“Couple of tweaks away from great.” 4 of 5 stars

The New Ellington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 - 25 York Place, Leeds LS1 2EY, England   |
Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
west Yorkshire
“Couple of tweaks away from great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed for two nights. The room was really nicely decorated appointed. The bed was massive and was very comfy. Nespresso machine and a decent size fridge with fresh milk was a pleasant change. The bathroom was large and well appointed and there was a nice touch - magnets in the shower curtain so it clings to the side of the bath not to you. The Yorkshire breakfast was very nice and plenty of it. The hotel is well situated. Near enough to all the attractions of Leeds City Centre to be able to walk there easily but not right in the centre or on a main road so it was quiet.
On the downside the air con in the room was ineffective and the room was very hot (which raises questions about a review response from June when it was said that they were going to address it).
The only other downside was that the full breakfast did not automatically include toast but on the second day we asked for it and got it .

Room Tip: Make sure that you check that your room has had the air con serviced.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear YorkshireDave,

Thank you for taking the time to share with Trip Advisors users your positive experience with us during your recent stay in Leeds.

All our air conditioning have been serviced and I can’t find any comments on check out with any rooms been too warm if you can let have the details of your stay then I can look into this for you.

Please accept my apologies for the oversight of no toast with full Yorkshire breakfast it is our standard to serve it.

For future special offers or to keep in touch please like us on Facebook so you can be the first know what’s happening at The New Ellington.

We look forward to welcoming you back in December

Stuart Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Great room and location with excellent bar area but one complaint was the shower...the water was more of a trickle than anything else with no shower stand so prepare for arm ache.. The overhead shower was non-existent and a bit of a disappointment...other Than certainly a recommendation to all

• Stayed September 2013
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Paul12409_pc,

We all appreciated you taking the time to share with Trip Advisors users your experience with us during your stay in Leeds.

I was disappointed to read that you a poor experience with the shower I have checked the guest feedback for the last four weeks and cannot find any details for the shower not working as it should.

If you can contact me personally and let me have the full details of your stay so I can review the comments with the team and then speak with you concerning your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you.

e: stuartward@thenewellington.com
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Rod Stewart in Leeds so only one place for us to stay-The New Ellington!.Check in so easy,Sian lovely,left bag.On return allocated a superb room.Great,quiet ,comfortable night's sleep.Cooked breakfast outstanding in fact as good as we have ever had.Staff at breakfast and in general unfailingly friendly and helpful.Easy checkout again with Sian.Back in December for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Suites are great!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Lian,

Sian was pleased you read that you thought that she looked after you and the breakfast chef was delighted that you enjoyed our freshly made breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back in December

Cottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Polite staff with good local knowledge. Rooms not huge but tastefully designed. Used the bar and car park, no problems. My room was quiet even though it is a stones throw from the centre of Leeds. Much nice than 'branded' hotels. Did not use the restaurant, maybe next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear GRT7V,

Thank for your taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor readers I was delighted that you enjoyed our unique location.

Because we have invested in large luxurious beds some of our rooms can appear to be small but we think the beds make up for it!

We look forward to welcoming you back to The New Ellington.

Northants
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Ellington for a one night business trip to Leeds. I have stayed in a number of hotels and booked the Ellington on its Tripadvisor reviews and its relative short walk to my meetings.

The hotel is in a quiet road with a building site opposite, though I heard no noise during the night or morning.

I was booked into the king Suite, a very large two room suite (the second room must double as a possible extra room (307 and 306), the overall décor, furnishings and layout was very good – the room is in the eaves, so those taller than myself may want to consider the lower ceilings by the skylight windows. The couch and living space with work desk were ideal and I must admit the couch was very comfortable. Though, I am not a great TV watcher, I do typically catch-up on Movies – the hotel doesn’t have an in room entertainment system. That, even for me as a ‘light’ TV watcher is a real miss. I would expect this at a business hotel. Wi-Fi was good and complementary.

I did notice the that the shower room (306) was beginning to look a little ‘tired’ with a few cracks, marks and stains – again just the start of possible above and beyond wear and tear.

Nespresso machine only had 3 capsules, no fresh milk and the fridge seemed to be switched off. There was not free water in room.

Room Service, the food was excellent, though ‘garlic’ seems to be chefs preferred accompaniment for all vegetables. Even when asked for ‘no garlic’ – there was a strong ‘whiff’. The Duck starter and Rib-Eye were good. Though I initially received still water and not sparkling it was replaced, but the waiter was incredulous that I may not want to drink ‘still’ water.

Breakfast, for once I had time to take it, was good quality and ample quantity – though service was slow. With only one couple plus myself at breakfast, that was surprising.

Check out, simple, quick and efficient and the very pleasant lady was helpful but ‘brief’ in her dealings with me.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay, however and it is a definite however, the hotel does not hit the levels I would expect for the market nor the price point. Too many small challenges, niggling points, which is a shame.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear C_Stubing

Thank you for taking the time to share with Trip Advisors users your experience with us during your recent stay in Leeds.

