“Nothing to recommend it.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 427 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Stresa restaurant and bar at Ramada Hotel & Suites Coventry offers a contemporary British & Pan European inspired restaurant and is the place in Coventry to experience an authentic and modern dining experience. We are very proud that the restaurant has been awarded a Gold 2 Star Sustainability award in 2014. Stresa Restaurant is the perfect stop for a quick lunch or leisurely meal. Whether you are having an intimate meal for two, entertaining clients, enjoying a meal with your family, or throwing a party. Stresa is the perfect venue and offers the perfect setting anytime of the day or night.
coventry
“Nothing to recommend it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were a group of nine and were all looking forward to trying Stresa. On the plus side the staff are quite friendly (when you can find them) - one waitress and one waiter for bar and food serving so not their fault, it's a staffing issue.

The food wasn't awful, it just wasn't very good: I had spicy king prawns (all 3 of them) that were only spicy because they had chopped red chilli dropped on the top, so for £7.50 doesn't cut it. My wife had a trio of goats cheese, which she enjoyed, but each parcel was little bigger than marble sized - £6.50 if I remember correctly. Various main courses included venison meat balls, gnocchi, and my own steak which was very average: slightly overdone with an unremarkable sauce - £21 I think. The beer is expensive without being ridiculous and so too the wine, however, not one person at the table thought their meal 'great' and none said they would return, which was a first for our group.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Mark H, Manager at Stresa Kitchen - Coventry, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear mozwold

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Stresa and please accept my apologies it has taken some time for us to respond.

I am sorry to hear that you and your party were unhappy with your experience with us. At the beginning of the year we made the decision to reinvent our brand and became Stresa Kitchen. Over the past 2 months we have been working on our offering and constantly adapting based on the valuable feedback of our customers.

I would like to assure you that all your above comments have been taken very seriously within the team and we have revisited the dishes you mentioned to ensure our flavours, portion sizes and execution is of the standard we have been known for in the past.

As for pricing we try to remain competitive to the local market and strive to serve the best quality products at all times.

I’m sorry you feel you could not visit us again but if we do have the opportunity to redeem ourselves please do not hesitate to contact myself direct and I will make all the necessary arrangements

Kind regards

Mark Hills
Operations Manager

Coventry - UK
“Gone downhill - what a shame!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Have ate here several times before with my partner and friends, as we live locally, and usually am the first to recommend the place to everyone. No longer Im afraid after last nights experience! Arrived with my partner and ordered a pizza bread to start with, along with a large glass of red wine and a pint of cider. The pizza only took 10 mins to arrive, and was distinctly average - in the past these have been delicious. So not the best of starts. For main my partner ordered a gnocchi dish, and I asked for sea bass. The gnocchi was fine - not amazing or terrible. However my sea bass (fillet) was full of bones, and the sauce that the linguine was in was really bland. There was only one waitress on, which was all that was needed as there was hardly any diners in, however I had to wait over 5 minutes to catch her eye and explain that my dish was inedible. She was extremely apologetic, and asked me to choose something else from the menu - so I asked for the belly pork dish instead. She came back from the kitchen and said I would have to wait 15 or 20 mins which I wasnt happy about but understood that they cook it from fresh. I also told her that my partners dish was missing the parmesan crisp it was supposed to come with. By this time my partner had finished his meal, and we both then had to sit and wait for my food to come, which also meant ordering another round of drinks (that we wouldnt have normally done). My food came back, along with a solitary parmesan crisp on a small plate - wasnt sure if this was the chef being sarcastic as it wasn't much use at this point! My belly pork was nice, as was the jus, however it was supposed to be accompanied with a lemon and thyme risotto wrapped in cabbage, what I got was some plain sticky rice in cabbage. As we were late meeting up with friends by this point I decided not to bother saying anything, ate what I could and asked for the bill. When it came, I was disappointed to see they hadn't even knocked anything off the bill for the inconvenience or poor experience we had had. I mentioned this to the waitress who had to go and speak to a manager....who had to go and speak to another manager, and after waiting a further 10 minutes he came over to me and had knocked a rather pathetic 10% off the bill - a whole £4.80. We paid and left. I would have expected at least our extra round of drinks on the house, if not, both that and my meal by way of apology. It was embarrassing to have to ask for a discount in the first place. We were nearly an hour late meeting our friends and hadnt even got to eat what was very average food together!

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Mark H, Manager at Stresa Kitchen - Coventry, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear DebsCoventry

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise for the experience you received on your recent visit to Stresa Restaurant. As you are aware this is not a level of service we usually strive to deliver and i can assure you this situation will be reviewed immediately with both my restaurant and kitchen teams to ensure such an incident dose not reoccur.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience direct and in some way compensate to restore faith in the restaurant and team

Please feel free to contact me direct on 02476 238110 or mhills@ramadacoventry.co.uk

Kind regards
Mark Hills
Food & Beverage Operations Manager
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This was one of the nicest meals I have had the food was outstanding and the service supreme, will definitely go back

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Brenda L

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review for Stresa. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us and will ensure you comments are fed back to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon

Mark H & The Stresa Team
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Lovely food!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Lovely locally sourced food. Would highly recommend this if your staying at the hotel or to travel to if you live in the local area.

Visited December 2013
Dear Katie

I'm so glad you enjoyed our food. We are passionate about our local produce and supporting our home grown producers

We hope to see you again soon

Mark H & The Stresa Tea
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Quality and Quantity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I visited this restaurant last night with my girlfriend prior to going to the Belgrade to watch a show. The staff were very helpful and friendly, they even let me select my own steak. I had rib-eye and my girlfriend the lamb rump. We both agreed that this was the best lamb rump we had ever tried, it was simply delicious. My steak was very tasty too, thus I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant to any who have never visited.

We used the TasteCard, this entitled us to 50% off food which made this meal good value.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mark H, Manager at Stresa Kitchen - Coventry, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Craig M

Thank you for your kind comments and I am glad you enjoyed our ‘Grills Night’ which we have every Tuesday.

All our beef is from 19Gales Farm in Atherstone and is delivered fresh every day. We will be launching our new winter menu in the next few weeks, so hope to see you again soon.

Mark H & The Stresa Team