“Good service, pity about the food” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #129 of 182 restaurants in Chichester
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Minerva Brasserie offers a modern British menu using the finest local and seasonal ingredients as well as an excellent choice of wines.
Sussex
“Good service, pity about the food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Three of us dined on 22 May pre theatre with 3 courses. Fast and courteous service. None of the courses was worth the price. Pasta pretty well inedible and 'crisp' new potatoes soggy.
After commenting to the manager on the food he said he would tell the chef. What hope for an improvement?! - he needs to tell the management

• 1 of 5 stars Food

53% Recommend
Kent, England
“Ideal for pre-theatre meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We like the convenience of being able to have a pre-theatre meal 'on site' and this was ideal. We arrived 10 minutes before our 6pm booking, asked to have a pre-dinner drink and were invited to have it at our table. Didn't take long to order our food as there is, sensibly, a limited menu. However, service was so quick that we had barely been given our pre-dinner drink before our wine and starters arrived. I appreciate that they have to get through loads of people all arriving at the same time but felt we could have been given 5 minutes.

Food was very good, tasty and well presented, but portions not over generous. Service was pleasant and efficient. They seemed to have plenty of waiters and waitresses.

Tip: Ask for one of the larger 'tables for 2'. They seemed to vary in size and we were very squashed on our table with barley enough room for all plates, glasses etc. Not cheap

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Terrible food, terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I changed the booking in the morning from 3 to 4 people. It took ages for them to change it over the telephone but when I arrived it was still booked for 3. Even though the restuarnat was barely half full we were still given a small table for 3 and the 4th squeezed in, the specials had already run out( at 615) the service was really poor and the food small portions, poorly cooked and tasteless . It was grossly over priced Thank goodness the performance of Stevie was amazing and made up for such a poor start to the evening

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Hayling Island
“I believe it has improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Caper and Berry have recently taken over the catering service and I think it is an improvement. Comme Ca was the best pre-theatre restaurant, but sadly it has gone. The new people are trying very hard - I was chatted up by name, this has never happened to me before - outstanding. As 'Fumba' says, the customers are all very old, but that is just a fact for the CFT customers, only the old and slightly well-heeled can afford it.

We had a three course meal. The extras - 3 glasses of wine, extra for starters, extra for pudding took the price to £62.70 excluding the 10% service charge. With the service charge it would have been £68.97

I hate restaurants that add a service charge. They just do this to keep staff salaries down and make us pay. I would much prefer the French system where you pay what it says on the bill. All taxes and service charges are included.

They always add the 10% but call it 'discretionary'. I had it taken off the bill and put more than 10% in cash on the table because I wanted the waters to have all of it. I learned later that even the cash gets processed through payroll, meaning that staff have to pay tax on that too. I think most people just pay it all on the credit card and hope for the best.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hampshire
““Change of operator””
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

April new contractors test lunch .Good staff ,menu ok. No doubt all will come together in time 12 .5 % service charge The jury's out !

• Visited April 2014