“Fine” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Chichester
London, United Kingdom
“Fine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We just stayed one night and it was fine. It made us giggle as the rooms are arranged rather like sheltered housing around little courtyards. Better than long motel corridors though. The staff were pleasant (especially the Italian chap) and fixed us something to eat although we were too late for dinner (last orders 9pm did seem rather early). Breakfast was good the room was clean and comfortable and we would have had a good sleep were it not for the smokers next door who spent until at least 3am going out onto their patio to smoke and chat and laugh loudly - they were not young either so no excuse. Hoping for more considerate neighbours we would stay again if we were looking for a stop off in the area.

Room Tip: Ask if there is one without next door's patio next to you!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CrouchersCrouchers, Owner at Crouchers Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear5492Cardinal
Thank you for your fair and honest review . I must apologise for the late response I thought I had done one but I don`t think I submitted it incorrectly? When we expanded from a small b and b planning restrictions limited what we could do , so outside bedrooms it was. I am happy you enjoyed good service from my staff although last orders at 9 pm is something I am trying address.It was also unfortunate about your neghbours keeping unsociable hours ! I am pleased though that you enjoyed the stay.
Lloyd van Rooyen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
east sussex uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had stayed here once before maybe 8-10 years ago , it was ok, nothing special.

So when visiting the area again to see Anthony and cleopatra at the theatre in Chichester(a little difficult to follow) we came frankly not expecting too much.
Friendly greeting , the hotel much larger , tastefully done , lunch was excellent really perfect and at £18 for 2 courses and£24 for three , what value ,then our room 18. With the four poster looking out over the field , cosy and comfortable.
On Sunday I had booked lunch elsewhere I cancelled it and ate here instead , very glad we did
We had lunch in the conservatory , the staff mainly young were as friendly and efficient as you
Could wish , the head waiter always around to ensure everyone was looked after, starter of mango and crayfish prettily presented , delicious then roast beef , yorkshire pudding , crisp vegetables , good roast potatoes ending with pannacotta.
Again a most enjoyable meal , the place was packed and that says it all.
When in Chichester this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Room 18 a four poster quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CrouchersCrouchers, Manager at Crouchers Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear AlanEastSussexUK
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased that you appreciated all the changes we have made to our hotel and restaurant over the years . My team are delighted you enjoyed your return visit and chose to eat in our restaurant . We look forward to seeing you again in the future .
London England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I first stayed at Crouchers back in the eighties or nineties when it was a shadow of its present size. In 2004 opted to hold a "significant" birthday party there after the first phase of the building improvements including the restaurant.

Returning after a gap of some eight years I was impressed with the further additions they had made including a great bar - a comfortable lounge and some great terraces - although the weather was not good enough this time to take advantage of that facility.

So much for history - what about the present stay. Our room was booked very late and so we had little or no choice - it was very small and we would have been loath to stay in it for more than one night. However it was spotlessly clean with a nice outside terrace.

We were hugely impressed by the youth, enthusiasm and politeness of the hotel staff- they really gave you the feeling that they wanted to be helpful and your stay was important to them.

Sandwiches on arrival and our evening meal were well presented - the latter served in their well appointed dining room.

Surely you ask there must have been something that did not please?- Well yes. The car park is a disaster (in our view!!) there is no tarmac surface and the whole is covered in very small stones which makes dragging your wheelie suitcase a real problem (even allowing for the unloading area).

With the overall constant improvements I am certain this will get fixed at some future time.

Overall a very pleasant short stay.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for one of their larger rooms if available.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CrouchersCrouchers, Owner at Crouchers Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear P&TLondon
Thank you for your your review. It is very encouraging that you were pleased with the work we have done on our hotel and restaurant since your first visit in 2004 . We have been hard at work on the property and fine tuning all the other aspects of our service . The car park has had to grow over the years and shingle was a good low maintenance option , but not friendly to wheelie bags , I know . My sttaff and I are always more than happy to help get the luggage from you car. We have been thinking that a nice tarmac car park will make thing easier . We hope to see you again soon , but perhaps sooner that 8 years .
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed here for one night and was very pleasantly surprised with the very warm welcome I received. My room was comfortable, (with a lovely deep bath), and I felt safe (always a concern when travelling alone). The menu looked appetising although I arrived I had eaten prior to arrival. Checkout was a simple process and took no time at all. A huge bonus was that the hotel did not hike up its rates during Goodwood Revival weekend (unilke many other hotels in the area!)
I would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to my next vist.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kirsty321Blue
Thanks for the great review and taking the time to write about the hotel . I am so pleased you enjoyed the bath and was happy during your stay . Next time Carlo and his staff would love to see you in the restaurant and we hope to see you in the very near future.I hope you enjoyed the Goodwood Revival if you went to it , that weekend we had great weather and the event was superb as usual.
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed for a long weekend over the August Bank holiday and were looking forward to a few days of delicious food. However during our entire stay the menu didn't change, we had booked for DBB and found our choice to be very limited unless we payed a supplement (averaging £3). I had the same starter every evening and my husband also found the choices to be very limited - there was no anticipation or excitement of our evening meal come the last night!!

The food that we did have was delicious and all the staff are extremely efficient and friendly.

Also beware booking an executive room if you want a decent shower. Our room had a spa bath with a hand shower attached, however there was no screen and due to the sloping ceiling you could not stand up. The spa bath was very uncomfortable due to the deep ridges on the base of the bath.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CrouchersCrouchers, Owner at Crouchers Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Discerning59_11
Thank you for your honest review . I am pleased you enjoyed the food and had good service from our staff.The truth is that our menus can be limiting at times when you are booked including an evening meal , especially if only ordering from the ala carte menu . Your feedback has promted a change and we now have more choice and less supplements on the half board menu. The menu has 9 starter choices ( 2 surcharge items) , 8 main courses ( 2 surcharge items) and 8 desserts excuding cheese. The room you stayed in has spa bath although not my favourite this is an option some of our guests do ask for. Our other exec rooms all have bath and shower . We appreciate your comments and have noted them for the future .
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here for one night and were impressed by the quality of the rooms, service and food. Our room was bright, clean and comfortable. The staff were discreetly attentive and the evening meal we had was delicious followed by an equally fine breakfast. Would definitely recommend if visiting the area.

Dear Hanafin
We are very pleased to have received your review, Thank you . I am delighted we were able to impress you on all levels with our rooms , service and cuisine quality . It makes a big impact on my staff receiving positive reviews and gives them the motivation to keep up the good work .
Kind Regards
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We live locally and have dined here a couple of times at lunch time. Always greeted with a smile ,with impecable service. The food is great and the hotel interior stylish and welcoming with a modern twist.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CrouchersCrouchers, Owner at Crouchers Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Dear Sharon-Katy
We enjoy seeing our local guests returning to our restaurant . This is very reassuring as there is a lot of choice for places to eat. We enjoy building a relationship with regular guests and look forward to seeing you in the restaurant again . Thank you for your review it is very well appreciated.
Lloyd van Rooyen

Been to Crouchers Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!