“Farmer James is great” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 31 Attractions in Bradford
Type: Farms, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular Farm and Indoor Play Area situated in the picturesque village of Esholt near Leeds and Bradford now offering 3 pre-bookable activities: School & Group trips March to July annuallyPrivate Indoor Fun Barn Parties every weekendFarmer James Holiday Club Childcare 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday during school holidays. Check website for dates.Contact Denise or Jane for further information, a chat or to book.Sorry we no longer take general admissions.
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Farmer James is great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

It was a lovely day and we enjoyed the animals a lot. I really liked the fun barn and the play grounds.

Some of the staff need to cheer up as they let Farmer James down.

Visited July 2012

“Fantastic place and will be visiting again soon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Absolutely brilliant day out and much loved by myself, partner and year old son. We happened to pick a red hot day, so a picnic outside started our afternoon there. Staff all really friendly, great hands on experience with the animals. We fell in love with a kid (of the goat variety). The straw barn was great for burning some energy. We didn't go in the fun barn so cannot comment on that bit. We had such a great day we are going again next week.

Visited June 2012
farmerjames1, Owner at St Leonards Farm Park, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
thank you for such a lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you again next week! be sure to visit to our indoor childrens soft play centre "Farmer James Fun Barn"; it has a dedicated toddler area for your baby and will cost your party only an extra £1.30 to include in your visit.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I've been to St Leonards Farm on a number of occasions. On this occasion I visited with my 2 daughters who are 6 and 8. The prices are fair - depending on how long you stay and what you do. We bought the comination ticket which was £6.50 each (for between the ages of 2 &16) and allowed you to go in to see/feed/pet the animals and play in both the outside and inside play areas. We stayed the whole day - as the weather was nice and the kids were quite happy to go from one thing to another and back again (which meant for me it was very good value). They loved bottle feeding the sheep, holding the rabbits/mice/guinea pigs and rats. They also loved the haybarn - with its rope swings and tunnels to go through, the zip wire and mini assault course in the top field. The inside playbarn was lots of fun too with soft play and fast fun slides to go down. I would recommend that you take lots of drinks - as running about can be thirsty work and there is either nice food on offer in the Wain House Tea room or plenty of picnic areas for you to eat your own food. I would recommend that you look on the board behind the pay desk to find out when feeding times/milking times etc are - so that you get the most out of your visit. We had a great day and would definitely recommend going. I would say that it suited all children up to the age of 10 - I feel that any kids 10+ may get bored quickly. What disappointed me was that it was supposed to be open until 5.00. We were asked to move out of the inside play barn at 4.50. I thought that we should then visit the toilet to make sure that the kids weren't uncomfortable for their trip home. Only to find that the toilets were locked. I asked the lady owner on the way out - if the toilets were locked, she just said "yes" and didn't offer any alternative. Leaving me with a little girl wanting to go to the toilet all the way home and spoiling what was a nice relaxing day until that point! My tip to Farmer James would be - lock the toilets when everyone has gone home. If you do visit here, I would definitely recommend that you have a walk round the lovely village/church/park where they used to film Emmerdale.

Visited August 2012
“GREEDY FARMER JAMES - WANTS EVERY LAST PENNY FROM YOU!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

I have been a couple of times to st Leonard's but will never go again they just want to make as much money from you as possible. The first time I went, we went to the fun barn where I was told I also had to pay to go on the slides even though my son was 18 months and was just just helping him off the equipment. Secondly when we were leaving my son wanted to have a very quick look at the lambs before we left, but a member of staff rushed over to tell me I had to pay. I told him we were leaving and only having a quick look at the lambs and he rushed off to get farmer James who told us we must pay or leave!!!!!! We were leaving anyway. I gave them the benefit of doubt and visited again with my family and friends but we got there 45 mins before they were due to close and they were going to charge us all full price. They would not even reduce the fee by £1.00. we paid as to not make a fuss or upset the children but they will never get my custom again. I live five mins away but I will travel to other venues 30 mins drive away just so I do not get ripped off!!!!!!! Local people know how greedy you are and will not go!!!

farmerjames1, Owner at St Leonards Farm Park, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
i have tried to contact this lady without success about these issues since neither myself or any of my staff have any recollection of these complaints. To clarify the points made; the total admission charge for an adult and an 18 month child for an unlimited play session in our Fun Barn, which includes the adult supervising and playing with the child on the equipment and slides is £1.95. We think this represents good value. This price does not include a free "quick look at the animals" on the Farm Park and we do respectfully ask visitors to pay the appropriate admission charge; we're not aware of any other farm park venue within a 30 minute drive or anywhere else in the UK who offer free quick looks. I am surprised that having visited before, and living locally, the lady was unaware of our closing time; again; we don't have a price reduction/late arrival bartering admissions policy and we don't think this is unusual either. As far as my being greedy and ripping people off all I can say is during the last 3 years of this recession we have kept our prices as low as possible; they are pegged up to September 2013 which will mean over a four year period admission prices overall will have risen less than 5% in total. Our costs during this period have risen significantly more than that but we believe passing on best value to our visitors (with no increases during school holidays) is largely appreciated by the many local people who visit us. I do hope "HelenGuiseley" finds another visitor attraction that better meets her needs.
Bradford, United Kingdom
“great ffor families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

its a great place to take the family there is loads for the kids inside and out and the people that run the farm are very helpful and go out of there way to make sure you enjoy your visit

Visited August 2011