and were attracted by the sleek, quirky look of the hotel and were pleasantly reassured when we arrived. Check in was quick and efficient and the reception staff were very friendly. Our room was a double and was very well appointed and it was only as we had a closer look we became a little more deflated- the double bed was two singles, pushed together; the coffee machine didn't have any "pods" to use with it; make-up stains on the duvet and a cigarette lighter in the pocket of a dressing-gown when I put it on!
We stayed in the hotel and ate in the restaurant that night, which was very nice. Again, the staff made it a great place being friendly and not over bearing whilst ensuring to attend to everything we needed. We both had steak, which were well cooked and puddings which were OK. Drinks in the bar were a little more pricey, but I didn't mind paying this as I think you do in more city centre places and the cocktails were fantastic.
Overall I did like this hotel, but I think the lack of detail to some of the smaller things let it down. Would I go back? Maybe.

Dear Ich10

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Trip Advisor community.

I have reviewed our guest comments on check out for the November and can’t find any mention of the
housekeeping issues. Had the team been aware these they would been dealt with straight away. All I can do now is offer my apologies for these oversights.

We do have a several twins with the hotel and these also make up a large double bed of which both the mattresses are zipped together which is common in most hotels. I am currently reviewing with my Head Housekeeper on how we can make this less noticeable.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your experience in Digby’s Restaurant and I have shared this with the team.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed one night at the New Ellington on November 2013.

We had an upgraded room on the third floor (the highest).

The hotel is decorated and styled in a modern way - and has good quality fittings. Our room was large although the bathroom was a little on the small side.

I have a few niggles - mainly related to maintenance. The wifi wasn't working (I got the feeling when we mentioned it that that it had been an ongoing issue), the sink in the bathroom wouldn't drain, the room was pretty cold and the security catch on the door was broken. For the price, I would have expected better.

We had breakfast which was pretty good. I went for the full Yorkshire which I can recommend it you don't expect to eat again for a while! We also had drinks in the bar - which wasn't cheap - but they have an amazing range of gins and very friendly staff.

Room Tip: We were up on the third floor - but windows set into the roof eaves mean you can't see much!
Dear Liam FitzP

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Trip Advisor community I was delighted that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to our suite.

I have reviewed your comments with the team on duty and we didn’t experience any other guest with their Wi Fi connection when you stayed. There can be occasionally issues with the settings on your device and connecting to the network but these can be resolved through our dedicated help desk.

Our maintenance team have addressed the issues with the bolt and sink.

I was pleased that you enjoyed Breakfast and I have shared this with our Head Chef and his team and the Bar Team were delighted that you enjoyed our extensive range of Gins.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed in this lovely hotel as part of a large group attending an awards evening in Leeds. The location of the hotel is perfect and a short walk from the train station.
We arrived early. Around 1.30pm to leave our luggage but the lovely receptionist informed us our room was ready and we could get checked in straight away!
The room was nice and great value for money, we decided not to venture back out and treat ourselves to room service, the food was fantastic.
We met up with all our friends in the bar where we were able to arrange taxis and have a few drinks before leaving once again the service was excellent.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Kerry F,

We all appreciated you taking the time to share with Trip Advisors users your experience with us during your stay in Leeds.

I was delighted to read that you had a great experience and that you found our staff accommodating and friendly.

I do hope that your awards evening was fruitful.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned following a night in the king suite for a special anniversary. We have stayed here before and returned as we were impressed. Firstly the staff are very helpful and friendly and make the stay. The restuarant was fantastic and the food delicious. The sticky toffee pudding in particular is a must.
As mentioned in a few other reviews the cocktails in the gin bar are great and there is a nice warm atmosphere.
There are lots of positives about the hotel but I was a bit disappointed with the suite. There is lots of space which is great however the velour headboard was stained as were patches on one of the couches, the sink in the bathroom was blocked (we did forget to mention this) and the speakers in the bathroom didn't work. Granted we could have pointed these things out and feel sure that the friendly staff would have remedied these things. I feel that for the cost I expected more from a king suite.

• Stayed November 2013
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Cely 250,

Thank you for returning back to The New Ellington and for taking the time to share your views with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am very pleased to hear that the staff were helpful for you during your stay, and I am also very pleased that you enjoyed The Gin Garden and our award winning Digby’s Restaurant.

I would like to apologise for the marks on the headboard as previously mentioned we do steam clean the headboards on a regular basis but the fabric is proving challenging we are looking at options in the new year to replace these. The headboards are clean but the in grained marks cannot be removed.

I am sorry that the plug and the speaker wasn’t working correctly I have personal checked the room and these are now in working order we do of course from time to time have minor maintenance issues as you would expect but the team on duty are on hand to resolve them promptly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Had a lovely stay at the New Ellington. Spacious room (think we might have had an upgrade) and staff very helpful. Indulged in a drink in the gin garden which was most enjoyable but rather expensive at £18 for two gin and tonics. Still, enjoyed chatting to the bar manager about the gins and overall had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Angela5555,

Thank you for sharing with the Trip Advisor Community your fantastic stay with us. I have reviewed your reservation and you are correct, you did receive a complimentary upgrade.

I appreciate your comments regarding the Gins, however with the majority of our collection sourced from small premium distillery’s this is mirrored in the price, I will however pass these comments to our Bar Manager who you spoke with – I do hope that you found his extensive knowledge informative.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Stuart
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a nice hotel, but I would expect more from the price. We only payed £90 for the room as we booked it well in advance, but I'd checked the price the week before we went and it had gone up.
The hotel is well decorated and has a nice atmosphere. We did have a drink in the bar which was nice but a bit pricey.
On the booking confirmation it said the room would have a balcony, a king size bed, and a sofa bed. What we actually got was a big window, two single beds pushed together, and an armchair. The rain shower was covered in limescale and the coffee machine instructions were for a different machine or when the coffee/tea etc was kept in a different place as it didn't make sensel! The coffee cups provided are too tall to fit under the machine properly too. Breakfast also wasn't included in the price, and we were told this was £10pp.The location is great for the station which is only 5 minutes away, and the shops etc are maybe 5-10 minutes away, but the hotel is on a road with a few 'gentlemans clubs' which made it seem a bit seedy, although we didn't see them open.
Normally I wouldn't mind the few liitle niggles I've mentioned, especially as we paid £90 for the room, but if I'd paid more I would have been a bit disappointed considering I've stayed in a central London hotel for £150 a couple of months ago that was very nice and included breakfast.

Dear Rachel1985_13,

Thank you for taking the time to inform other Trip Advisor readers of your recent stay with us.

We do take our guests feedback seriously, and if you can let me know which internet site you made your reservation with so I can speak with them to remove the incorrect details.

As much as we try and police the contents of other reservations site we find it impossible to audit all of them and we cannot be responsible for their contents.

I can only apologise for the coffee instructions not making sense and will look at the making the instructions clearer.

Our bar pricing is in line with other city centre bars and restaurants if not slightly cheaper our extensive range of gins do carry a premium price as they are from small individual companies.

On a positive note I do appreciate that you liked our fabulous breakfast, as well as our handy distance from the shops and train station.

If you could contact me directly at the hotel I will look into your experience further.

Stuart Ward

Been to The New Ellington? Share your experiences!