“2.5 - Faulty Towers, Indian version but food good” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
UK
“2.5 - Faulty Towers, Indian version but food good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Like Claire S, I also bought a Groupon voucher to share with my friend. The restaurant, which used to be Dogma bar looked lush and inviting, which was just as well as it was very cold outside that night. It wasn't busy on that Thursday night, so got seated immediately but once we sat down, it became interesting.
The beer I ordered was listed in pints and half pints on the menu. However, once I ordered a pint, the waiter told me that they're still installing the beer pumps and only had Cobra in bottles. I was fine with that and when the beer came, I only got a small 33 ml bottle. Hm...
I then told the waiter (who said that he only started on the Monday) that I had a Groupon. I had two copies: One for me and my friend as reference and one that i handed over to him. When we ordered he claimed he didn't have a copy. OK, easy mistake to make but it didn't end there. It was the start of a catalogue of errors.
You can order 5 dishes as part of the deal, but he needed to keep going back to check which ones. After we'd enjoyed our starter of chicken salad, we expected something different but got another salad - this time mango and paneer which we didn't order. Two ladies sitting further along from us piped up and said "I think we may have your starter" and when we told the waiter, he simply apologised and swapped them around in front of us. Luckily, they had not touched theirs but to me, it was bad form. At the ordering stage, I saw a dish I wasn't familiar with so when I asked what it was, he did not know and when he came back, the answer still wasn't clear. Nevertheless I ordered it and it tasted a bit like dry Bombay Mix noodles with tamarind sauce. I expected a warm starter but that was my error as I shouldn't have assumed.

Amongst all the dissatisfaction with the slipshod service, the food was actually very nice, although portions are comparatively small but it's meant to be Bombay street food and similar to Spanish tapas in size.

My friend made me see the funny side of it as I was beginning to get frustrated and irritated. She ordered another sparkling water but got nothing and upon her querying she received tap water and the request for a wine got ignored. None of the waiters/waitresses seemed to be having much of a clue and it felt as though they'd just been dropped off by coach that night expecting to run the place. Very strange. Like I said, I don't mind people making mistakes but they kept on making more which was testing my patience. What a shame, as I liked the food.

Certainly a memorable visit, which can't be said about every restaurant I've eaten in.

So, if you want something different and don't mind that they cannot answer questions re the menu or have draught beer, then please give it a go. I would like the place to succeed as it ticks the box of nice ambience and good food - just the service needs an overhaul and the area a revival.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Awesome flavours, quality foods, superb decor and good attentive service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Went here on the weekend as a family of three and we thoroughly enjoyed the food and drinks experience, the cocktails are very well made and yummy!! The decor is probably the best in Coventry and the service was very attentive and well informed. There is a comfy and cosy bar area as well as a very clean and well presented restaurant area. A must try from us..

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
“Small portions overpriced and poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I bought a groupon voucher to come here with some friends. The deal we got seemed great value and we were looking forward to going. We booked a table for 7.30pm and were the only people in there for the whole night!

The room was cold and the toilets were freezing. There was no hot water in the toilets either.

Service was poor and extremely slow. We were there nearly 3 hours and as I said, were the only people in there.

Portions were extremely small and at full price very expensive. The rice, however, was massive! So comparing a baby size portion of curry to a giant size portion of rice, it only wet the top!

Naan breads were bought out over 5 minutes before the rest of the food so were cold. Rogan josh was nothing like a rogan josh! For approx. £9 per curry, I am sure a small child would still have been hungry!

Would never visit here again. Nice location and nice décor but very overpriced for poor quality food and tiny portions.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere