“weekend away” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Great Victoria Hotel

You added Great Victoria Hotel to your Saves list
Great Victoria Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Bridge Street, Bradford BD1 1JX, England (Formerly Victoria Hotel)   |
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Bradford
Stockport, United Kingdom
“weekend away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at Victoria which is a very grand building, I liked all the old fixtures and fittings which are still in place. We arrived on the Friday, it has its own carpark which is free. The hotels position is in a good spot, right near a leisure centre and the town centre.
The rooms are small but basic, modern and clean, beds are comfy. Bathrooms also clean. Plenty of choice at breakfast, nice restaurant area, with table cloths. We had a meal at the restaurant and it was enjoyable and fairly priced for a hotel.
All in all, the hotel was clean, and good value for money.

Room Tip: choose a higher floor, if there is a wedding reception on at the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
VictoriaManager, Manager at Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments onto TripAdvisor.

We are glad to hear you had enjoyable stay and pleasant meal in our Restaurant. On your next visit to Bradford please contact our Reservation Team directly to book your room and we will make sure your requests will be accommodated.

We look forward to welcome you back again here at The Great Victoria.

Anna Krucinska

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed in the hotel for a business trip for three days at the end of August, the hotel its self is nice enough just difficult to discuss issues with. Ok, so the rooms, I was in a £49 a night room, nothing to grumble about really, sure the rooms are on the small side, but me not spending a whole lot of time in the room, this was not a big deal. The tea/coffee facilities were in the wardrobe though, which was a little odd, also in the wardrobe was an iron, ironing board and fan which was incredibly useful considering the windows just do not open. The boathroom however was huge, so much space I would actually say it was bigger than the bedroom its self, I'm not sure why they need to be this big when the rooms are small.

The service its self was a bit sketchy at times, first off, even though the room was booked through the company card and paid for using the company card, as soon as I got there they took £247 off my card to cover the 3 nights stay and a £100 security, whats the point of using the company booking system if the hotel charges your card anyway. The hotel has a 24 hour bar, very nice, clean and modern though it was often unstaffed, having to go to the reception to ask for service at early evening hours of between 6-8 when you would expect it to be staffed. The access to behind the bar is easy, so Great Victoria, if you ever have any missing stock, it's because you leave the area unmanned and people less honest than myself took a very easy opportunity.

Now this is where we come to the "poor" part of the rating, and I did struggle to decide between poor and average rating. After first night of my stay, the hotel changed ownership, so upon entering the hotel on the second evening, they requested I pay off my current bill of one nights stay and re-register at the hotel. The staff did not seem to grasp the concept that the room was booked on the company card through our booking system, so charge that card that they should have on file. Anyway, paid for that one night, got a VAT reciept for that one night, checked in for a second time and carried on with my stay, at the end of the stay the remainder of the bill was picked up on the company card and I thought nothing more of it till I got back to the office the following week and checked my personal credit card statement, to discover that the hotel had charged me twice instead of the once they informed me they had, so now I am over charged and no receipt for the second payment, nor knowledge of them taking the second payment whilst I was there.

After two weeks of chasing the hotel, them telling me first it was just the preauthorisation and would clear, and when that did not happen, them telling me they would investigate and get back to me the next day, several days later I am chasing the hotel once again to find out what is going on and being told it is still the preauthorisation, with me requesting confirmation that they had not overcharged the company card or my own card and either way provide me with a VAT reciept as proof of payment.

After multiple phone calls and emails all of which I initiated, with the hotel promising to call me at X time or on Y day and no calls recieved, I finally managed to get the VAT receipt from the hotel.

But all in all, a really bad service, taking payments without telling the guest and then ignoring requests for a reciept...just terrible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
St. Ives, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I recently stayed three nights at this hotel and it was the best aspect of a very disappointing coach trip. The accommodation was quite grand with every room being diferent although mine was one of the simpler ones. My main comments are reserved for the excellent hotel staff who could not have been more helpful. Nothing was too much for them I would lke to single out in particular Anna, the duty manager. She always had a smile on her face and went out of her way to look after us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
VictoriaManager, Manager at Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I will pass all your comments.
We look forward to your return.

Harleston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Thanks for a wonderful stay your staff were outstanding nothing was to much for them .
The party I brought up to you for three nights had nothing but excellent comments and left very
happy with there holiday . I myself will be staying there very soon as I was most impressed I will
be looking forward to a personal trip in this well sited hotel.
Thanks again Mr P Wilkie (SEE YOU ALL SOON)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for you comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcome you back again very soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I was put up in this hotel by my company and under the recommendation of a work college.

I arrived at reception and was told I would have to pay a deposit (pre auth)
This isnt normally the case when my company books it. So I expressed i don't normally pay pre auths the company will pick up any tabs or charges.

Completely ignoring what I had to say the receptionist shoved the card reader towards me.
I used a old bank card that is empty and this caused the pre auth the fail the receptionist seemed baffled and stood silent for several seconds before having me my key.

My room was huge almost like an apartment 3 different rooms all very large.

I called down to ask for an ironing board and was told it would be with me in a few moments.. 50mins later I called again and the iron board did appear but was left in the corridor as the member of staff left it knocked and walked away.

Breakfast was nice the next morning but I was re approached by 4 staff members asking if I wanted tea or coffe.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your review onto TripAdvisor.

We are sorry to hear your stay was not fully satisfying. Here at The Great Victoria Hotel we appreciate every feedback and I can assure you this has been taken on board by our Management Team.
It is part of the hotel policy and reception procedures to take pre-authorisation on the check in from every guest. If receptionist did not explained in a clear matter, we do apologise and sufficient training was put in place.
Regarding your wait for the iron and ironing board, on the busy nights the number of requests is higher and so this causes a longer waiting time. We do have new staff on board so we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the fact member of staff did not wait for you to answer the door.

Once again we would like to thank you for your comments and we look forward to see you again in future.

Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Nice clean rooms, well equipped, good food and the most helpful staff I have come across, nothing was too much trouble and always delivered with a smile. Was on a coach trip that left a lot to be desired, hotel made up for it.

Room Tip: Bit of traffic noise on rooms facing bus station.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comment.

We are pleased to hear you had a pleasant time and look forward to welcomig you back again.

Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

From our rather dramatic arrival (RTA outside the hotel) to the end of our long weekend stay, we enjoyed the care, concern and kind attention from all the staff, they could not have been more helpful. The room was comfortable and the food excellent. Would definitely stay there again.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking time to post your commets.

It is a pleasure that you had an enjoable stay here at the Great Vctoria. We look forward to welcome you back in future.

Anna Krucinska

Been to Great Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!