“Management issues” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
asplund
“Management issues”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I gave this place a great review 5 years ago when it had a different manager and I had wedding guests staying here. We just had a similar situation with lots of guests staying but the atmosphere couldnt have been more different under new management. Some of the tv's hadnt been connected after months, its like they are just there for show. The guests were paying different rates despite us agreeing on a rate previously for our group. The music for the party had to finish at 11 on a saturday night which I can appreciate because of other guests, but still seemed a bit early. None of our guests could get served drinks after 11 which is unheard of usually if you are a resident somewhere. The staff had all walked out the week before and they do seem to be under staffed alot. The food was good though
We get the impression that the wages here are terrible, and the owners are very tight, which is why they cant keep any good staff and the place is going slowly down hill. Its also looking more and more tired, it needs a loving touch.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
portland dorset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

we stayed at this hotel on the 23rd 24th and 25th of august 2012 , we booked by phone and for a double room were given a price of £35.00 per night , I paid over the phone by debit card that should be a total of £105.00 i was sent a email confirming the booking that i did not check exept for the dates were correct,on recieving my bank statment at the end of august i have had £165.00 taken from my account , on checking the email the price had gone from £35.00 per night to £45.00 per night , we have been over charged £60.00 on the price given over the phone , and £30 00 by the price on the email , after 5 phone calls there is no sign of getting my money back after all sorts of excuses from this load of robbers ,, WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT PAY OVER THE PHONE FROM YOUR DEBIT CARD ECT, better still dont take a chance and stay some where else , my next step is the office of fair trading and the police fraud dept watch this space for up dates,,,,,,,

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I booked a room for a father for one night as he had come over from South Africa, everything was ok we had a nice meal in the evening.
Met my Dad sunday morning for breakfast at 10 am, to be told breakfast finished at 9.30am and chef had gone home.
I could accept that, but my Dad was told it was on till 11am and no problem would sort it out when we wanted it. Management did not even offer a sorry or refund, will never use it again!!!!
Bar staff and food was excelent, management very poor.

Mr Barnett

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

went for a birthday party room was not very good they blocked the fire exit with a table so if there was a fire there was only one way out which is not very good.
food was very basic and drinks were very expensive.

wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Carcavelos, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed at the Beechwood for one week to attend a exhibition on the NEC, it was not close but at the time we booked it was the most affordable in the area.

The rooms are basic but comfortable, the heating works really well, you cannot put it on max :)

The staff was excellent, it seems that there are two girls that do everything, from working on the reception to the bar and restaurant always with a smile on their face.

We needed to receive some packages on the hotel for the exhibition and there were no problems at all, we even left some stuff there so DHL could pick it up for us.

The food was excellent, the restaurant was almost full everyday but it's not a problem if you want to sleep as it closes at 11pm.

I really recommend the chicken wing and humus.

They are now expanding the hotel by building some extension to the existing building, so more rooms will be available soon.

Next time I'll visit Coventry or attend to a exhibition at the NEC this will be my first choice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed at the Beechwood Inn for 3 nights in March 2012 with my nephew and his fiance. Enjoyed my stay as the rooms were basic but comfortable and clean. I was overly impressed by the staff as one young lady seemed to be doing all the work as she checked us in and then she was there in the bar serving us, and again as our waitress; she was a delight, smiley girl who seemed very attentive and knew what she was doing. Then on my second night I was impressed again by the service of a new waitress but seemed very experienced to me and she couldn't do enough for us. Breakfast was the same with a foreign lady who spoke excellent english and was very helpfull too. The food was excellent and the surrounding area was beautiful. However my only complaint was a guest/customer/staff (I couldn't work it out) who walked round the hotel with a hooded jacket on which i was suprised that he wasn't told to remove as he looked very unapproachable and intimidating. I would recommend this hotel to anyone as it was a pleasure to stay here and will come again on my next visit to Coventry.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011 via mobile

Nice room, outside looked abit tatty, and not enough staff, only stayed one night but would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Beechwood Inn? Share your experiences!