“Xmas markets weekend trip” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Britannia Hotel Coventry

You added Britannia Hotel Coventry to your Saves list
Britannia Hotel Coventry
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fairfax St | Cathedral Square, Coventry CV1 5RP, England   |
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
devon,
“Xmas markets weekend trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on the weekend of 22nd Nov with a group of 12 friends as part of a Majestic tour.. I read these reviews on here and was apprehensive to say the least, but thought we would make the best of it. I have to say the hotel was not as bad as i expected, our rooms were on the 3rd floor, and were adequate, clean and roomy. We had a full size kettle with tea and coffee, a proper hairdryer and trouser press, and a tv. The bathroom was clean and the shower hot. The food was fine, the service was hectic especially the friday evening, the breakfast was fine too. We couldnt take advantage of the Happy 3 hrs in the bar, as there was nowhere to sit, but we didnt mind as there was a Sainsburys next door, so we stocked up and had drinks in our room. Our whole trip including coach travel, bed, breakfast and evenng meal for 2 nights was only £79 and I would say we have excellant value for money. I travel alot and am used to staying in 5 star resorts and hotels, and whilst this hotel is definately not 5 star it is more than adequate for a weekend stay as part of a package.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Turkish first
england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

stayed one night thank god for a xmas Meal, rooms filthy, corridors and lift areas dirty , carpets stained, pungent smell through-out the whole hotel. Food was awful , strange males hanging around the hotel entrance very shady and unsafe. Never again , this hotel needs a full revamp and in my opinion should be closed.

Room Tip: Do not book look elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Piddle encrusted loo. Cracked wash basin with things growing in it. Gurgly plumbing torn frayed grubby wallpaper. The only good thing about this place is the reviews on trip advisor.

Just because we signed on for a coach trip does not mean we are cretins who deserve rude service in filthy surroundings

• Stayed November 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Having stayed in this hotel previously a few years ago, we booked this hotel for the evening of my partner's graduation ceremony. The reception its self was well presented, clean and tidy. However, this did not continue through to the rooms, corridors and lift areas - which were all in need of a thorough modernisation and better house keeping.

We were quick at being booked in and there were no issues in this. It was only when returned later in the evening, we found that we could not actually get into our room with our key card. Returning to the reception, we then had to wait a fair bit of time in a large queue that had formed. I give credit to the poor colleague that was behind the desk and nobody else came to help him , it was made evident that due to a "problem with central reservations" the hotel had been overbooked - resulting in customers that arrived much later were subjected to a "first-come-first-serve" system, in which they were fobbed off with a room in a different room in a different hotel (miles outside the city centre), but it was made clear that the hotel would pay for the taxi too and from the other hotel.

When we were eventually seen to,and two further trips up and down to the reception, we ended up having to be let into the room by using the master key card, as the lock on the door required new batteries. After this drama, we felt pretty trapped in the room and decided to stay in.

After an uncomfortable nights sleep (due to a hard mattress, thin walls and traffic noise),we were eager to check out. When we arrived at the reception, the drama of the over booking continued as the new shift staff members argued with customers that they would in fact not be paying for the taxi journeys, which had been promised the evening before. The staff seemed clueless as to why people were getting upset that they'd had to pay extra for a taxi back to the same place they needed to be !!

The overall attitude of the staff pretty much summed up the whole of our stay - ineffective, clueless and disjointed. They were quite rude to the customers that had booked the hotel due to the proximity to the cathedral for the graduation ceremonies - not very fair on those who had travelled from the middle east for the celebrations.

We made our decision there and then that we would not be returning - maybe when the hotel starts acting like one, the reviews might start changing .

Four Marks, Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Despite booking a double non-smoking double room in advance I was given a dirty, smelly twin smoking room, because there were no spares. Staff were grumpy and unhelpful to say the least and the food in the restaurant (which was empty despite the hotel being full!!) left a lot to be desired. The tariff in the reception shows £200 for a double room which gives the impression of a quality hotel – which this just isn’t.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We booked this hotel purely for location and (regrettably) didn't look at these reviews.
We were only staying for 1 night but didn't even do that!
When we entered the reception we thought it looked a bit dated but once we were given our key the experience began.
As we traveled up in their lift another person mentioned reports of bed bugs and that they had to change rooms!
We went to open our door then all of a sudden a member staff stopped us and he entered the room and closed the door on us. He was in there for a few minutes and discovered it was already occupied. He came out and offered us another room 732. We went in and it looked like a murder scene! Stained carpet, ripped wallpaper, a stench of cigarettes and a bed from the 1950's. Absolutely disgusting! The member of staff agreed and offered us a free drink whilst he arranged another room. We declined as I already had the idea that we were not staying here another minute. Luckily my signal was good on my phone and I got the number for a travel lodge 10 minutes down the road which we got the last room! Thank God for Travel Lodge and Britannia Hotels can go to hell! The worst hotel I have ever entered! Basil Faulty wouldn't even work there!!! Oh and in the mean time I am currently trying to get my money back which is proving fruitless as the manager of this hotel does NOT return my calls! What a Joke

Room Tip: Go to a Travel Lodge!!! Or the Hilton :)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I arrived at this hotel yesterday after a last minute booking through myfidelio site. The offer appeared to be 'too good to be true' and sadly it was!

I booked the wine, bed and breakfast deal for £55.50 for two. The photos were of a completely different hotel and the room I was allocated left everything to be desired. Tired is inadequate to describe the accommodation. The second too , upgraded... To executive room complete with spa bath didn't prove any better. The pump on the bath was 'on order', the standard lamp had the wrong plug so was uses less and the tv needed retuning.

I spoke to the duty manager, lisa, and expressed my disappointment and she kindly , effectively and efficiently sourced alternative accommodation at the sister hotel in Coventry, the Royal Court.
What can I say.... Felt like I had arrived in the Maldives! Room was all I expected complete with spa. The meal and wine were acceptable. Whilst not expecting cordon bleu,haute cuisine I was slightly disappointed it was a carvery.

All,in all it worked out well and whilst disappointed with the first I cannot complain about the swift , polite and efficient service I received from the staff.

The ratings are for the Royal Court not the former city centre hotel

Thank you Lisa. You rescued the day!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Britannia Hotel Coventry? Share your experiences!