“Not a hotel I'd recommend.” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 - 25 York Place, Leeds LS1 2EY, England   |
Ranked #20 of 89 Hotels in Leeds
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not a hotel I'd recommend.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

It started with the location, there are two lap dancing bars on the same street (within about 100 yards) and another one just around the corner so you can guess the type of person attracted to the area.
The lift had dirt empty wine glasses in it all day, so obviously no staff entered the public lift, or they just didn't care. We asked for a quiet room and were given the room next to the lifts, in the bathroom the sink plug had been taken apart by the maintenance staff and just left in pieces on top of the sink. Nobody had bothered to clean up and and it was covered with other peoples hair and filth from the bottom of the plug mechanism just laying in and on the sink.
We asked to change rooms (first time I have ever done this at any hotel anywhere in the world).
The next room the floor to ceiling window shutter was not fitted properly and when I tried to close it, it fell off - no damage done but I asked to move rooms again as it was directly over the bed and if it fell off again during the night it was extremely heavy and could cause serious harm. The duty manager came to the room and all but accused me of pulling it off the wall had a go at fixing it, said he was sure it would be alright and what did I expect from the rate I had paid - I was in an Executive Double purchased via 'room.com', he said I was lucky to get the room at that rate and should really be paying a lot more. He then flounced off saying we could do what we wanted - we left.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room but they completely ignored us, the only helpful advice I can give is thin...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

The hotel overall is good, this is the second time we have stayed there. One thing lets it down the state of the carpet in the room... Very stained, it is ideally located for central Leeds but car parking is very limited at the hotel. There are 2 big pay and displays within 5 min walk

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Our second stay at this lovely hotel which is tucked away in te business quarter of Leeds city. Location is within easy walk of the station or about £4 in a taxi. It's great on a nighttime as there are no noise being in the business quarter. Nice staff great bar and nice rooms definitely a place to stay for your Christmas shopping in Leeds which is fabulous. Will definitely be returning

Cleethorpes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The staff were great to talk to and very friendly. The restaurant food was superb but the seat cushions were heavily stained, this was the same in our room. The seat cushions and carpet looked a mess with mass staining.
The coffee and Tea were not replenished at all and we had to ask for milk.
There was mould in the bathroom and thel room needed a good scrub.
It let the stay down as the location of the hotel and the staff made this an ideal place to stay.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Booked in for a 1 night group stay (4 couples) on Saturday, December 1st, 2012.
Hotel position is good for Leeds city centre access (5 minute walk), on site parking over the road shared with an office block and security gated.
Check in was straight forward, although upon checking in another member of staff came and scribbled out our allocated room and wrote in another and no explaination given.

The room was opposite the door through from the lobby on the ground floor. Freezing cold (room stat had a mind of its own), no bath robes, no tissues in the bathroom, bits of trim missing from the bath, shower that wouldnt stop dripping and when showering didnt get any hotter than luke warm, where as the sink taps were plenty hot. The cupboards also had shabby, loose handles on them. Also no room service breakfast menu, had to ask for one and also a pen to fill it in with! Most things were corrected once reception had been informed. A number of our party also were short of bathrobes and other items in the rooms.

We used the Restaurant downstairs for our evening meal, this was excellent. Food was cooked beautifully and well presented. The band playing were very good and the volume was unobtrusive for conversations. There was never any pressure from the staff for us to eat & drink up and the table was ours all evening. We moved on to the hotel bar upstairs where the service was extremely slow (and the bar wasnt full). Although it was quite a novelty having around 70 different types of gin to choose from.

Overall the stay wasnt too bad, The New Ellington Hotel have a fair bit of work to do to bring it up to the standard of some of their competitors in Leeds (Quebecs, Malmaisson, Radisson). I would also suggest that if they use the room that nobody wants (number 22) as a fall back room, then they should at least have it in a state of readiness and repair so it can be used immediately. If room 22 isnt a fall back room, then, Oh Dear!

In summary, we wont be rushing back to stay at the hotel, but would use the restaurant again.

Room Tip: Make sure you arent in room 22
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

What an amazing hotel! I couldn't fault anything. As soon as I walked in I loved the feel of the place. Very funky decor. The staff were so welcoming and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. I was on my own as I was visiting from overseas to visit my daughter who is on exchange at uni in Leeds, so their welcome and thoughtfulness was very much appreciated.

Then the room - wow! Luxurious. I couldn't believe it for such a reasonable rate. Huge comfy bed, plenty of room with a desk and comfy chair. It even had a nespresso machine and trouser press. The bathroom was lovely too - great shower with huge fluffy towels, heated towel rail etc.

I had breakfast at the hotel twice. It was great, the best scrambled eggs I've had since I've been in the UK! They clearly have a great chef as the room service food was outstanding as well as reasonably priced and prompt.

I loved the location in a very quiet street but an easy walk to the centre of town and literally a couple of minutes walk to the train station.

After a weekend away, I returned to find they had given me a free upgrade to an even better room! The staff were also very helpful with travel tips around the region. I am sure it helps that it is a small boutique hotel so the staff get to know you.

If I return to Leeds I would definitely stay there again. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Any side of the hotel is fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on a weekday for one night and booked the room online. I chose this hotel because of the good reviews and it is quite close to Leeds train station. It was quite easy to walk to and took just over 5 minutes. The hotel is situated in the more business district of Leeds, there is a Tesco express, basement restaurant next to the hotel and a Pizza Express nearby but no shops. If you would like to stay in a hotel next to the shops or bars then this is definitely not it. However, it is within a short walking distance so it should not be a problem.

I was given a room in the first floor. I was informed by the reception staff that there is a problem with the bathroom mirror light but it is totally safe. As you can see from the picture I attached, there is a missing bathroom mirror light. There is also a lot of wear around a glass top next to the coffee machine, the veneer at the front of the desk has partially peeled off, the bedside lamp does not work because the plug is broken and the box that holds the tea and coffee has a pin which allows you to pivot at one of the corners to allow you to access the three tiers which was broken. Bar from all these minor problems the room as you can see is very nice. From my understanding, the hotel was not full that night, not entirely sure why I was not offered another room instead?!

The bed is large and very comfortable. It is air conditioned and you can change the temperature to suit your need. I also chose this hotel because wifi and broadband is free which I think is essential these days. There are still quite a number of hotels which charge extortionate amount to use the internet.

The only other thing I would like to point out is, on the side table there is a selection of magazines and a book called This is Leeds. I was flicking through the book and there is a section called the Sons and Daughters of Leeds with a prominent picture of Jimmy Saville. For those people who live outside the U.K. then this might not make much sense. But given the recent event, I would have thought the hotel will have withdrawn the literature. I am not wanting to start a debate about what happened but I cannot think of anyone in the country who will find his behaviour short of deplorable and sickening. If the hotel management reads my review, they may wish to remove the literature.

Overall, I really liked staying in the hotel, it was very comfortable and in a good location. Areas of improvements are some of the things I have already mentioned. I would recommend others to stay here and I will stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to The New Ellington? Share your experiences!