“Good food, nice pub” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 189 Restaurants in Chichester
Cuisines: British
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Description: The Fox & Hounds pub & restaurant offers fine dining in relaxed, elegant surroundings in the charming village of Funtington, near Chichester in West Sussex, boasting a truly fantastic wine list, well-stocked bar with a wide range of real ales, large garden and impeccable, friendly service.We are open for breakfast and serve meals all day. we are famous for our Sunday Carvery and traditional pub atmosphere. We are be opening our own Village shop in Early 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
“Good food, nice pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Nice and excellent food! It is a little overpriced but the service is okay! British style menu with a good choice of traditional and modern meals. It really is all you can expect from a good village pub!
We will definitely return soon!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Emsworth, United Kingdom
“Better than average, not quite very good, but rounded up.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We ate here early on a Friday evening. We had booked for and arrived at 6:30, before the rush. We were shown to the back and a table in the middle of the room. We asked if we could have a booth, but were told they were all booked. Okay, fair enough, but the table we sat at was too low against the chairs and it's a real pet peeve of mine when I can't cross my legs under a table! Service was friendly but quite slow. It seemed there was only one competent server and a bunch of clueless kids. We sat there for a half hour with empty glasses before the meals came out and nobody came to offer us a refill. To me, that's basic service- never let a customer sit there with empty glasses or plates- it either just contributes to a mess, or means they want something more, and if they do, great- more sales for you!

My husband's and son's burgers came out but my salad was a good five to ten minutes later. My son was nearly finished with his burger by the time I got mine, we couldn't get him to wait. But, my chicken salad was lovely and the guys enjoyed their burgers quite a lot as well. When we had asked for the bill (not very expensive, but certainly not cheap) it came over quickly, but then my card sat there for another ten minutes before being swiped. Even though I had got a bit annoyed by then, I would have given a 10% tip as I always do as long as they're pleasant, but I couldn't see a facility on the card machine and I had no cash. Next time, I will try to remember that.

So, yes, we would go back, it's just down the road from us and overall, was a nice night out. But I would expect better, quicker service next time. Oh, and when we left, the booth next to us had never been sat! I know somebody might have been late or cancelled, but it seemed a bit odd. Even if they had told us we needed to vacate by a certain time, that would have been okay, but I got the feeling they just couldn't be bothered. Who knows.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Better than most”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Our first visit was unplanned, the greeting, the attention, the menu...all good. The service was excellent and the food was the very best I have had in a pub restaurant anywhere. As we were staying for a while in the area we visited twice more with family and friends. The standard remained the same and everyone was suitably impressed by both food and service. Who ever runs the kitchens knows their craft, the choice on the menu is good and the front of house staff know their job. If you enjoy a glass of beer do try the Hophead ale, good English beer. Great value for money and a tip well deserved.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Deal, United Kingdom
“Great for family lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We've met here several times as a family for lunch, and have never been disappointed. Great food, traditional Sunday lunch style in the best British fashion. Good real ale too. Easy parking. Catered very well for my ageing Mum and Dad as well. Pleasant service, normal prices, and all you could want from a country village pub. Rejoice in the Lamb!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Awful carvery”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I came here to treat my grandad for his birthday, first of all the service was poor and was left waiting to order our starter and had to get the waitress attention. There were water glasses on table but no water offered, had to ask then wait a while for it! Then it was time to get the carvery, the beef was very rare, for a person who likes steak cooked medium it was too rare! So rare my gravy was turning red. There were also lots and lots of flies around the serving area at the carvery so goodness knows how many times They landed on the food sat there. The potatoes were like they fried in a deep fat fryer and vegetables were bland and not a big choice. When spoken to the waitress about out food we were not approached by the manager or person running at the time which would of been nice to speak to someone about our experience and apologies given, just didn't seem professionally dealt with as if it didn't matter. Overall a very disappointing experience for a lovely well decorated and positioned pub

Foxand H, Owner at The Fox and Hounds, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
I can only apologise that you did not enjoy your trip to our Sunday carvery. We do our upmost to ensure prompt and efficient service and it is clear we fell short of our usual standards on this occasion. I can assure I will take measures to rectify the service problems you experienced.
We always cook our beef medium rare for the carvery and appreciate that that is not to everyones taste, however in terms of cooking degree, we cannot satisfy everyone. By cooking it medium rare we allow for it to be cooked more for you upon request. The server on the carvery will happily have some beef cooked further for our guests if they feel it is not as well cooked as they would like. We also always have pork and turkey if you do not like the way it is cooked. The potatoes are roasted fresh every Sunday in a mix of dripping, sunflower oil, sage and garlic.
I apologise that i was unable to address these issues and rectify them on your visit. I do hope you return to us and enjoy a much more enjoyable experience.