“Colin & julies wedding weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ship Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   North Street, Chichester PO19 1NH, England   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chichester
Kent, United Kingdom
“Colin & julies wedding weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife(Tina) and I stayed at the ship hotel last year in May with our very good friends Colin & julie for our 25th wedding anniversary, we enjoyed it so much that Colin & Julie decided that they would like to tie the knot this year in chichester so we came back to the ship and stayed from the 2nd of May for three nights. Colin & Julie got married in Chichester on the Saturday morning and as we stayed at the ship, Patrick the manager and all his staff made our stay very enjoyable, we had two evening meals one with bubbles courtesy of the ship to celebrate Colin & julie's wedding which was first class as was the breakfast. Chris the head barman very good at his game gave us a brilliant display of his cocktail making skills which blew us away and invited us to try them out ( I think Patrick had a hand in this ) they were fantastic, I can't express enough how everyone made our stay just perfect, lily our breakfast girl was always smiling as was nardia behind the front desk, Peter the other barman was very good and of course Lisa Patrick's assistant manager. once again, Patrick thank you very much and we will see you all next May 2016 as we have already booked if not sooner Kevin Tina Colin & Julie.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Cumbria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I love the Ship and stayed there several times. The rooms are well appointed in some cases quirky where the floor slopes and the upgrade of the accommodation has worked well. The Ship is clean and has a small car park, and the only hotel in the centre of the city of its type. The food is wonderful, apart from the fact that the breakfast chef uses too much vinegar to poach an egg - put me off my eggs benedict completely. However, the previous time I stayed there was a wedding and a subsequent loud DJ. Boom, boom, boom right below my room. I was working and thus looking for a quiet evening ! Decided to walk the streets of Chichester for an hour or so to ease the tension headache... Imagine my dismay to realise that on the latest stay there was another party on and I was in the same room - felt like I was on the stage! Hi Ho Silver Lining remained with me for some time. I did ask for another room but the hotel was full (on both occasions). The receptionist said she would advise me when the car park had a space as it was full on arrival. I waited in the bar. The bar manager is brilliant, offered me another drink when I explained that I couldn't as I was waiting to be told of a space. He went to look himself and lo and behold there was room, so I was able to move my car. Nothing from reception. Oh, and I was given a r key to a room which was already occupied when I entered - highly embarrassing. The evening after checking out, I received an email apology for the lift being out of order - it wasn't and I didn't use it any way.... I must say though that the events do finish at 11pm... just ask if you want a quiet night in your room. Previous hotels have always advised me about noisy events and also offer a room furthest away from the fun!

Room Tip: Away from the parties....
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Holyhead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

we thought we would pop in for the pre theatre menu. Our food was really disappointing. WE did complain to the waitress who looked a bit embarrassed and that was that.
The food was cold, completely dry and tasteless. We really ended up feeling cross. The best thing about this meal was the glass of wine. We won't be back

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We booked into the hotel for 2 nights to attend a wedding 6 months in advance. We called to confirm our booking the week before and to request a parking pass, which the confirmation email stated was required. Our booking was confirmed and a request was put in for the parking pass to be sent out. When we arrived, not only had we not received the parking pass in advance but our entire booking had been cancelled on their system! There was room availability for the first night but not the second. The staff member at the front desk handled the situation as best as she could under the circumstances. She offered to find us another hotel for the second night. We requested a late check out for 1pm as we would need to get ready for the wedding beforehand and wouldn't be able to check into the other hotel So early. Out of nowhere, one of the housekeeping staff (who wasn't even aware of the situation) shouted 'NO!' at us and then proceeded to rant at us about hotel policy and the duties of the housekeeping team in an incredibly aggressive and belligerent tone of voice. I felt like I was being attacked for a situation that the hotel was responsible for. We eventually negotiated a 12:30 check out time after the tirade was over.

The hotel and the room are nicely decorated. We had a 'superior' room but be aware that due to the age of the building, this equates more to a 'standard' room in other hotels. The amenities in the room were good. The bed was way too soft for my liking. There was also a dip in the middle which I kept sinking into. The walls are very thin. You will be able to hear all conversations and footsteps in the corridor.

We had dinner at the restaurant which was delicious and beautifully presented. However, breakfast was a different story. Our server informed us that we could have anything at the buffet which had a limited choice (croissants, cereal, and a bit of cold meat). It wasn't until I noticed another guest having a cooked breakfast and asked about it that she told us that that was also included. When she was removing the plates afterward, I had the cutlery and part of my breakfast dropped on my lap. Luckily, I was able to clean it off relatively easily.

I think it's pretty safe to say that given our experience, we will not be returning to this hotel ever.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Madison, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

This was our favorite hotel stay in
England. The room was spaceous,the bed comfortable, the bathroom clean and the water pressure good. We cannot recommend the attached restaurant though. Mediocre food and service.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A great centre of the city hotel which I have known from when I was a very small boy..
Spent a really nice weekend there as a centre for local walking. It is also ideal for visiting the city by foot, as it is central and walking distance for most things.
Staff and ambiance are excellent. The food was also excellent with a good choice and excellently presented.
On the down side, some of the rooms are in need of technical update, with loose water taps and slightly elderly electrics.
Overall, highly recommended. You feel well looked after there.

Room Tip: 3rd floor with views over the city!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My sister recently got married here and we enjoyed a wonderful day at the Ship! The staff were so friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble! The day and evening were held in lovely settings and the food was yummy! We didn't spend the night so I cannot comment on accommodation although my sister was lucky enough to stay over night in the Cottage which she likened to Heaven! A little bit of paradise in Chi! She cannot wait to go back for their anniversary to experience more bath time with the t.v
X

Stayed April 2015

Been to Ship Hotel? Share your experiences!