“Average B&B for a 1 night trip.” 4 of 5 stars

Suffolk House
3 East Row, Chichester PO19 1PD , England   |
Ranked #69 of 74 Chichester B&B and Inns
london
“Average B&B for a 1 night trip.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed at the Suffolk House Hotel last weekend during a trip to Chichester for the theatre festival. It's a B&B rather than a hotel, but I booked mainly for the location, which was exactly what I was looking for - it was only a 10 minute walk from the train station and about a 15 minute walk to the theatres. I wasn't too familiar with Chichester and had never stayed there before so wanted to be near to the centre and the theatres.

I had a room on the ground floor, which was clean and had everything I needed for a 1 night stay, with tea facilities, towels, a TV and a bath too as well as a shower. There was some noise from people walking home later in the evening but it didn't bother me and I wasn't disturbed after I went to bed. Breakfast was included and I chose the full English option, which was good. The lady at breakfast was very friendly too.

I would say though that on arrival the person at reception wasn't overly welcoming. My room wasn't ready, but I was early so that was fine but I thought he could have been friendlier. The garden is also a bit of a shame, as it doesn't seem to be kept tidy so you wouldn't really want to sit outside even when the weather was nice. I think tidying it up and freshening up the dining room would be a big improvement.

Having said that it suited my needs for one night and I would stay again if I needed to, but probably not for longer than 1 night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

A better name would be just 'Bed and Breakfast', as it doesn't operate as a hotel really. It seems to have fallen on hard times!
Good: pleasant service from staff, who put themselves out to help me improve my stay. Consistently excellent cooked breakfast. Very central to the town, but quiet too.
Poor: non-opening bedroom window (but it was 'freed' when I insisted it needed doing - but then became stuck open!); TV wouldn't work (but another was brought when I asked for it - old model, only 4 channels); not much choice for breakfast if you didn't want cooked; I wasn't allowed to sit out in the garden because "the furniture's dirty" (which it was, as were the windows!)

Room Tip: Be clear about what you expect for the price you'll pay.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We booked this despite the negative reviews. It was very central, and within walking distance of all of Chichester's sights. The breakfast was excellent. Rooms were very clean and beds were good. It's located on a quiet side street, so easy to get plenty of sleep. Parking nearby in the cattle market car park (£3.50 per day). Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Surrey, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

the room was shabby, the bathroom if you could call it that more like a cupboard, was mouldy and dirty talc from the last guest still on shower screen, no hot water, when we complained, they were not bothered, breakfast room shabby, overlooking an unkempt garden, with rubbish piled in the corner old bed crates. So much noise from the other rooms we did not get any sleep.
Thank goodness we only booked one night.Not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011 via mobile

Chichester's a lively city, but never stay here. The service is atrocious.

• Stayed July 2010
Bangor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

booked on line. on arrival shown to our room. bed linen appeared to be clean. Then it goes down hill! Dirty drinking glass, broken toilet seat, carpet filthy bath encrusted with limescale you get the picture. Complained to the only member of staff immediatly got an upgrade to premier room, unfortunately, room just as dirty. Left soon after.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Read previous reviews after booking, always a mistake! We were expecting the worse, but found it to be okay. Luxury Double was large and appeared clean - we had to ask for towells but apart from that was fine. The non english staff were to be found lounging around with their lap tops when I went searching for them, but were helpful once they understood you. The breakfast was good although dining room in need of good clean and extremely shabby. The location made up for everything else for us, although parking quite pricey. all in all was okay

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Suffolk House? Share your experiences!