“Avoid this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Doncaster
“Avoid this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

I would like to start this review by saying that I have never left a review on a hotel. I am fairly easy going and usually accept the hotels I stop in, but felt obliged to the public to make them aware of the disaster that is the Beechwood.

I had planned to stay in this hotel with a colleague for 3 nights... we tollerated 1 (and that was because we arrived late and was unable to get anywhere else). Upon arriving, my keys were simply left out on the reception desk, with nobody on the reception desk to process my booking. The receptionist was working on the bar, which meant anyone could have taken them!! When walking up to my room, I noticed room numbers stuck on with cellotape or even written on with black marker pen. The doors didnt go down to the floor, so some rooms blocked noise out by using towels. When getting in my room, my windows were broke and wouldnt close, so it was really cold all night (the locks were hanging off). I had a dead snail on the window cill, the net curtains were full of holes and very dirty and I wouldnt like to suggest what was smeared down my wall (apparently it was paint.... whatever!) and the room had damp patches everywhere. It was also really noisey, with music playing until well after midnight. My colleague, also had just as much joy with this horrendous place. The lock on her door didnt work. She had no hot water (it had all run out when asking the staff), her TV didnt work , the carpets were filthy and she had water flooding from her ceiling at 12.30am. All problems were complained about, but the dead snail would have been more accomodating then the staff in this hell hole.
Speaking of which, none of the staff spoke a word of english, they wore scruffy clothes and were very very rude.
How this hotel stays in business is totally beyond me.
Save your money and stop in a shed, it would be more enjoyable!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Quality
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

We decided to stay at The Beechwood because of its ideal location, near the Ricoh Arena. We booked for 2 nights as we were visiting Coventry to see Bon Jovi.
We ate in the restaurant on the first night and the food was so good we ate there on the second aswell!
The rooms are basic but comfortable and the staff were very helpful with good local knowledge.
We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The friendly staff.
  • Disliked — The decor was a little dated.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
asplund
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2006

Can I just say that the hotel had to be refurbished early on in the year (see previous reviews), due to the flood, and it was genuine, my family live in the same area so we knew!!. The hotel has been refurbished so that the restaurant has new wooden floors throughout, and leather furnishings. It has fast grown to be the best renown food in the area. I had a wedding in Coventry in August and the hotel catered for 40 Norwegians and 5 english, and the service was second to none. The bar stayed open until 7am every night and were up to serve breakfast at 8am ..... how many hotels do that!!. We got half price drinks half the time and even though the restaurant was fully booked each weekend, they still catered for us perfectly.
If you want a personal touch - this is the hotel for you. They are lovely staff and can't do enough for you.

• Liked — Service, Staff and restaurant
  • Disliked — Rooms were average.
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the golf range next door
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Welwyn Hertfordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2006

Having stayed at this Inn/Hotel this week (19/20 Sept) I strongly advise you to update you web page for this establishment!

I used to stay at this hotel twice a year until two years ago when, in my opinion, the place became very 'tatty' and the staff less than enthusiastic about service.

Read recently, on someone's we page, can't remember which, that it had been recently refurbished and was worth a visit so two colleagues and myself have stayed there this week. What a shambles!

Greene King no longer own this place - sold to an investment company in May last year and it shows. The place is run and staffed by foreigners who obviously have no concept of British culture and the levels of service required for their customers. Should have known something was amiss when I originally rang to make a reservation and was asked to call back later as they were in a meeting! Without boring you with all the details, including the fact that bathroom refurbishment is ongoing but there's a problem somewhere as my room had a more than faint whiff of sewerage which they were trying to overcome with a very strong, permanently plugged in air freshner.

There is also a security problem. The reception is unmanned most of the time. When I arrived to check in I had to go to the bar and get the only bar person to complete the process. All she did was ask my name and give me a room key; no registration card to complete. So it's not surprising to learn that a colleague, also staying in the hotel, tried to contact me in my room only to be told by reception there was no Mr Bridges staying at the hotel! I'm sure anyone could ask for any room key number and they would pass it over - or you could help yourself - they were often left in an accessible area.

All I can recommend is that this place should be avoided at all costs!

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Lack of service
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't bother
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. For starters there was never a member of staff about when you needed one. There was a note in your room to say that the hotel was being refurbished, however I think this letter was just to try and cover up the poor quality of the rooms, if the hotel was being refurbished, there would be skips and things around the hotel, none of these were seen.
However the worst case that happen was whilst in the shower in my poor quality falling to bits room, one of the tiles came off the wall and landed in the bath, this could have been very dangerous, especialy if there had been a small chil in the bath at the time, however when I complain to the scruffy looking manager in his baseball cap and trousers he made out that I should be thankful for being allowed to stay in the room, because if he didn't let out his un-refurbished room's we wouldn't have any where to stay. in the end he did agree to us not paying for our room, but only after he had snatched the key from hand.
As this was my mums wedding night we had booked several rooms, so you think the customer service would have been of a very hi standard but it was the complete opposite, not one of the staff spoke english, there were beer kegs and a gazebo in front of the fire exits. When my mum and her new husband went down to the bar after midnight because they were residents, the bar staff refused to serve them several times, until they managed to explain to the foriegn bar memeber that they were residents. In my opion you would better of going to the Royal Court that is only a stone throw round the corner and not waste your money staying at the not so friendly inn.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Beechwood Inn? Share your experiences!