“the worst manager in england” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Barnham, England, United Kingdom
“the worst manager in england”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

As we arrived we were pleasantly surprised as the site looks lovely and is in an excellent location...however, crap food, crap landlady, she was rude dismissive and arrogant, lovely site what a shame its run by Helen. as we spoke to others on the site the consensus was that she was a pain and didn't know how to cook.........not great attributes for the chef and landlady......give it a miss if I was you......

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Leeds, United Kingdom
“A real fail.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I was once stumbled upon this humble little pub on my way back from Arundel one day. It is truly tucked away for a reason. As the promise of a "proper pie" was delivered by a snarling barmaid, I noticed a caterpillar perched on my salad leaf. When I pointed this out to the staff the bar maid grabbed my food away and shuffled off into the kitchen mumbling, without as much as a real apologie. The bar maid, who after a rather laborious conversation I discovered to be the landlady brought back my food -1 caterpillar. As you can imagine, I was less than impressed with the service and the general lack of hygiene from caterpillars to dogs running though the kitchen. I would rather have dinner in Mordor than in the ship and anchor

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
West Sussex
“A Proper Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Yes, the 'proper' pie pub as per the blackboard as you leave the road, is a 'proper' pub. A cheery, friendly and most importantly welcoming landlady, great pies, fab chips and yummy veg, all homemade, great value, nice atmosphere.

We'll be back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rustington, United Kingdom
“"What a lovely meal, it was great".”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I belong to the U3A Luncheon Club in Arun West Rustington, we visit different venues every month, generally keeping as local as possible.

Thursday 18th April 2013 we visited the Ship & Anchor with a group of twelve, mostly couples. On entering the pub the welcoming was lovely, the person who meet us she was the most welcoming and happy sounding lady that you could ever find. The place had a roaring fire near the front door as you entered, which was a most welcoming feature, on a raw, windy day, and the atmosphere inside was great.

My wife and I sorted out our drinks and made our way to our tables {which had all been pushed together, to accomodate the twelve of us}. I had a starter which was the most generous and creative "Chefs Own" chicken liver pate'.

My wife skipped the starter and ordered the "Chicken Leek & Bacon Pie" in their homemade pastry crust, set in a creamy sauce, with an array of vegetables, all their helpings were more than generous. I had the Glazed Pork Steak topped with an apple fritter, and a container of chutney, with a side dish of the most tastiest chip, the best I have tasted in years, and the lady asking, if we needed anymore vegetables, if so, just ask, it was really a filling meal, and I, had no room for a sweet.

So, I cried off having the dessert, but my wife settled for a fresh fruit basket, topped with cream, so yes, - Bang goes the diet - we really do enjoy our grub, and todays food, was a plus, coupled wife a service, that was beyond reproach.

Summing up our crowds feelings, - The meal was a great success - with lovely people - a great atmosphere - and great food - we awarded them a 15 out of 10 and in the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, we will be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rustington, Littlehampton, West Sussex
“What a lovely meal, it was great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I belong to the U3A Luncheon Club in Arun West, we visit a different venue every month, generally keeping as local as possible.

Today we visited the Ship & Anchor with a group of twelve, mostly couples. Entering the pub the welcome was lovely, the lady who served us was the most happy sounding person that you can find anywhere.

My wife and I sorted out our drinks and sat down at the tables that had been put together to accomodate the twelve of us. I had a starter which was the most generous and creative 'Chefs Own chicken liver pate'.

My wife skipped the starter, and went forward with chicken leek and bacon pie in a creamy sauce in their homemade pastry crust, with an array of vegetables.

I had the glazed pork steak topped with an apple fritter, and a container of chutney, with a side dish of the most tastiest of chips, the best I have tasted in years, it was a really filling meal, {the helpings were more than generous} it was as much as I can handle.

I cried off of having a desert, but my wife settled for a fresh fruit brandy basket, topped with cream, so yes, - bang goes the diet - we really do enjoy our grub, and todays food and service were beyond reproach.

Summing up our crowds feelings, it was a total success, will we go again, you bet, we informed the lady who served us, that we had awarded her and the staff a 15 out of ten.

Great place, great service, great food, I have no hesitation in recommending this place as a number one meal out.

• Visited April 2013