“Avoid.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #77 of 189 Restaurants in Chichester
Cuisines: Bakery, French, Café, Tea Room
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located on South Street just a few minutes' walk from the Cathedral and Southgate. Stephane and his friendly team will give you a warm welcome and look forward to serving you a seasonal cafe menu, afternoon tea, delicious pastries and patisserie. Plenty of seating available. Licensed. Maison Blanc is an artisan bakery renowned for its speciality breads, freshly baked pastries, seasonal menu and of course world famous cakes and patisserie - all handmade to perfection and simply bursting with seasonal flavour.We're passionate about serving innovative, charming and authentically French food that leaves our customers craving for more. Our core value is Tradition et Qualite which remains at the heart of everything we do from sourcing the finest and freshest ingredients, to the creation of our recipes and presentation of our food.Originally created in Oxford in 1980, we were the first authentic patisserie in England. We now serve a little slice of France in 14 locations around London and the South. Our cafes are the perfect place for a rendez-vous with family and friendsWe adopt a joie-de vie attitude and believe that life should be enjoyed one delicate macaroon at a time.
Chichester
“Avoid.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went here today for afternoon tea and found the whole place unatmospheric. It needs better interior decor. It is just a square box full of tables and chairs. The staff were lacklustre (and slow - it took 10 minutes to get a pot of tea even though they weren't busy) and I will not be going back.

The bread and cakes looked excellent - instead, I will just pop in and purchase these rather than staying for a drink.

Avoid the cupcakes - they were like muffins with icing... and not that fresh.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Stephane B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. Sadly I will have to agree with you, the service hasn’t been at its best, and I would like to offer my most sincere apologies. I arrived about a month ago, and redoing everyone’s entire training has been my primary focus so that all our members of staff are back to the standards Maison Blanc is expecting of them. It has been taking us a while, but I am now confident things are back on track and I would be delighted if you were to come back and see our progress since your last visit.

Regarding the quality of the cup cake, I have been investigating with our bakery as well as with our other stores, but thankfully haven’t had any negative feedback. I am safely assuming it was an isolated incident; but I don’t want you to just believe me and would be delighted if you were to come back and try them again, on us.

Lastly, we are aware the décor has been an issue since the refurbishment as most of the store was left kind of unfinished… But our head office is now fully supportive, they have been listening to all our customers’ feedback and are sparing no effort to get the atmosphere right: professionally written black boards, mirrors, wallpaper have been added, and a new sound system will be installed shortly. We are also working on a better display as well as adding some final touches to the remaining walls.

I am hopeful to see you again.

Best regards,
Stephane.

Ham, United Kingdom
“light lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I popped in for a light bite and opted for the quiche, was nice not a big portion would not want this if you were feeling hungary but as I earlier had a full breakfast it was fine, hot chocolate was very nice but quite slow service and was not very busy, interior a bit drab looking.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Essex, England
“Inside doesn't live up to the name”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I hadn't read any reviews before dropping in for lunch but my husband did comment on the stark decor and crammed seating. Staff are very friendly. Husband enjoyed his eggs en cocotte(?) but I found my open salmon with asparagus sandwich really cold so not much flavour. Tea and hot choc were fine but £20 for not much food was prett steep. Wd not go back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Why fix if nothing is broken.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Why .... ? Food still best in chi. Yet the decor and furniture has now lost the values. I love everything blanc, yet this has been hurt by terrible design and cram cram cram them in......... Sorry but ..... WHY.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
West Sussex
“Where has the charm gone?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

When Maison Blanc opened some years ago it had considerable charm and was a nice place to enjoy good coffee and pastries. The coffee and pastries are still OK but the refiitted cafe has all the appeal of a municipal canteen. Tables squashed in to maximise cover, plain walls and cheap-looking furniture. There is now considerable competition in Chichester and even more planned for the future so they need to review their options.
The staff are good but they seem to lack support from the owners, whoever they may be.

• Visited December 2012