“Goodwood FOS Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Arundel
Mirfield
“Goodwood FOS Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Spent three nights recently. Absolutely perfect stopover for the Goodwood festival. Only 15 min drive away from the festival car parks.
Booked evening meal every night which was very good, choice of a la carte or bar meal.
All staff were very polite and helpful. Particular thanks to the manager Fay who sorted out a payment problem with Hilton Honours to my satisfaction and gained me a credit note, she could have said it wasn't her problem but she picked it up and sorted it.

Will book again next year.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_Avisford_Park, General Manager at Hilton Avisford Park, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review about Hilton Avisford Park following your three-night stay in July 2012.

We note that you were staying with us during the Festival of Speed at Goodwood and found us to be the perfect stopover.

We were pleased that you found the standard of food to your satisfaction and our team members very polite and helpful. Thank you for your particular mention of Faye who sorted out your payment query.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your feedback. We do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again for next year’s Festival of Speed.

Hilton Avisford Park

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here a number of times over the last few months and last week i truly lost my patience with this joke of a hotel.

Here are a few observations of what you can typically expect if you waste your money here.

- majority of the rooms are sub standard, I have stayed in many Hilton hotels and this is this worst by a mile.

- somehow, and I don't know why but the temperature of the hotel seems to be mainland at a ridiculous 35degrees making it pretty much impossible to sleep.

- i often arrive back at my room and all my things have been dumped into my suitcase and thrown in the wardrobe (unusual behaviour)

- checking out seems to be a completely unfamiliar practise to the people who work on the front desk, I now just walk out of the hotel and a bill will usually arrive in the post.

- wifi is not fit for purpose....they seem to change the login system every time I stay. Last time I tried to get an issue resolved at reception they gave me the number of the Hilton IT service desk - putting the customer first again!

- I checked in last Monday 25th June and there was a party taking place beneath my room on the first floor, things degenerated from an out of control party, into fighting, fire alarms set off at 2am, doors slamming, blood on the walls and floors.....I had around an hours sleep, and on returning to the hotel the next day somebody then had the audacity to correct me on the facts because he had read the report of events from an imbecile of an employee who was there the previous night.

- couple this with an argument at check in every time I stay based around the latest invented room rate and I would say we have got things pretty much right.

If your going to stay in the area stay at one of the pubs in Arundel.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Hilton Avisford Park, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review about Hilton Avisford Park following your stay in June 2012.

Due to the age and nature of the building the size and style of our bedrooms vary and it was disappointing to note that the standard of accommodation did not meet with your satisfaction.

Whilst we do not have the benefit of air conditioning in our bedrooms we do provide fans to assist with temperature control.

Our Housekeeping team are not in the practice of touching guest’s belongings and putting them in the wardrobe.

All members of our reception team follow thorough training procedures before they are allowed to check our guests in and out of the hotel so they are fully knowledgeable of this process. Whilst our room rates vary they are not invented by the reception team at any given time.

It was very unfortunate on the occasion of your visit that some of our guests did not show consideration towards our other residents which resulted in a disturbed night. However, we have received feedback from some of our other guests complimenting us on how well our team dealt with the situation.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your feedback.

london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband booked this hotel for my 35th birthday as a surprise. When he booked it he was told that there were no superior rooms avaialble for the first night, but there would be for the following two so my husband booked it. When we got there we were shown to the standard room, which was relatively poor considering the price. The furniture and decor were outdated and the tv was not working properly. However my husband was assured by front desk that a superior room would be available for the following two nights and to come back to the desk midday the next day. We thus wasted the morning the next day in order to sort our upgrade only to be told that there were no superior rooms available. We were shown a slightly larger standard room but it was not much better so we asked front desk what they could do about the situation as we had been misled. The response we received was what do you want us to do! The girl (Zoe) was very rude in her manner and had no customer service skills so we asked to speak to the manager. The manager offered to discount our first night by 50% and put some wine in the new room. This was a fair gesture so we thought we would try to make the most of it, however on the last day (my birthday) there was a fancy dress party being held, the people were very rowdy and there didnt seem to be any staff around. About 1.30 in the morning the fire alarm went off so we came out of our room and saw blood all over the carpet and on the door one down from our room. I actually stepped in some as we came out. The situation did not seem to be dealt with efficiently and thus we barely had any sleep. Thank goodness there wasnt an actual fire as the staff didnt seem to know what to do or how to handle the situation. The only consolation was that we didnt pay for the night. However the whole weekend was a disaster and certainly not the way I wanted to spend my birthday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

