“Have a meal at Granny's - enjoy” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Late Night
Belfast, United Kingdon
“Have a meal at Granny's - enjoy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Having a large teenager in tow, a restaurant which couldn't squeeze us in suggested this place. Said the food was good, home cooked and good value. They were spot on.

You might be shocked if you arrive thinking of Browns the chain. This isn't one!

Food is genuinely good value and isn't a boil in the bag special. Great value. With potatoes and two veg dishes come in 3 prices. £6 for veggie dishes and many meats. £7 for some meat dishes. £8 for the final few meat dishes, like the duck and plum sauce I had. Duck had potential but was a little dry where not touched by sauce or gravy.

Our veggie enjoyed a broccoli crumble out of a great range of 8 or 10 veggie dishes. Blackboards show the main dish, your choice or potato, and two of the vegetable sides. Cauliflower cheese was great. Carrots were sticks, not fantastic but felt like they were chopped in house, not watery frozen veg. Courgettes were firm and tasty.

Peppered pork steak was also good.

Drink good value with range of wine at £10 per bottle. We had a lovely £14.50 South African chenon blanc. franshoek.

Placing the order at the bar was rather hard work. The guy with the ring through his nose clearly has it for a reason. He needs led! Or at least more training. Couldn't hear us. Didn't know what wines they had. Then opened the wine we hadn't ordered. Then told us the other one we had ordered wasn't there! He wasn't unfriendly just inefficient. Perhaps the speaker above his head prevented him hearing the customers?

Waitress delivering food was friendly. Three main dishes, bottle of wine, milk shake and a sparkling water came to £37. Great value.

These days so much food is just heated on the premises. This is the real McCoy. Think of having your meal at Granny's. Not food to set the World alight, but properly cooked homely fare.

Notice on door saying no one under 18, so don't know if you can bring the children. Maybe phone before setting out.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Coventry, United Kingdom
“I would say decide for yourself :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Whenever I have had food there the waiting staff and people who served have always been really friendly. And for the price and fact it is home cooked and healthy makes it a refreshing change for me. I have been there recently on a Sunday afternoon and Bank Holiday Monday afternoon and had a very well cooked lasagne, with cauliflower cheese, carrots, lovely fluffy potatoes, and I have never been anywhere in Coventry I can have all that on one plate! The steak is very well cooked when I tried it, and I always leave feeling very full, and that I have had a bargain.
-----------
The menu has great choice, salads, different potatoes, meats, fishes, vegetarians are well catered for. I have had very nice flavoured gravy, and great choice of none alcoholic drinks, as well as beers, ciders, cocktails, etc. And considering some chains are over £5-6 for a burger and fries, when you are paying £6-8 for all that food I don't consider it over priced at all.
------------
I have also popped in just for a quick coffee and had nice cakes, soft drinks, it is good for me as my parents like it, different friend groups, always somewhere for me to take people that don't live in Coventry and enjoy going there for a treat when they visit.
-------------
I can see what others are saying as my friends have had problems getting in at night due to what they looked like it seemed, or whatever the reason, and some say certain staff are rude. However I have to say whenever I have been in the male owner has always been helpful and friendly, young bar staff always smiling and happy to help, and I have been afternoon, night, weekends and always had a really fab experience there. I go regularly as my haven away from busy chains where I can get something different.
-------------
In the summer the beer garden has a fantastic view overlooking the picturesque spots of Coventry, and the building itself has interesting art work on the walls, nice comfy booths, and mood lighting, nice back ground music.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely quiet gem in Coventry!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We went with friends lovely service lovely windows to watch the world go by as your eating (we actually viewed a carnival procession while we were eating) and great value to money they also have a great range of vegetarians dishes too!

Visited August 2012
Warwick
“Browns”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

You're always guaranteed a good sized portion of food here. There are loads of choices for vegans and veggies too. Staff were very friendly.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“good for a short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

It is good but not exceptional - actually it depends on what you are searching for. For a quick one is fine, but nothing exceptional and avoid espresso.

Visited October 2012