“I look forward to going back” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Forster Square, Bradford BD1 4HU, England   |
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Bradford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cape Town is home
“I look forward to going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Bradford may not be the most attractive place in the UK but the city centre has been cleaned up and is bright and pleasant. It is a good centre for touring the historically rich area and its many beauty spots.

For my week's business trip I chose to stay at the Midland on the recommendation of a local friend. I was delighted from the moment I walked in out of the snow to the warm welcome of the lovely receptionist (Jackie) and was offered a glass of wine. Check in was fast and efficient and my room was spacious, well equipped, comfortable, and spotlessly clean, and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in for a long time.

The hotel is extremely well run and all the staff with whom I came into contact seem to take pride in their job and in making guests feel welcome, with a 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude.

I had dinner in the hotel restaurant twice, not a very extensive menu but everything was top quality and excellent value for money.

The hotel also has beautifully decorated public rooms and is an old railway hotel, restored with loving care, and really is a gem.

On a previous trip I stayed at the Hilton. The Midland is incomparably better.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

i stayed at this hotel a few months ago and i can say it gets better each time i visit. the staff reconise you even on your second visit it feels very welcoming, they are renovating rooms all the time. they are great. i will definatly return again & again. better than the hilton or the great victoria.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Phnom Penh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I stayed for two nights and was, on the whole, very impressed with the hotel - the public areas and reception staff were of a high standard for this type of hotel at this price. The location is terrific for accessing anything you need in central Bradford. My room was small, but adequate, comfortable, clean and had a cared-for feel about it. My only complaint was the service at breakfast, which was appalling, the buffet table was a mess and it seemed some categories of visitors - business men - got instant attention, while others such as single, older females like me and an Asian family at the next table one morning got ignored until we complained - despite several staff on duty they had absolutely no system for attending to customers.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Spent an overnight stay at the Midland, was very pleased with all aspects of the Hotel, from check in to the food, all were excellent, bedroom large and spotless, bathroom could do with a new bath and shower but otherwise it was ok. others complain about a smell but l did not notice anything unusual for a period hotel, some chain hotels smell like hospital wards, as for the entrance from the car park, yes; it is a bit gloomy, but you are not staying in it and soon get into the reception area,

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Harrogate
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

as a recent guest at a wedding hosted by the Midland I opted to stay in the hotel opposed to driving home! This was a severe mistake as I can't describe how bad this place is.

Upon pulling in to the car park I should have suspected the worst as the litter was blowing around like the wild west!! We took the back door in to the hotel which takes you up what looks like a disused railway station or something like that, in mind my TOTALLY ineffective as it look like arriving at the gates of hell.......funny I should say that as this wasn't far off.

I totally concur with the other remarks I've read that say it smells, it really does! The reception area looks so antiquated, you can keep original features but maintain an element of modernism. I couldn't say the receptionist was rude but really portrayed her unenthusiastic attitude marvellously, We headed for the room up the elevator.

Entering the room it was in all fairness spacious, the bed was ok but just in general was just old fashioned and REALLY HOT!!!! no aircon to control room temperature really bugs me as I like to sleep really cool. The bathroom was the most disappointing feature of all, cheap B&Q lino old wooden toilet seat hanging off cracked flowery tiles! I really could go on and on! It was abysmal.... The shower was my biggest pet hate as I have a hatred of shower curtains as they are the most repulsive creations known to man! The one had a habit of sticking to you as you were showering! something my Girlfriend and I laughed about.....The bathroom door didn't lock properly....good job our romance was dead a few years ago!

I must state it was an old room! But the best thing about the hotel was checking out and the road out of Bradford. For £85 I could have staying in a trusty Travel Lodge and got guaranteed cleanliness.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Stayed as a single overnight as part of a tour, so did not expect 1st class.
Check-in was one of the best I have come across in this situation. It was spoilt by having to decide there and then what we wanted for dinner at 20:30 (As we arrived a little later than expected, we only had just over 30 minutes between check-in and dinner). The lift was close to reception and rapid.
On arrival in the room, we discoved we had been given a double room not a twin room. So I informed reception and was told that it would be "converted" during dinner. On returing form dinner at 22:00, we found staff in our room converting the double bed into 2 singles. We were told to wait in the bar and they would come and tell us when it was ready. So we sat in the bar area (Could not get a drink for 15 minuites due to lack of barman, by which time I thought I would not bother). Nobody came to us, so we returned to the room at 23:00. The bedding that had been used was interesting to say the least. Bed 1 - The double dovet with a bottom sheet. Bed2- A double sheet folded over and one of those browm/grey blankets you associate with the army. On checking the bathroom, the "sealed" plastic cups for water appeared to have toothpaste inside the wrapping, so we had to use the cups from the tea/coffee.
The room was very warm, so had to have the window slightly open to cool. But as we were at the front of the hotel next to a busy road it was very noisy all night. There was an area of the floor at the end of the bed where it felt like the floorboard were broken and everytime weight was put on the area it sagged slightly. So we walked around this area. Dinner was very good quality and fresh with silver service. Drinks however were difficult to get hold of. Of the 5 people who ordered a drink on our table only 1 recieved it, the others who ordered a bottle of wine never got any. This was blamed on miscommuication between staff.
The breakfast was good quality semi-buffet, but was let down by the toaster alternating between not working and not browning the bread, so it had to be done in bulk in the kitchens and a large metal tray was brought with it already done. Only 1 member of staff was serving the cooked breakfast and items were running out every few seconds wilst the rest was geting cold. All other parts were self service.

As there appeared to be several wedding functions being held at the same time in the hotel, most of the hotel was dominated by them. This would have been a possible reason for the lack of staff time for other guests.

The public areas were very good and the hotel overall was nice. The staff I had contact with were nice overall, but either forgetfull or badly organised.

• Stayed August 2009
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

This beautiful Victorian railway hotel has magnificent public areas worthy of any stately home. The room was smallish but perfectly comfortable, and our request for a quiet room was honoured - we were put on the top floor next to the conference rooms, so nobody stomping past!

We only paid for a standard room (£75 double B&B) but I think we got a complimentary upgrade due to the great bathroom. Lots of freebies, including SLIPPERS!!!

Reception and housekeeping staff were very friendly, and the complimentary glass of wine on arrival was most welcome.

The choice at breakfast was good (English and Continental), the service slightly scatterbrained but again friendly.

The location is great - right by the station (no train noise), with free parking and right next to Bradford city centre within easy walking distance of all the tourist attractions, shops and restaurants.

We only stopped here to break a long journey but were very pleased we did and would certainly go back for a weekend.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Midland Hotel? Share your experiences!