“a fascinating and informative look at the creation and history of the town and people of Arundel. EXCELLENT!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arundel Museum

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 17 things to do in Arundel
Arundel, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My family and I are somewhat baffled by two points raised in the last review.
It is possible we visited the museum on the same day but our experience with the knowledgeable elderly gentleman with the beard could not have been more different. He was polite, well spoken and was able to answer all our questions we had about aspects of Arundel history.

Even my easily bored children listened to him in awe! We can only assume that the reviewer said or done something to offend him if he received an alternative approach.

Although we live very near the town, this was the first time we had visited the museum. We found it to be well laid out (not too cluttered which is the downfall of some museums) in a logical sequence and very relevant.

whilst I agree with the previous reviewer in that the building of the museum was funded by the National Lottery and Arun District Council, (most locals will be well aware of this) many thousands were raised by museum volunteers.

I was advised by a nice lady on the reception desk (this is also written on a sign) that although the cost of the museum was raised in this way, all the current and future running costs must be raised by the museum as it is a Charity and receives no funding for these costs.

This is (with apologies) how the lady on reception explained why the museum had to charge an entrance fee.

I do not object to this small fee which in many places would not even buy a bottle of beer.
Without this fee and the money raised from talks, walks and events at the museum I would like to know how the previous reviewer expects this totally unfunded and independent museum to survive.

Perhaps he may like to assist by giving up his time to open and run the museum along with all the other (I am told almost a 100) volunteers who give up their time so that locals and tourists can find out about this wonderfully historic town.

Its very easy to sit back and complain but not so easy to praise success.

We say, well done to the museum staff and volunteers without which we understand this museum would not even exist!

Visited February 2014

“£3 entrance fee - scandalous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Considering over half the costs were funded by people like me, a lottery ticket buyer and tax payer, I object to an entrance fee of £3 to this museum. The young lad on the desk was perfectly pleasant and polite but the older bearded gentleman was unwelcoming and positively rude. He will be the downfall of this museum.
Having watched the building works progress over the last couple of years, I must say the building itself is well designed and good blend of Sussex architecture. What a shame this is completely let down by the cold and parochial attitude of this elderly man. I appreciate all these amenities are usually staffed by unpaid volunteers, however, in this instance they are doing a dis-service to the museum.

Visited February 2014
Jeb2011, Manager at Arundel Museum, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
We are sorry that your visit to Arundel Museum did not meet your expectations. Unlike a lot of other museums, Arundel Museum is entirely independent, receiving no funding from the government or local councils. We were lucky enough to be granted a generous amount from the Heritage Lottery Fund which has been used to construct the museum and support the museum through its first year. However, our future sustainability is reliant on the fundraising efforts of our dedicated team of volunteers and our admission fees. We believe that we have set the price at a modest level and are confident that our visitors will agree that it is worth every penny.
We do apologise if you were made to feel unwelcome by one of our team of volunteers, we will look into this incident and react accordingly.
Rustington, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“A Local Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This newly designed museum right on the river Arun has everything you need to learn the history of the town. There are touch and see exhibits and artifacts to place the timeline and progression of Arundel. There are often specialist additional exhibits of which I got to see some inspiring images from a known photographer. The volunteers are very helpful, friendly and dedicated to providing a great experience for every visitor.

Visited December 2013
Horsham
48 attraction reviews
“Limited appeal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

The history of Arundel is well explained, but it's a bit short on interesting objects and artifacts. The admission price is better value for local people because it has a personal interest. For the average visitor, it may seem a little dull and not really worth the admission fee.

Visited October 2013
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Simply Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I visited the museum with my family recently and was delightfully surprised by the warm welcome we received upon entering the building. It is situated in a lovely corner of the town, in view of the Castle and right next to the High Street. The volunteers who welcomed us at the front desk were very knowledgeable about the town and this encouraged us to go into the museum and learn a little more about the history of Arundel.
My husband and I have young children (a girl of 9 and a boy of 7) and each were given a quiz to take around the museum while we visited. This really helped them both to engage with what was there - the Sedan Chair and the Air Raid Siren were particular favourites! I also found the displays to be well presented and interesting - a good use of space in such a modern and fresh style.
The steward showed us the museum's handling collection which the children were encouraged to hold, as well as us adults. It was a wonderful visit and I would fully encourage young families to go to the museum in future as well.
I was pleasantly surprised and will be returning for the Christmas event that is running there in a few weeks time. Well done Arundel Museum!

Visited December 2013