“Amazing service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Keighley
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Amazing service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Having mucked up my calendar, I ended up booked for two nights here but was only able to stay for one. I got a very friendly, polite call asking me where I was when I forgot to turn up on the first night, and they bent over backwards to make sure I could get in on the second night when I didn't have time to check in.

Not only that, but they refused to charge me for the first, missed, night, even though it cost them the use of a room in the middle of summer.

Fantastic people, wonderful service.

Room Tip: If you are easily disturbed in your sleep, ask for a room on the side away from the road. It really...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Northants, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

First impressions were that it was a nice hotel with a clean room and comfortable beds. Bathroom was clean but old fashioned looking. First use of the toilet found that it didn't flush properly and the shower took a long time to produce hot water - no problem once the water heated up. It was raining heavily when we arrived and on taking the car to the rear car park we found deep ruts on the gravelled surface and therefore big puddles for my wife to pick her way through. Moving the twin beds together we found crisp packets on the floor so obviously the cleaning was not as thorough as first thought.

On the good side, the staff were friendly and the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport, South Wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

As already stated the outside looks very tired and unkept. I realised things were not 100% when I had to ring the front door bell to get entrance. Inside was quite dated as well with my room on the top floor at the rear. If looking over what I think are council flats, with the hills in the background, is a view to die for then sorry I would rather not croak it just yet.
There are no evening meals so I had to drive towards Keighley to find somewhere to eat and breakfast in the morning certainly was alright with a cheery young lady waitress who was this hotels best point.
The room itself was clean and tidy, the bed comfortable but there was just no-one else to be seen in the building which made it feel like you were Billy-no-mates. You certainly would not want to drink at the small bar on your own, that is if you could find someone to serve you.
Sorry about being so negative but there is nothing about the Dalesgate that would make me want to return, credit where credit is due........see my other reviews.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Tyne & Wear
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was not sure what to expect when we booked to stay at this hotel as the reviews were not very favouable but I can say that we were very pleased with our stay, our room was spacious and well furnished, very clean and a lovely comfortable bed. the views out of the window over the hills was to die for.Breakfast was of a very good standard served by the most cheerful waitress that you could ever meet. this hotel is well situated for sightseeing as it is possible to get public transport from just outside of the hotel to Skipton, Haworth via keighley and even as far as Burnley. If looking for a good place to dine out try the Dog & Gun at Colne Road, Glusburn. very good food.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

stayed at this lovely hotel for one night.my husband and i had a double room and our teenage daughter had a single room. the owner was very friendly and welcoming.
rooms plenty big enough and spotlessly clean nice comfy beds with fresh bed linen BUT the pillows are hell! they are just lumps of hard foam with no 'give' whatsoever!. two pillows and you are too high, one and you are two low.they really need binning and replacing as they are SO uncomfortable!
breakfast was excellent! prompt, friendly and efficient service. plenty of choice and the cooked breakfast was beautifully cooked. fresh coffee and as much toast as you wanted. nothing was too much trouble.
there is a free large car park to the rear this was rather muddy as it had been raining but we managed fine.
i would definitely recommend this hotel and will visit again but i'll definitely bring my own pillows next time!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
bury-st-edmunds
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

First impressions were not good, I we had not booked so far in advance and it had not been Easter we would have moved on. On pulling up to the main door the kerb appeal was not good, lots of empty flower pots with dead or dying plants from last year made the front entrance look unloved and unkempt. There was no directions to the car park at the rear of the property, although there was ample parking, albeit a bit scruffy.
Our room was on the top floor of the building facing a very busy main road, the double glazing was ill fitting and inadequate, the room was small and the eaves made it almost impossible to stand upright. Bed comfortable but furniture and fittings scruffy and outdated, shower was rubbish, no flow just a trickle. The room we stayed in did not match the pictures that are displayed on the website.
Good points, staff helpful, very clean,breakfast very good. Would not stay again due to being so outdated and tired.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Loughborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

OK let's start with some positives:

It's relatively cheap.
Staff (and owners?) were helpful.
Location is OK - it is on a main road but is fairly quiet and quite convenient for Keighley if you have a car.
Car parking is plentiful - once you find it round the back.
Room was very warm despite the low temperatures outside.
It was clean.

But there are three things I really look for in an hotel; a decent bed (after all that's its main purpose), a decent bathroom/shower and enough room to swing a decent sized cat.

For my liking the bed was too soft, I prefer something a bit firmer. Now this is personal preference and there was nothing wrong with the bed per se but just not to my taste.

The room was quite large, but it had a sloping roof which meant I could only stand up in about half or it. Not a big problem as there was only me but if there are two of you one will have to duck to get around the side of the bed.

The dribble that came out of the shower was just about enough to get me wet if I ran around long enough. It took several minutes to wash the shampoo off my hair - not good.

So for me this was not an ideal hotel as it met none of my important criteria.

This is really a 2 star hotel - there is no 24h reception, the bar area looks quite nice but is empty and not staffed. The room was adequate as a B&B but not up to modern hotel standards.

I considered giving only 2 blobs but decided on 3 as it isn't really poor, it is maybe average given the price. You get what you pay for, it is relatively cheap and clean and the staff are helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor might have more head room I guess. Rooms on the front overlook the road...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dalesgate Hotel? Share your experiences!