“Overpriced Let-down” 2 of 5 stars

Description: Only Open Wednesday to Saturday evenings
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Overpriced Let-down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went with my family for a birthday meal as it had a good write-up and I love mexican/tex-mex food. We ordered drinks, and whilst my dining companions arrived promptly, mine took a further 5 mins, not a good start. We were all starving, and from taking our order it was nearly 30 mins til the starters arrived. My vegetarian starters were quite tasty but you can't really go wrong with nachos and goats cheese. My companions food however was bland and greasy. Our mains took another age to arrive, by which point we had lost interest in eating all together, the restaurant was not busy (not surprised) and we couldn't work out why service was so slow. My sister's pork dish was more fat than anything else, and my mum's salad was tastleless, with no hint of dressing, it looked as if they'd emptied a bag of 99p morrisons salad and charged £10 for it. The portions were large, but definitely went for quantity rather than quality. You could possibly get over some of this if it was reflected in the prices, however the dishes were not cheap and the food and service was nowhere near up to scratch to be charged at that rate. At least we got cutlery, which was more than the diners sitting opposite us got! Plus points, the waiting staff were friendly, and my veggie taco was tasty. But overall, poor service, poor food, lack of atmosphere and way over-priced. I wouldn't recommend to anyone!

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Timbuktu, Mali
“Good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The food was very nice - but when you've said that you've said it all! The place is scruffy and noisy, and very cramped. There is no lounge or bar area - in fact it is exactly what it says - a cafe. Not a restaurant! However, the prices for both food & drink are restaurant prices!

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Best duck fajitas ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We have been visiting this place for years, good tex mex rather than mexican food, all homecooked and very tasty. As I'm a meateater and husband is veggie we always need somewhere with a good range of food and this place is great for us both. Their slow cooked meat is amazing while my partner loves their flavoured rice and vegetarian tacos. I also like the atmosphere, while the tables are a little tight it doesn't seem too crowded and the colourful decor and friendly staff make it great for a date or with friends.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leeds
“Rudest manager I've experienced in a while.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I went in with my partner to find the waitress was perfectly lovely and friendly but the manager cam across as lazy, rude and abrasive, even to his staff. While the food was ok, and the service was friendly, the attitude of the manager was enough to stop me wanting to step foot in there again.

Visited May 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Best Restaurant in Headingley ! Vegeterian friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I would like to eat there everyday! Special bonus for vegetarians ! Set in a lovely and colourful atmosphere, with candles as I like it most, Caliente is my lattest discovery in Leeds.
You can tell everything is homemade, and it makes you discover new Mexican dishes besides burrito or fajitas. I recommend the Taco Barbacoa with yummy cinnamon pork! For Veggies the Taco Crema is delicious... You have to ask for the deserts menu, but you should as it contains a dye-for brownie and homemade icecreams. I won't go anywhere else in Headingley anymore!

• Visited February 2012