“My Review on our stay at the Allesley Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Allesley Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Birmingham Road, Coventry CV5 9GP, England   |
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“My Review on our stay at the Allesley Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

On Arrival on first site at the entrance from the main road thought the hotel looked Run Down and in need of repair, then arrived at the entrance didn't look to bad. however once inside after check-in the corridors dark and gloomy, Our room was very basic, paintwork in need of repair, bathroom was not clean, tiles were in need of repair, a shabby shower curtain which drenched the floor when using shower. Bar was very poor. The breakfast was good though. But for the price we paid for 1 night it was not good. Receptionist was friendly enough though.

Room Tip: maybe the rooms in the added on part of the hotel would be better because they are a little newer..p...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Allesley Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. Your feedback is welcome and appreciated. Please also accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion. The hotel continues to upgrade and improve the bedroom facilities. I have circulated you comments regarding the bar and breakfast quality to the team at the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

It is wrong to call this a Hotel, rooms are very poor and unclean, staff really don't care and I would tell people to not bother wasting there money. Yes it was cheap but is no excuse for a dirty room. I spent one night here, and really just was desperate to get home and have a shower.
Wondering if the HSE know about this place?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Allesley Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties experienced. I have passed your comments to the Head House Keeper, Reservation team and Maintenance department. Remedial training within the House keeping team has taken place since you stay. The hotel has upgraded the majority of the bedrooms and bathrooms at the hotel, this does not excuse however the quality of cleanliness experienced. Your comments have been used to ensure that future repetition does not occur. Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback.
staffs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Having been booked into the hotel as wedding guests and then having read the reviews we were naturally concerned about even spending one night at this hotel! We were then pleasantly surprised when we turned up and were greeted by a very friendly lady who allowed us to upgrade our room to a nice large room with a good bathroom. The only improvements I can think of would be a shower curtain and towel rails. In every other respect the room was comfortable and suitable for our needs. Breakfast was adequate and the very basics were served plentifully. We weren't expecting the Ritz and the Allesley certainly is not this but it didn't appear to us to be as bad as other reviewers have indicated.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I have circulated your review to the team at the hotel who wish to convey their thanks also. It is good to hear that you appreciated the improvements which have been made to date. These improvements are continual and can only enhance the hotel and the area in general.
cornwall
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Booked last minute and got the room for £48 instead of £99. I WOULD NOT pay £99 ever. The room we first had was miles away from reception. The bathroom was disgusting with mildew around the ORANGE bath sink and toilet. I could not get the free WiFi either. I rang reception and was told I would "struggle to get wifi in the room, I'd have to to the reception or bar" which is not acceptable hen it's been advertised as free wifi and not free wifi in one area! I asked to be moved as the bathroom was grotty. The second room was ok. Not fantastic but clean enough. The manners of the staff were minimal to say the least. The decor of the whole hotel was tacky and gaudy with huge silk flower arrm

Room Tip: It rubbish
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay at the hotel. Improvements are being planned to strengthen and increase coverage of the existing free WiFi service which will alleviate current connection inconsistency. Your comments regarding the condition of the bathroom in the 1st bedroom have been passed to the Maintenance department where corrective action will take place. Please accept my apologies once again. Your feedback is important and will be used to improve the facilities and service at the hotel.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I was booked into this hotel by my employer, so had no choice, but looked at the reviews here before going. I was a bit worried by them, but thought "can a hotel really be this badly run? Hot water is a basic requirement surely?" Believe the reviews. My room was cold, draughty, stank of damp mould and even after letting the tap and shower run for 10 minutes the water was ice cold. Dinner was offered in the bar but was one curry dish, no choice. All the admin was done on scraps of paper. The whole place was very unprofessional. The staff were quite nice, but totally out of their depth. It's a terrible shame, as Allesley is beautiful as a place and I think the hotel really lets it down. With competent management this place could be fantastic. If you've been booked in here with no choice, you can get a good meal in a warm, friendly place with good beer by going next door to the The Rainbow pub.

Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Booked by my company, who clearly did not research. I stayed here several years ago and remembered why i had not returned. Its a large hotel and caters for functions but the hotel experience is not one you will get here. Right from the entrance, where its possible to try every other door first, you will have to find staff or ask for assistance - not the other way round. The rooms are variable but there is a common theme, the bathroom area is in terrible condition. I was concerned that the bathroom tiles were to fall off any moment, the mouldy silicone i could just about handle. Breakfast was another oddity, i asked for tea and the response was 'i'll have to find some', the dishes on standby for the hot foot were full of grease and dripping from a previous function! Returning after midnight, you have to phone for the porter. I did not see the bar area open.Thats the weaknesses, on a positive note its cheaper than elsewhere. The locals in the pub next door call it Fawlty Towers, how nice!!!

Room Tip: cross your fingers.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

When we arrived we were expecting a dive after seeing some of the other reviews. On first appearances it all seems rather grand but first impressions were deceptive. The evening staf who checked us in we're a bit surly and not particularly friendly. My colleague was allocated a room that stank and hadn't been cleaned so had to be moved. The rooms are tired, pokey and not in great condition but I have stayed in far worse places. The main problem with this hotel is the customer service we received in the morning: the night before we had checked what time breakfast was served till and were told 9.30. I came down at 9.15 only to find it was all closed. I went to enquire at reception, only to be greeted by an extremely unpleasant woman who basically shouted at me and tried to tell me it was my fault, that no one had been down since 7 so the chef and cleared it all up, and I had to understand. I politely explained this was not my problem and we had even said last night we wouldn't be down till 9.15. The woman was rude, unpleasant, finally agreed to let us have cereal with milk. There was mould on the crappy bread. We had to specifically ask for tea and coffee.
The hotel is tired and not particularly nice but as I say, the real problem was the appalling customer service. I'd steer clear if I was you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Allesley Hotel? Share your experiences!