“Good value and location. Some improvements to rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Ibis Coventry Centre
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mile Lane, Coventry CV1 2LN, England   |
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good value and location. Some improvements to rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Walking distance from railway station to hotel but have to use subway to get there (we managed to drag our bags there!). Front office staff were busy but efficient and no problems with check in. Encountered some hiccups with the key card (became invalid each day), phone not working but we didn't need to use it as reception was just a flight of steps down, toilet lever wasn't working and we had to use the toilet downstairs for one day as the mechanic wasn't available to fix it. Think the problem was peculiar to our room. However, overall experience was average, front office staff were helpful and did their utmost to help.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your comments with the team. Our maintenance engineer has now fixed the problems relating to the toilet flush and telephone socket. Please, accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience encountered. I would also like to apologise for the room card being deactivated. May I just kindly note that the room card strip may sometimes get deactivated when placed next to electronic device such as mobile phone. I would like to thank you for your positive review. We hope to welcome you back soon. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

The fact that this Ibis is significantly higher in the rankings of hotels in Coventry than the other one is probably down to the diligence of the manager. She can be observed checking and helping most of the time.

Some of our party had a smelly and/or noisy room, although I was lucky. Recommend asking to not be on the road side if you are a light sleeper. Everyone agreed that the beds are really comfortable. Bathrooms are the usual pod style for these hotels but are functional and the shower is good.

The iron in the communal ironing room has seen much better days and best avoided if possible.

The biggest problem for the hotel is that having just 3 people doing check in, bar, waiting on and kitchen means that service is well intentioned but sometimes poor. The guys are effectively trying to provide service for two hotels given that facilities are shared with the adjacent Formula 1. We had to wait for over an hour for our meals and observed other people sending back food because it was still frozen in the middle. Recommend eating out.

• Stayed September 2012
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
I would like to thank you for submitting your review. I am pleased to see that you appreciate the efforts made on a daily basis in order to ensure good customer service. At the same time, I would like to thank you also for your negative feedback. We are now taking actions addressing the issues you have reported. Please, feel free to e-mail me on h2793-gm@accor.com if you wish to discuss the delay in restaurant service. I would also like to offer you complimentary dinner during your next stay or- if you prefer, discount on the room rate. I am sure that your next stay will be completely hassle-free. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

A good central location and easy walking to the town centre. Room clean and tidy and larger than some French Ibis's we've visited. Breakfast of good standard too. The telelvision did not work on some of the stations but that did not affect us. Use of a topper on the bed made the usual hard beds more tolerable. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive review. I am glad that you found our beds comfortable. In fact, I am glad to inform you that we are replacing beds in all our ibis hotels as a part of New Sweet Ibis Bed roll out aiming at ultimate comfort provided to our guests. We hope to welcome you back in Coventry soon. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We purchased a groupon deal for a nights stay including 3 course meal and breakfast. Upon arrival the reception area wa noticibly cold. We checked in and went up to our room.

As soon as we for into the room, again, we noticed a chill in the air and so attempted to switch on the heating. This did not appear to work and so we contacted reception. We were told that the hotel does not allow the heating to come on until mid October and of we were cold they would bring us a plug in blow heater. This was duly brought up to the room and plugged in. The blow heater did not blow. There was barely any air coming out of it but we were told this is all they could provide.

Whilst weighing up whether we should stay or not we looked at the menu. We decided on the three courses we wanted and contacted reception to see if the food could be brought to the room. We were told they did not offer room service and were then asked if we had been provided with the "groupon menu".

We stated we had not and asked if we could choose from the main menu and pay the difference. We were told that the manager was not there that night an so our request could not be authorised. Due to the poor choice on the groupon menu and the room lacking such basic amenities as heating we informed the receptionist we would be checking out.

We were then offered a drink on the house and asked if we wished to speak to the assistant manager. We declined and left.

This hotel is fine for an overnight stay if you simply need somewhere to lay your head. It is basic no frills and definiately a 2 * at best.

We checked into the ramada coventry city centre and were very glad we didn't stick it out at the ibis. It's likely we would have caught pnemonia if we had.

The ramada's room and food was an excellent standard.

