“Exceptionally helpful staff and a pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Midland Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Forster Square, Bradford BD1 4HU, England   |
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Bradford
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Exceptionally helpful staff and a pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

From checking-in to leaving the staff were very attentive to us and our two dogs. The reception staff immediately arranged for us to change rooms when we complained about the volume of the band playing at a wedding reception in the function room. The hotel is very impressive, a grand old Victorian station hotel with wide hallways, wrought iron everywhere and ornate ceilings and panels. The furnishings aren't always in keeping with the grandeur but no doubt they're practical. As we had dogs with us we were glad the hotel wasn't all pastel colours! We didn't have dinner at the hotel but the breakfast was very good with lots of fresh fruit and a full vegetarian option. Ask to read the booklet on Sir Henry Irving, the Victorian actor who died there, it's very interesting!

Room Tip: Ask for a bedroom well away from the noise of the function room if there's a function taking pla...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Buteo
I am responding to your very generous comments made in the review you posted following your recent stay at the Midland Hotel, thank you very much indeed. It gives my team great satisfaction receiving positive feedback from our guests following a memorable stay, and the time and trouble you have taken in posting this review is very much appreciated.

I am delighted that you were looked after by the Reception team who reallocated you a different room, and please accept my apologies for the oversight of giving you a room above the Function. I am also pleased that you enjoyed reading through our information books on Sir Henry Irving.....a true Star of the early late 19th and 20th Century!

Hopefully we can look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel once again very soon. In the
meantime thank you once again.

Gary Peacock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I visited the Midland Hotel on business and stayed for one night in a standard double room. The hotel building itself is beautiful inside and out and very impressive. My check-in experience was great, very friendly staff who made me feel welcome and nice little touches like offering a glass of wine. My room was small but comfortable enough, the decor wasn't totally to my taste but it was clean and reasonably well maintained. The breakfast was very nice. I will definitely return as I felt it had a more personal touch and a lot more character than some of the other city centre hotels in Bradford.

Room Tip: Suspect that the executive rooms are worth paying a little more for but haven't had a chance to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Rob_M_UK,
Thank you very much indeed for your review following your recent one night stay.

I appreciate your very kind comments regarding the hotel, and particularly the friendliness of the staff, the welcome you received on check in, and the quality of the breakfast. In regards to the decor in the bedroom; as I’m sure you noticed the company is constantly upgrading areas of the hotel on our journey to make the Midland Hotel one of the regions finest, and we are continually upgrading our bedroom stock. It is indeed a beautiful old hotel that has suffered periods of neglect, but we are now well on the way to bringing back superior standards of hotel keeping to the city of Bradford.

I hope to be of service to you once again soon, but in the meantime thank you once again.

Kind Regards

Shirley, Surrey, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

In my opinion to warrant 4+5's out of 5 a hotel has to deliver over and above what you'd expect to be provided for your money. After all you are paying for a service and therefore shouldn't be overly grateful when you get it. Therefore, I conclude that the reviews for this hotel are little on the generous side.

I suspect the executiive rooms, recently refurbished as I understand, would give a better representation of the good side to this hotel. However, we weren't able to book an executive room as the "smoking" rooms are all standard. Our room was basic. Not completely clean with the floorboards collapsed in one section (room 217 if maintenance are reading this). Whilst not shabby the room was a long way from being anything other than average. I do however feel that the price was acceptable.

The restaurant was also okay, nothing more. A limited menu, but probably just enough for most tastes. We were the only 2 people in the restaurant on Saturday night which didn't lend to the atmosphere, but I understand that the hotel was hosting a huge wedding and that's where all the activity was.

On a positive, the staff were without exception pleasant and efficient. The hotel also benfits from a good position if not a good view - from our room anyway. So, I would recommend this as a serviceable hotel and that's about it. Probably worth the upgrade to executive to get a better aspect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Cliff36,
Thank you for your honest appraisal following your stay at the Midland Hotel.
I feel that your review is honest from your perspective from your own experience, and for that I am grateful. Clearly in order to have received a better review and score from yourself we should have afforded you a better quality service and experience and for this I apologise and also regret not having done so. I constantly review our guest comments and strive to improve standards wherever I can to make the guest experience better.

However as reviews as subjective I feel that your questioning of other guests reviews is quite unfair as they have posted reviews following their own personal experience of the hotel. To suggest that your opinion is superior to previous reviewers, in my opinion, is a little condescending.

Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed two nights in the Midland Hotel Bradford. The entrance foyer to the Hotel is magnificent and one is aware of the History of the Building and its associations with the Railway in the past glory days. The staff were all extremely helpful, the room was a good size and the bathroom was modern and included a spa bath. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and served by staff who were charming and accomodating. I did however feel that the room on the second floor was scuffed in places and I was disappointed that upon opening the window, the condidtion of the sash window was poor and there was a considerable amount of dust and dirt around the windows and window sills. On the whole though this was a most agreeable stay in a charming building.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear RHBCumbria,
Thank you for the review that you posted following your stay with us recently. I am grateful for your honest views regarding the hotels facilities, food and service standards. I appreciate your comments regarding the room on the second floor, and I will have Housekeeping look at the dust issue around the windows. In relation to the sash windows, they will be factored into our on-going refurbishment programme on the second floor. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your recent stay and experience of the Midland Hotel and

I look forward to being of service to you soon.

Many Thanks

Warrington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This Hotel is a splendid Victorian building built without compromise. It is truly beautiful. There are not many faults but I would say the decor which is beautiful downstairs is badly battered in parts of the corridors. My room was well equipped but again the view into the rather tatty court yard could be improved. The food was a good standard. It needs a little TLC but is a very good place to stay in Bradford

Dear MDJ63,
Thank you for your most honest appraisal of the hotel following your recent stay. I appreciate your comments regarding the decor and as I’m sure you noticed the company is constantly upgrading areas of the hotel on our journey to make the Midland Hotel one of the regions finest.

Truro, Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Due to our son's impending move to Bradford to go to university I have been to the city far more recently than in the last 20 years.

I have found the city a lively and friendly place and I have also stumbled across this gem of a hotel.

My first stay there was with my son when we started the flat hunting marathon. It was great stay (I booked through one of the online search sites). The staff were excellent and I gave them a deserved good review on the booking website.

I was very impressed to get an email of thanks from the General Manager! Not only that but he had done his "homework" well enough to not only know that my son was on his way to uni there but also to offer with local advise etc.

My wife and I were in Bradford again for 3 nights and stayed at the Midland once more and the service reported earlier was not a flash in the pan. EVERY member of staff that we had dealings with were friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and professional.

TIP - the best prices for this hotel are available on their own website. It undercut the so-called specialist hotel websites by over 15% in some cases!

My wife and I have stayed in hotels all over the world and this ranks alongside the best of them - I honestly don't know how they provide such a standard of service, comfort and quality at the price.

The room was truly exceptional with mattresses on the beds good enough to have us wanting to buy the same type for our own beds.

Breakfast was a delight each morning with fabulous food, an enormous choice and supreb and welcoming staff.

We ate at the hotel on two of the three nights we were there (something that we NEVER do normally) but their early bird menu was fantastic value and truly exceptional - it was good enough for us to eat there again the following night - that alone confirms the standard.

I must mention Reception which I praised in my last review - in that review I mentioned the professionalism of all concerned - I hadn't realised until this most recent visit that the young girl who impressed so much last time had only been there a couple of weeks at the time! Recruiting the right people and training them exceptionally well - very impressive.

Lastly a word on the man at the top who took time to meet us after we had exchanged emails. Like his staff he is professional, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I can see now where the whole ethos of the place filters down from.

We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough - it has us looking forward to visiting Bradford just for the quality of welcome that we know awaits us.

I feel I've probably warbled on enough for the time being. Should anyone have any questions about the hotel I am sure that Tripadvisor will pass them on to me.

Room Tip: Book via their own website and you stand a chance of getting a free upgrade if they have one availab...
Dear Pippaguesslady
What can I say apart from a very big thank you with all sincerity for your very generous appraisal of the hotel following your recent second visit. It was indeed a real pleasure to have made your acquaintance and to have been of service to you once again.

It is very rewarding for us all when our customers give us such positive feedback and it reinforces our beliefs in the journey that we are on; that is to be recognised as one of the best hotels in the region. I believe that the ethos around first class service starts with staff members who care about the clients they serve and the hotel they work in and I am thankful that I have excellent caring staff.

I am truly grateful that you chose the Midland Hotel initially and have subsequently taken the time to write your reviews. On a personal note I am grateful for your comments and having met me you will know that I am committed and driven to offer a service that perhaps has been lost generically in recent years.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in September; have a safe journey, but in the meantime thank you very much for your review.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Was only here for one night, but the room was great and the staff were very friendly. Plus I got my breakfast delivered to my room for free!

Only downside was the noise from the wedding reception downstairs. Luckily I always bring ear plugs with me when I travel.

Thery don't have a fitness centre, but they do have an agreement with a local gym so guests can use it for free.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Tony L,
Thank you for your very positive review following your recent one night stay with us, I am most grateful.
Your review is very welcomed and is informative also for other travellers, so many thanks for taking the time and trouble in reviewing. I do apologise for you having been allocated a room over the wedding, I will ensure better allocation of rooms next weekend!

I hope to welcome you back tom the hotel at some future date, but in the meantime thank you once again.

Regards

Gary Peacock

Been to Midland Hotel? Share your experiences!