“Poor for the price” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Poor for the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I visited Coombe for an overnight stay, bed and breakfast with my partner. We had an evening meal in the restaurant from the a la carte menu. It was very poor. Small portions, bland taste. Very expensive. I won't be going again. I could have cooked something myself for a tenth of the price that was far more tasty. It was a real let down. I can say that the bread that was served with the meal was heavenly and the puddings and coffee were nice. But the main meal...I definitely would never recommend.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“The best cream tea I've ever tasted!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I've been here twice now for a cream tea and would go back every week if I could justify it! The dining room/conservatory is absolutely beautiful and for the second visit we sat in one of the gorgeous bird cage/draped areas. This was so romantic and private (if a little hot on the day we chose!). The cream tea is surprisingly good value (£7.95) for the setting and the quality. The scones are the absolute best I've ever tasted and I've raved about them to so many people ever since. They are large, fresh and tasty. Two scones is just about all that I could manage so I don't know how people pack in the sandwiches etc too when they order the afternoon tea. The service was a little bit slow but we weren't in any hurry so it really wasn't an issue.

We went for a walk in the grounds afterwards and they were a really lovely way to spend an hour on a sunny day.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“medieval banquet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

went to the abbey with a group of girls and I have to disagree with most peoples views on the food and service itself. Yes it was use the fingers but no one seemed to mind. The spare rib was delicous as was the chicken served after with a good sized jacket potato and salad. The entertainers did well to keep everyone singing and laughing and we all had a great night out. We went on to the disco and found time to have a look around it really is a beautiful place and would have loved to have stopped the night.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Poor organisation but pulled it back with good food and ambience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The table organisation for Sunday afternoon tea was very poor. We waited at the 'stand here' sign for 10 minutes to eventually be told to come back in 20 minutes. When we did the queue at the 'stand here' sign had extended to the degree that enforced a further 20 minute wait. A pity because once reaching the front the staff are polite and helpful but rushed off their feet. Sunday afternoon understandably is a busy time but I feel they should organise themselves better because afternoon tea at Coombe Abbey is a treat and customers shouldn't be queuing in a line longer than acceptable at McDonald's. The tea itself is absolutely lovely, the surroundings very pleasing and the staff were apologetic and pleasant. I would go again but maybe on a weekday when it's less busy.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Coombe Abbey Hotel and Resturant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I visited for a wedding in 2011 and I was very impressed with it. Although I did not stay the night I saw my great auntie's hotel room and it was of a good size even if the decor was a little old