“A classic example of Bradford Curry House” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 519 Restaurants in Bradford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Naperville, Illinois
“A classic example of Bradford Curry House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Akbars is quite a landmark in Bradford and has all the features of a classic curry house, with a few surprises thrown in.

A licensed bar is a pleasant plus for those of us who drink. They're well know for their family size Naan, the size of a pub table and they arrive on a stainless steel set of antlers to hold them off the table.

The Liver starter is quite unexpected, and absolutely perfect. Rich, earthy, and very hot it's an idea so good you wonder why everyone doesn't offer it. Lamb and Ginger Balti was superb, as was Aloo Ghobi. It's all good here and the prices are extremely reasonable.

A must visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bradford, United Kingdom
“My favourite restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten at Akbars for over twenty years from when it first opened as a small restaurant. The food is always fresh.. The meat lean and the flavour just brilliant. Each different curry dish tastes different. The naan breads are delicious. The service is second to none and the atmosphere is lively and vibrant. It has spoilt me for anywhere else!

Bradford, United Kingdom
“Impressing always!!! :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We usually visit akbars for a birthday parties. Although I have only been at the restaurant a few times, the food has always been nice. I love the family naan. I highly recommend the chicken karahi! The waiters were extremely helpful and the atmosphere is very nice

Visited July 2014
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had an overnight stopover in Bradford last week just to sample a good curry in the curry capital of the UK, and boy were we not disappointed!!!

This restaurant (which was recommended by The Campanile Hotel we stayed in) was incredible from start to finish. The service, the atmosphere and the food were sublime!!!! The staff could not do enough for you from rose petals scattered on your table as you sit down, to answering your menu queries politely and efficiently and then taking lovely pictures of you!!! All this despite being rushed off their feet as they were full and continuously clearing tables and serving more diners.

I have never seen anything like it! I wish more restaurants would take a leaf out of their book regarding service and friendliness!

Then we move onto the food...... what can I say.... curries the like of which I have never tasted before! Now I know what a real curry should taste like and unless we go back to Akbars, don't think I will ever replicate the experience. Well done all of you and thank you for a wonderful memory we will treasure!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best curry in bradford, for sure!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Been to quite a few curry houses in bradford but this one wasn't definitely the bet value for money. lovely ambiance as well, and the staff work hard for their tips. I would comment that I ordered the balti lazeez (curry consisting of lamb, squid and chicken) and my brother ordered the Roshan La and there wasn't a lot of difference in the taste, it looked and tasted the same which was disappointing. It's also a shame that the popadoms at the beginning are not free of charge as expected, that was a nice surprise on the bill at the end. I wouldn't recommend the beer, Cobra, it wasn't particularly to our taste. However, they did have nice birthday singing songs playing during the night which was sweet. The big naan breads are awesome too!
overall, a great experience, i don't think you could find better in bradford. Much better than any london curryhouse for sure.