It was very disappointing to read that your stay with us on the occasion of your birthday did not meet with your satisfaction. The particular problems you encountered with your room and attitude of the team member with whom you spoke have been addressed with further training in order to avoid similar incidents in the future.

We do rely upon our guests to be considerate towards other residents and be respectful of their expectations of a peaceful stay. It was very unfortunate that during your stay some of our guests did not show any consideration towards other residents or team members and caused a disturbance.

Regarding the fire alarms, whenever these are activated I can assure you that we take such activations very seriously and have set procedures to follow.

It was pleasing to note that as a gesture of goodwill the room rate for that particular night was removed from your bill.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your feedback. We do hope that you will decide to return in the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I had the unfortunate experience of staying here on Monday 25th June. Whilst driving up to the hotel- I was met with a crowd of rowdy drunken people around 25-30 standing at the entrance in fancy dress and they would not move. I struggled with a large case and lots of equipment. The fire alarm was set off twice during the night around 1.30 am and again at around 2.00. There was banging of doors all night, I got up when I heard a tannoy shouting something extremely loudly. I walked down the corridor to be faced with an incident and staff cleaning up what looked like broken glass everywhere. It was terrifying and as a business woman on my own I felt very unsafe. I got 1.5 hrs sleep the whole night. I would have checked out at 2am if I had the courage. I complained very angrily to the receptionist in the morning, whilst paying my bill. I should have been offered an explanation, an apology of what was going on. Nothing except i will bring it up at our staff meeting! Women were wondering around at 7am with dressing gowns on in reception area. No etiquette, no dress code absolutely disgusting behaviour. I really don't know what type of clientele stays at this hotel but I can assure you it wont ever be me again. Worst night ever in a hotel! If those types of people are having whatever drunken-disgusting events then other guests should be informed. Its not like it just happened it was obviously an organised event. I stay in hotels every week on business and NEVER have i had to encounter such gross conduct and behaviour! and there is no lift!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

We do rely upon our guests to be considerate towards other residents and be respectful of their expectations of a peaceful stay. It was very unfortunate that during your stay some of our guests did not show any consideration towards other residents or team members which resulted in a disturbed night.

Whenever the fire alarms are activated, I can assure you that we take such activations very seriously and have set procedures to follow. It was very unfortunate that on this occasion the activations were caused through the wanton behaviour of some of our guests.

Following the incidents on this occasion some of our guests complimented the team on how well the situation was handled.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your feedback.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Hotel first - This is not a purpose built modern hotel, its a country house that has been expanded and had the Hilton branding mapped on it, perhaps 20 years ago. The lobby, lounge, dining are fine, but corridors have odd slopes, rooms dont have A/C and its a bit higgeldy piggledy . But staff were good and its comfy, if tired in places (this will be the norm I with current downturn me thinks)
First 9 of Golf course is in the lovely mature and manicured surrounding parkland, back 9 tacked on, more field than park. I was firmly told on the phone not to wear jeans, was I on a video line? This always makes me smile as some day glo dressed golfers look like they were in a collision with a clown's wardrobe. Anyway I suppose it keeps out the Steve Jobs denim clad riff raff out, who needs our spend :)

Room Tip: If possible first floor not second - more spacious
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

The main building is a Georgian Manor House which in turn was a former Catholic Boys’ Preparatory School, so it is steeped in history and as such has many characteristics inherent from its past which make it quite unique from purpose-built modern buildings.

We were pleased that you found our team members good and the hotel comfortable.

While the golf course forms part of the grounds of the hotel, this facility is run independently from the hotel and we are unable to comment on the dress code you were advised to adopt.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your feedback. We do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Avisford Park in the future.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Met up with friends at the Hilton Avisford Park to celebrate a 60th birthday. The Staff couldn't have been more helpful from Reception to Housekeeping, they looked after us very well. When we arrived at 10.30am we had a coffee in the lounge, (breakfast was still being served) we'd been up since the crack of dawn so we asked if they had any cakes and were told to help ourselves to croissants and pastries, which was nice.
Our room was a basic double as booked, it was small, and overlooking the delivery yard and the bottle recycling bin, so wasn't very quiet. But it was clean.The bathroom was very small, and a bit cramped, the sink had a stain round the plug hole, which had obviously been there a long time, and I'm pretty sure with a bit of bleach could be removed. The bed was small but comfortable and the pillows were good, and as it was summer I was pleased to see the quilt was a summer weight one, there was also a fan in the cupboard under the tv, and there was a safe too.
The evening meal in the restaurant was pretty good, Elli our waitress couldn't have been more accommodating and helpful. I had the Confit of Duck and it was delicious, moist and with crispy skin. The cauliflower cheese side dish could have been better, the cauli was rock hard and burnt in places. The carrot side dish was fine. Everyone was generally happy with their meals, just one complaint that one of the lamb dishes was only warm and could have been hotter. England were playing Italy in the Euros and all the men were dying to watch, so Elli said if we'd like to order our desserts she'd bring them out to us in the lounge. Which was very kind. There seemed to be a little confusion with our bill and they brought the wrong one originally, but it was sorted.
We stayed till gone midnight in the lounge, and the staff were brilliant behind the bar, and also those that were collecting empty glasses and fetching drinks orders. I witnessed one guest speak very rudely to a young lady behind the bar, and I thought she did very well to keep smiling and be polite.
Breakfast was freshly cooked, plenty of it and a good choice. The plates could have been a bit warmer and the toaster was a bit suspect. But all in all a very good experience, again the staff were really pleasant. Having worked for 6 years in a Marriott hotel, where it's all about the customer, I thought the Hilton did a very good job in training their staff.
It was our 3rd time to Avisford Park and in general it's a lovely hotel in a lovely spot with a good golf course, with excellent staff, but I thought it looked very tired in places. I saw some wallpaper torn and hanging off the wall at the top of the stairs. The hallways looked liked they needed updating and some fresh paint and I didn't like the paintings hanging in the corridors which were for sale and buy a local artist, they looked very tacky I thought.
But whoever is training and keeping the staff motivated is doing a good job, because they certainly helped make our stay a pleasant one.
We would definitely stay here again, but in a better room in a better position.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade from a standard room if you can, and ask for a quiet room away from delivery areas.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
GM_Avisford_Park, Front Office Manager at Hilton Avisford Park, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review about Hilton Avisford Park following your third stay in June 2012.

We were delighted to note that all our team members looked after you and your friends and delivered high levels of service. We appreciate your particular mention of Elli and were pleased to note how helpful she was.

Your comments regarding the meal have been noted and passed to our Head Chef so that he can more closely monitor dishes being passed for service. We were glad to note, however, that everyone was generally happy with their meal.

We do have an ongoing programme of maintenance and the wallpaper you mentioned will be looked at as part of this programme.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your feedback. We do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Avisford Park for a fourth stay.

Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Took a group of senior citizens to this hotel for 4 nights, excellent location with loads of places to visit nearby. The food was very good although the choice could have been a little more varied for evening meal but the breakfast was exceptional. The staff really make this hotel they are very professional but friendly as well, creating a lovely atmosphere. The grounds are very well kept and the golf course is a bonus!

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Guest

We were delighted to note that you and your group had an enjoyable stay with us and found the location ideal for visiting places in the local vicinity.

It was also pleasing to read that you enjoyed the food, in particular the breakfasts, and your comments regarding variety in the evening meal menu have been noted.

We pride ourselves on being a friendly and professional team and were pleased to note this was your experience.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your feedback. We do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you and your party back to Avisford Park.

Hilton Avisford Park

Been to Hilton Avisford Park? Share your experiences!