Dont waste your time with this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your time to write a review. I am sorry that the heater provided to you by reception did not heat up the room efficiently enough. Please note that in the hotel air cooling/heating system located on the bathroom wall in each bedroom is regulated centrally. If the temperature outside is below 18 degrees the system is switched onto heating mode and if the temperature is above 18, it automatically goes onto cooling mode. I am sorry that you found the room temperature too low. I believe this is a standard temperature set up in most centrally regulated heating systems. However, I will raise your concenrs with the service provider. I am also sorry that you refused to speak to hotel Assistant Manager and that he was not asked straightaway to attend your request in regards to non-Groupon menu. Due to very attractive price offered via Groupon vouchers, there is a special menu arranged for our guests as per the terms and conditions of the deal. I am glad to see that the receptionist offered you complimentary drinks as a gesture of goodwill. At the same time, please note that as vast majority of budget hotels in UK, Ibis in general does not offer room service.
I would like to thank you for your comments. Please, rest re assured that they will be followed up with relevant hotel departments. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.
Mansfield, Notts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here prior to a meeting. Easy to find from the railway station. When I checked in there were two members of staff at the reception / bar both dealing with check ins which meant no-one was serving at the bar to the chagrin of someone who made a point of asking in rather a loud voice whether or not he was being ignored. Atfer checking in and dropping my bag in my room (usual Ibis standard so fine), I went back down for something to eat. There was someone checking in have a major complain about having to pay for parking and he ended up asking for his money back and leaving. I thougt the staff dealt with him well but this was then exacerbated by someone else complaining about being charged for breakfasts!

My meal was fine, service was friendly but I did feel that the staff were expected to do too much multi-tasking.

My room faced the main road and glazing was not that good so it was noisy but for one night I could cope. All in all, I would stay here again but only because of the proximity to the station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am glad that you appreciate the efforts made by our team. Although we always try to deal with all guests enquiries as soon as we can, it may sometimes happen that there is a slight delay. As you kindly noticed the staff were trying to deal with all the requests in a professional manner. I have shared your feedback with the team and can confirm that measures have been taken in order to avoid any delays in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.
Chorley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel itself deserves a rating of 5, as it was extremely clean, modern and the rooms were a reasonable size. The reason I have only rated it a 3 is more to do with the service.

Whilst all reception staff were very friendly and polite, none of them seemed to know exactly what they were doing.

We had a deal from the groupon website which entitled us to 2 nights stay, a free 3 course meal on the first night and buffet breakfast both mornings. When we handed in the voucher the young girl at the desk was unsure what to do with it (although this had all been confirmed by email at the time of booking). She then found help from another male member of staff and they got us checked in. We found this process a little uncomfortable as we wern't sure we would be checked in at all.
Later that evening we asked for more milk for our room, to which the manager offered to bring us some up. After about an hour, still no milk so we went down for our meal were we had to explain again that this was included in our booking. We also again for the milk this time to a younger male at reception. He said sorry we have none and that was that.
The following morning we went down for our buffet breakfast where we had to explain AGAIN that this was included in our booking as the staff kept confusing us for guests at the Formule 1 hotel opposite.However we did bump into a cleaner who gave us some milk with no problems and she didn't even speak english!!

Overall the food was reasonable with plenty of choice and the hotel was well kept and cleaned to a high standard but the overall service was poor, although this is nothing personal to any member of staff as they remained freindly at all times.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Cristine, thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you noted we should be rated 5 star! At the same time I am sorry that there was a slight delay at your check-in. I have followed up on the issues you reported and can confirm that you were checked in by a trainee receptionist and relief duty manager dealt with your enquiry about milk. I am sorry that you had to ask Room Attendant for milk. Please, rest re assured that the training plan is being strictly followed up on. I am sure that shall you stay with us again, your check-in will be very efficient and you will be able to enjoy hassle-free stay. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel has only sites parking, so there is no messing around with finding a car park close by. Parking isn't free and it would of been nice if that information was made more explicit on the website but it was an extremely reasonable rate compared to parking in an external car park.

Checking in was slightly uncomfortable, as I didn't quite know where the bar ended and the reception desk begun. There were three members of staff on duty, and although they were polite and welcoming, there was a slight air of not really knowing what to do to find my reservation.

Taking the lift to my room was easy, but the thudding sounds the lift made is slightly disturbing. The room was typically Ibis with an air conditioning type unit over the door, pod like bathroom and large firm bed. The Shower in the bathroom is lovely and powerful which made taking a shower very invigorating.

There isn't much to write about when it comes to describing the facilities in the room, as most Ibis hotels built in the last 10 or so years look pretty much the same. However, the room and hotel is showing its age and could benefit from a bit off a makeover.

Entering and leaving the hotel has a odd feeling, as you have to walk past diners, so if you are uncomfortable about guests hanging around behind you while you are having a meal, I would suggest finding a table that is furthest away from reception as possible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and particularly enjoyed our large shower. My team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. I would like to mention that the information about car parking is on the main page of hotel description on our website. We look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.

Been to Ibis Coventry Centre? Share your experiences!