I am sorry that you didn’t feel that you received the normal level of service we are renowned for.

We don’t offer an entertainment package as the majority of our guest prefer to sit in our Gin Bar and soak up the atmosphere we do offer freeview which offer a vast array of channels.

I have spoken with our Restaurant Supervisor and he was disappointed that you felt that he wasn’t helpful with your bottle of sparkling water. I understand he was offering to change it for you but you thought that he still offering you still. I am genuinely sorry that you miss read the situation.

There is no further building work taking place and there are several offices to let near us so our location offers us peace and quiet in the city whilst still offering a buzz.

As all our breakfast are freshly cooked to order and not a buffet style, you will experience a slight delay from when your order is taken - we believe it’s worth the wait!

I have taken on-board your comments concerning the shower room and we are currently in the process of an annual maintenance programme for all our rooms.

Once again thank you for your constructive comments,

Great Torrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed in this hotel on a Sunday night when it was very quiet - didn't see another guest the whole time we were there. Location is good in terms of distance from shopping district but the immediate area is a bit grungy. The hotel can't help it that there is a demolition site directly opposite but most of the other buildings in the street seem to be vacant which makes it seem a bit of a wasteland. However, the hotel itself was very well maintained - the public areas well-decorated and very clean though the art-deco theme was a bit faux - our bedroom was large and the bed huge, everything nicely done, bathroom spotless. Continental breakfast slightly disappointing - you expect these days to have a selection of cold meats, cheeses etc. in the European style - there were too many cake / pastry type items, not great if you're gluten free.
Oh, and the fish! Blake said 'A robin red-breast in a cage puts all heaven in a rage.' The shameful conditions of the solitary goldfish in their tiny bowls in the bar area was very sad - one hoped they were artificial but I fear not.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Mr Lewis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor.

I am pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel, as well as the décor and cleanliness of the rooms, something that we pride ourselves on.

We have in the past offered a selection of meats for breakfast but I’m afraid the up take on this was minimal and listening to our guest’s they preferred more bakery items.

In terms of the Felix our resident fish he has been with us since we have opened and has just turned three, he has many friends in the hotel and as a result of his growing circle of friends he has his own
twitter account! @Felixthefish.

To find out our latest special offers, please follow us on Facebook.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The New Ellington.

Warm Regards,

Liverpool
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed here as a surprise for a friend's 40th birthday- 3 couples. booked 3 rooms on a 'secret escapes' deal. The hotel was nice, reception staff very friendly and helpful. I had upgraded my friend's room to a studio suite, and we all had nice rooms.
Some issues with my room- broken electrical fittings in bathroom, and a rip (possibly a burn hole) on the bedsheet, right in the centre.
That aside, we were welcomed and enjoyed ourselves. Until it was time for the evening meal that was included in the price. Started well- a full three course meal with wine- however, for some reason, my friend's wife got a main course she didn't order, delivered with everyone else's starter. She did not ask for or want the food delivered. Then when we all got our main courses, she got a starter- again, not the one ordered and was beef. She is a vegetarian. Who in any restaurant considers sending out a starter and main the wrong way around? If they thought that was what was required, why did they not query / confirm this?
We were enjoying ourselves, and tried to continue. However, she was hungry. I had to walk around the restaurant to find a staff member, and pointed out what had happened. He said he would sort it, but she was then presented with an inedible plate of food.
The manager then came over and told us that his idea of sorting out the problem- i.e.one of our party of 6 having had no food- was to allow us free desserts. I pointed out they were already paid for! He had no other options or solutions. We were by this time less than impressed and left the restaurant without having dessert or the other bottle of wine that was paid for.
I spoke to the reception and was told to speak to the duty manager in the morning. We then went to the excellent gin bar for drinks. The service there was excellent, and my friend's wife was able to order sandwiches so at least she wasn't hungry.
The following morning, we went for breakfast. We sat waiting after ordering for in excess of an hour- other guests arriving, eating and leaving- before our food finally arrived. Given it was the same staff as the night before, we were suspicious that this was deliberate. When it did arrive we were told there was a fault with a cooker- however, it didn't affect any others the same morning!
I spoke to the duty manager at reception. He was professional and friendly. He apologised and reduced the bill by taking off the upgrade room charge, additional drinks with the meals and the cost of the additional food ordered at the bar. (this equated to about the cost of the missed desserts and wine- effectively we didn't have to pay for what we didn't get!) No form of compensation was offered. I pointed out that with some consideration it could have been resolved on the night. He assured me the regional manager would be in touch. 3 months later, not a word.
In summary- nice hotel, stay here but don't eat in the restaurant!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Michael B,

I was disappointed to read that you didn’t receive our normal level of service that we are known for.

I have personally checked all the guest feedback on check out for June and spoke with Secret Escapes to look into the issues you have shared with Trip Advisors but can’t find a record of any guest’s experiencing poor restaurant service or have substandard bed linen.

I look forward to hearing from you.

e: stuartward@thenewellington.com

Been to The New Ellington? Share your experiences!