“End of a 24 year era” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sonargaon

Sonargaon
153 Daventry Road, Coventry CV3 5HD, England (Formerly Sonargaon Tandoori)
+44 24 7650 4670
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #52 of 427 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Meaning 'Golden Village' this name originated from the capital city of Bangladesh, Dhaka. Sonargaon has been based in Coventry since February '86 and it has since been an Indian restaurant with a difference, emerging onto the culinary scene as the only genuine Bangladeshi restaurant in the city.
“End of a 24 year era”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I used to love the Sonargoan since moving back to Coventry in 1989 and, even when we moved further out from Cheylesmore, we would never think about going anywhere else to eat in or takeaway. Like some other reviews here I've found that the quality of the food isn't as good as in the past and it just isn't special to go there anymore. It used to be a regular treat at holidays and birthdays (the kids loved it) and we'd always take visiting friends and family there. We'd order takeaway a couple of times a month at least.

There used to be an older chap who I guess was the manager but I suppose he's retired now; I think that was when things started to change. In any event, the welcome just isn't there these days which is a shame. They've also taken a few of our favourite items off the menu so it makes more sense to try out other options.

The food isn't bad by any means but it is very ordinary now when it used to be outstanding. All things must pass.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Meb A, Owner at Sonargaon, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hello DerekH, firstly thank you for taking the time to write out a well informed review for the restaurant.
I am always happy to receive feedback from clients and to learn of ways I may improve as a Manager.

Firstly you are correct to assume that the restaurant has undergone new management. Unfortunately the previous manager is no longer with us and it has been a slow delicate process to inform the many clients that he has had the pleasure of serving and more so befriending over the entirety of his career opening the doors of the Sonargaon in the late 80's.
He is obviously sorely missed by the community and we had received great reassurance from our clients.
As his next of kin I had undertaken the responsibility of continuing his work and I would like to reassure you that although the management may have changed, our kitchen staff have not.
We are still continuing to provide quality indian cuisine prepared carefully and daily by passionate chefs. Furthermore I like to believe I still hold the same ethics and sense of good customer service and hospitality that the restaurant has been renowned for, verified through the TA community and daily clients, being as although this may be my first year as manager/owner it has been my seventh as an employee.
To sum up, due to the circumstances 'change' has been inevitable, as years go on business, substance, style and expectations will all change due to an ever growing society who's demands may 'change' as time goes on. However it has been my duty to reform but hold true to the basis of what has made the restaurant what it is today: our customers, new and old.
I am truly deeply sorry if the restaurant can not be as it once was to your recollection and I empathize.
I thank you for your years of customs with us and am happy to have been of service to you and hopefully continue to do so. However there is only one thing that I completely disagree with you on, this may very well be for you 'an end of a 24 year era' but for myself, my gracious clients and the friendly staff here who waits to greet their smiling faces as they enter through our doors,

'This is only the begining'

- Meb Ali, Director of Sonargaon

Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Good food and very good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I had to stay in Coventry for a night and as my Company's policy restricts the cost of a room stayed in a Premier Inn on the ring road. I was going to use the associated restaurant but as it was full and I couldn't book a table I used trip advisor to find me somewhere to eat. I'm not sure if this was the one I intended to eat at but it was where I ended up. There was an early bird special which I chose and had a starter, main and side for £15. The service was very attentive and quick and friendly, the special was anything on the menu except king prawn, which I don't really like. I had an Onion Bajhi, and chicken bhuna with a light a fluffy Garlic nan bread. The food was hot and tasty, nothing outstanding, except the nan which was one of the best I've had in a long time. having said it wasn't outstanding it was good and had sufficient spice for my taste. Would I return? Yes I would try it again! Although not being a local can't comment on VFM but where I live it was good compared to places near us.

Visited November 2013
“Take aways are now half the size for the same price!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Not sure if this place has been took over food was lovely before now all the currys taste the same we had a take away 2 diffrenent mains tasted the same just a few more chillis thrown in one also the take away portions have shrunk by half so won't b eating here again

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Meb A, Manager at Sonargaon, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I apologize if you have felt the portions have decreased. We have now changed our containers to a more durable plastic alternative to the weak foil ones we had previously used.
We make sure we give a very suitable portion for value and I assure you your money is going towards the quality in which we prepare our dishes. The team is at the restaurant every lunch through the week to prepare all dishes freshly for the evening ahead. Everything from the meat to a garden salad is bought and prepped on a daily basis, I hope you would be able to give us a second chance. Thank you for the feedback.

Meb Ali
Sonargaon
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Expect to wait and tasteless bland food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Over an hour for starters. Not offered drinks when seated. Popadoms offered after being seated for 10mins. These came before the drinks. Ordered a coke, it came from a 500ml bottle and was flat.
Starters (onion bhaji and sheek kebab) tasteless and greecy sad wilted salad on side.
Mains were just as bad. Food wasn't hot, nor particularly tasty.

Great for take out because you get you whole order in less than 15 mins and 25% discount. Would not recommend restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“One of the finest Indian Meals I ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

went last night, for the 2nd time in about six months, wanted to be sure the first time wasn't a fluke. Great looking place, great staff, very friendly, very polite, very attentive. I had the Nagris Kofta starter and Lamb Green Herb main, it's a curry with lots of corriander and green chilli. My wife hada the vegetarian Thali. We have no complaints and will certainly be going there again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere