“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Suffolk House

Suffolk House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chichester
Suffolk House
You added Suffolk House to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   3 East Row, Chichester PO19 1PD , England   |
Ranked #68 of 73 Chichester B&B and Inns
Folkestone, Kent
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Lovely big room, comfortable bed, nice and warm. Good breakfast. Excellent location.
Bathroom needs upgrading though

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Very disappointed single room at the top of the house. Room was filthy - especially the bathroom that was covered in toothpaste stains across the glass shelf and sink. Shower was covered in mildew - only redeeming quality was the hot water. Evidence of what looked like a splatter of blood right next to the bed (I have a photo of this to dig out) and the icing on the cake was being confronted by a spider coming out of the bed.

I recognise that this is an old building and in a brilliant location a stone's throw from the sights and sounds of Chichester - but I didn't appreciate the poorly fitted, single glazed windows mid the horrific thunder storm during my stay. Cold, damp and a draft running right through the room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

It is the gap between the description in the brochure, available at the entrance to this 'hotel' (B and B would be a more appropriate title) and the reality that made the greatest impression on me. "Refurbished in 2009" - well, maybe it was refurbished, but the result looks like something that was updated in the early 1990s and has not been properly maintained since. The bathroom tiling and grouting in our 'deluxe' double room was certainly not of this century.The lady who serves the breakfast certainly deserves a mention, as she was friendly and very willing to please. The breakfast was adequate - ancient dusty muesli, no fresh fruit, but a very reasonable cooked breakfast if that is what you want. The "charming courtyard garden"? don't go there - the people who run this establishment clearly do not bother and do not expect you to either.Wonderful location, clean and reasonably priced, but shabby and run-down. On the first night there,those of our party sleeping in rooms on the street were kept awake by a very noisy party held on the balcony of one of the flats across the road, those at the back of the house found the rooms very peaceful. On the second night, sleep was not disturbed by any parties.
Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hertford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

This hotel is central for the shops, galleries, etc of Chichester but that is its only plus. I shared a twin room with my daughter. The curtains were half hanging off the rail so couldn't be properly closed, the shower room was mouldy and filthy and the shower head broken. The shower curtain dangled more than a foot up from the shower tray, was hanging on by just a couple of rings and was disgustingly dirty. Other parts of the hotel were also shockingly smelly, dirty and uncared for. One member of staff was helpful and polite but another didn't care whether we lived or died. I suspect he couldn't understand my complaints as he appeared to have no reaction to anything I said. A hotel inspector should visit and I am sure it would be closed down. If I hadn't already paid by booking on lastminute I would have refused to pay or at the very least demanded a discount.

Room Tip: I stayed in twin room number 8 - which was appalling.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed at the Suffolk House Hotel last weekend during a trip to Chichester for the theatre festival. It's a B&B rather than a hotel, but I booked mainly for the location, which was exactly what I was looking for - it was only a 10 minute walk from the train station and about a 15 minute walk to the theatres. I wasn't too familiar with Chichester and had never stayed there before so wanted to be near to the centre and the theatres.

I had a room on the ground floor, which was clean and had everything I needed for a 1 night stay, with tea facilities, towels, a TV and a bath too as well as a shower. There was some noise from people walking home later in the evening but it didn't bother me and I wasn't disturbed after I went to bed. Breakfast was included and I chose the full English option, which was good. The lady at breakfast was very friendly too.

I would say though that on arrival the person at reception wasn't overly welcoming. My room wasn't ready, but I was early so that was fine but I thought he could have been friendlier. The garden is also a bit of a shame, as it doesn't seem to be kept tidy so you wouldn't really want to sit outside even when the weather was nice. I think tidying it up and freshening up the dining room would be a big improvement.

Having said that it suited my needs for one night and I would stay again if I needed to, but probably not for longer than 1 night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

A better name would be just 'Bed and Breakfast', as it doesn't operate as a hotel really. It seems to have fallen on hard times!
Good: pleasant service from staff, who put themselves out to help me improve my stay. Consistently excellent cooked breakfast. Very central to the town, but quiet too.
Poor: non-opening bedroom window (but it was 'freed' when I insisted it needed doing - but then became stuck open!); TV wouldn't work (but another was brought when I asked for it - old model, only 4 channels); not much choice for breakfast if you didn't want cooked; I wasn't allowed to sit out in the garden because "the furniture's dirty" (which it was, as were the windows!)

Room Tip: Be clear about what you expect for the price you'll pay.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We booked this despite the negative reviews. It was very central, and within walking distance of all of Chichester's sights. The breakfast was excellent. Rooms were very clean and beds were good. It's located on a quiet side street, so easy to get plenty of sleep. Parking nearby in the cattle market car park (£3.50 per day). Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Suffolk House? Share your experiences!