“Fantastic new year food!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #124 of 427 Restaurants in Coventry
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Fantastic new year food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

To all considering this place for some dinner, the set menu at new year was fantastic. Five courses of great food including a great champagne sorbet and a brownie with loads of chocoloat sauce!! The atmosphere was perfect and the service with the food showed some attentive staff. Well done the Team!! We'll be back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Birmingham
“Veggies Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I recently had the misfortunte of going to a Christmas night out at The Bulls Head. As I do not care for meat particularly I chose the vegetarian option. All six in the party paid the same price for the 3 course meal and, in hindsight, this was my first mistake. I was paying the same price for vegetables as someone having steak.
The first course, parsnip soup, duly arrived luke warm. Enough said.
The main course, mushroom bourguignon, left much to the imagination having approximately one slice of mushroom and mainly consisting of tomatoes with a few bits of veg. This was at least warmer than the soup but the accompanying potato was stone cold. I had to complain about this and was given a fresh bowl which was steaming hot. However, the potato really did not go with the tomato based bourguignon. The roast parsnip accompaniment was so small it was barely visible.
For desert I chose chocolate, caramel & walnut cheesecake. I had worried that this would be a bit rich but I needn't have. With the exception of the chocolate swirls on the top it was tasteless.
The setting of The Bulls Head is lovely but I am afraid I wont be going back, despite being given a £10 off voucher towards a meal for 2 in January.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Coventry
“Good service but average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We visited on Monday night and it was busy which we thought was a good sign. They did find us a table but advised it is better to book. Unlike other reviewers we found the service to be quick and our waiter Guillaume was very good. Unfortunately we felt the food wasn't as good as described on the menu. My other half had the pulled beef and bacon pie. He said the beef was chewy and found no trace of bacon. The crust was cut open to 'showcase' the vegetables which were laid on top of the pie but consequently most of the pastry was glued to the rim of the dish and impossible to eat. I had the skinny lamb burger and whilst it was very nice the salad that accompanied it lacked imagination. As I didn't have the bun or the chips I expected a bit more from the salad than a few leaves from a pre packed bag and 3 quarters of tasteless tomato. We were disappointed as the menu promised more!! Perhaps Monday night isn't the best night to visit or perhaps they were focused on the Christmas menu. We were given a voucher for £10 off the next visit but I don't think we will be using it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Traditional Charm ..relaxed settings and good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have been to the Bulls Head on numerous occasions. It has a warm and friendly atmosphere ..cosy sofas and log fires.. The food is excellent from what I have sampled and the service id vry good .Staff are always helpful

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Doncaster, England
“Great food but highly priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

We went as a party of 11 for a pre-Christmas get together. The restaurant was full but this did not make the service slow. The food was great and everyone enjoyed their dishes. The only complaints would be that the table was squeezed right up to the back wall so to get into the middle seats you had to shuffle across the other chairs, plus the food prices are quite high.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere