“TLC required” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Arundel
Coventry, United Kingdom
“TLC required”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Norfolk Arms is in the centre of town and compared to the advertising feature looked very shabby and forlorn. From the rotting jaded flags on the outside of the building, the courtyard/entrance not having been swept for a long time, the empty plant pots with cigarette ends in them and these were first impressions. It didn't get any better, the room was shabby. There were what I can only assume and hope were wine stains on the carpet and not new either! The bed/linen had a stale smell about it. I couldn't get the shower to work the first morning of what should have been a 3 night stay but ended in 2. I cancelled the third night. Breakfast was busy and the second morning we waited 40 minutes for it to arrive at the table. The tea and coffee was help yourself in one corner completely separate to juice, cereals etc. It was dangerous walking amongst others during breakfast with hot cups of tea or coffee pots.
My son bought me this 2 night break and it was very disappointing. The only consolation was the lovely receptionist Michelle who tried to put things right. The waiting staff and assistant manager were also very pleasant. No compliments though to the manageress.
So much going for this hotel with foresight but definitely tender loving care required.

Room Tip: See it before you book it
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear 303littlehelper,

I am sorry you found the hotel such a disappointment but good to know that you were full of praise for the team, though clearly not for my managerial abilities.

Having been recently acquired by St James’s Hotels from our previous owners, we are already actively improving our linen stock, breakfast service is also being re-assessed – we have removed the DIY toast facilities and I believe the coffee machine is also to be removed in the future. I hope that what ever was wrong with the shower was resolved after you reported it.

I am in the process of placing an order for new flags which I hope will be processed – and as you may have seen from other reviews St James’s have plans for refurbishment throughout the group.

Next time you visit us, you will see that TLC has been abounding!

Elizabeth d’Apice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Essex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Great location with lots to do and see in Arundel and beyond. Hotel was built in the 1700's and has some quirky charm as expected. Staff make every effort to ensure you enjoy your stay.
Rooms are clean and food is well presented.
Great value for money and its nice that a hotel provides free wi-fi unlike some of the hotel chains.

Dear RosL14,

Thank you for staying with us recently and I am delighted to read that your stay at the Norfolk Arms Hotel was such a success - I hope that we will see you again on a future occasion.

Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I had a groupon deal for afternoon tea at the Norfolk. We went today. The sandwiches were dry and truly awful, a slab of possibly date/ginger/fruitcake who knows, each and the scones were inedible. Another couple in the "lounge" had the same experience. We were unable decide if they tasted of salt, baking powder or washing powder!! We travelled from Brighton and had really been looking forward to this, so sdo disappointed, never again!

Dear Bernie C -

I am so sorry that your scones were such a disaster - we obviously became aware that there was a problem, but not until tea service had commenced - as soon as we were aware we sourced scones from a supply in Arundel to replace the original ones offered, and I am sorry that we were unable to remedy yours - now that you have brought this to my attention, please would you contact me at the Hotel so that I can remedy this with you.

Again, please accept my apologies for this really unfortunate incident - we have served many groupon teas and have had lots of guests returning for further visits, I am sorry that yours was a let down.

I await to hear from you.

Regards
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The hotel is right in the middle of the town and has free parking. We took our bikes which the hotel accommodated for us. The staff are really helpful and friendly. The cooked breakfast was great. The décor is slightly tired but the hotel is spotlessly clean.
J&S, Kent

Dear Jackie C

Thank you for staying with us recently, I am delighted to read that everything was good for you from arrival at our location to your departure - I do hope that we will see you again in the future, and thank you for taking time to review the Norfolk Arms Hotel.

Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Just stayed here. Staff friendly and helpful. The location is smack bang in the centre of town and all the shops and sights. Including free parking is another plus. Our room was clean and functional, although the decor a tad tired.Our evening meal was in the tiny and quite dingy norfolk room, but our three course meal was freshly cooked and excellent. Breakfast was in the Arun room, much brighter and cheerful, and the selection and quality of buffet and the cooked breakfast food was good.

Room Tip: We were in the annex, not the best, but functional.
Dear JuneJuandoo

Thank you for staying with us recently – we are all pleased that your stay was comfortable, and as you may be aware we will be addressing the issues of the property as we were acquired by St James’s Hotels in March and they have a planned programme of refurb.

I am sorry you were not able to dine in the Arun Restaurant – we generally use the Norfolk Room when we do not expect more than about a dozen diners, as the Arun Room is so large that if it is quiet you can feel a little lost in there! However I am delighted that the meal was good wherever it was served!

I hope we will see you again.

Harrow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Located near the River Arun,very "Buzzy" area,Antique shops and across the road from the Hotel an excellent Pasta Restaurant,the there are two Restaurants together upstairs and downstairs,upstairs is excellent value.
The Hotel was built in the 1700,s parts of the original building remain,the service was excellent,Breakfast varied and good. We were in the Courtyard Annexe,overlooking a Suntrap Courtyard with garden furniture,enjoyed a bottle of wine whilst chatting to other guests.Only stayed one night, enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: A bonus in Arundel, the Hotel has its own Carpark
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Brian P

Thank you so much for staying with us recently – both the team and I are delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay at the Norfolk Arms Hotel, and I hope that we will see you again.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

The look and feel of this Hotel is as theTitle. Situated in the High Street in Arundel, with on site parking, enabling guests the freedom to view the historic town of Arundel. There are arranged ´walking tours´, and talks upon the history of the town. My room was situated at the front, and as it is the main road through Arundel it can be rather noisy. The room was very clean, but the furnishings were tired, and the carpet threadbare in places. The Bar and Dining room were a little chaotic due to ? staff shortage. Evening meal was average. The breakfast on the other hand was superb, with plenty of choice -cereals, fruit, porridge etc. as well as cooked breakfast. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and appeared to leave their own jobs to help around the hotel wherever, and whenever it was needed. There is no lift, so therefore could be difficult for anyone who may be disabled. The Norfolk also caters for Weddings, and holds ´Wedding Fair´events on certain dates.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
NorfolkArmsHotel, General Manager at Norfolk Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Lindy S

Thank you so much for staying with us recently, and I am delighted that you found the hotel comfortable, the team helpful and friendly and a breakfast to set you up for the day!

As I have responded to other reviewers St James Hotels acquired us in March 2014 and have a planned programme of refurbishment throughout the group, which will of course improve the Norfolk Arms Hotel enormously. Although we do not have a lift, we do have ground floor rooms which are perfect for guests who may have accessibility issues
We are a lovely venue for weddings, in fact we have one this weekend!

I hope that we will see you again.

Elizabeth d’Apice

Been to Norfolk Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!