“Low-budget hotel but good restaurant” 2 of 5 stars

Hylands Hotel
153 Warwick Road, Coventry CU3 6AU, England   |
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Low-budget hotel but good restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have stayed at the Hylands twice, and it is a very low-budget hotel. Peeling wallpaper, some mould in the bathroom, a lot of noise all night from the next room (arguments or something else...). I was also extremely disappointed that there was no hot water on my second stay! The staff were polite, but disinterested. The hotel regularly offers the lowest room rates in Coventry, and to an extent you get what you pay for, but I think I'll pay a bit more in future and go elsewhere.

However, going into the restaurant attached to the hotel is like entering a different world. The Jeera Indian Restaurant is very clean, smart, and modern looking, and seems to have been refurbished recently. I really enjoyed the food: it's a fairly conventional indian menu, delicious, not too oily. The paratha I tried had a nice flaky texture, the house wine was fine, the whole meal was very tasty. Service was very polite and attentive. I would put this high up on my list of favourite Indian restaurants! The only drawback is that it was almost empty, so the atmosphere was a bit strange. I would encourage people to give it a try, it deserves more customers. I hope to return to Jeera, but I'll be avoiding the hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

booked in for 2 nights, staff were apathetic at best, room was dirty, mouldy tiles in bathroom, no sink plug, no rail for coathangers in wardrobe, no coathangers, no hot water at all on mng of departure, when told of this staff said very sorry cannot get an engineer out today !!!! unbelievable !!!! ants crawling on bar top, outside of building a shabby disgrace, all in all disgusting , please avoid staying here.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The service provided from booking, communication and arriving was great. Initially walking in is a really nice hotel foyer, reception, bar/lounge area and there is car parking at the front. Going upstairs to our room the stairs and hallways all ok. There were tea making facilities, tv , towels and the bedding very clean. We entered our room and were a bit disappointed as there was heavy mould above window, ensuite a bit tatty, cob webs hanging from ceiling and just needed decor freshening up. Apart from that the hotel was nice, in a handy location for Coventry and very reasonably priced. People staying there instead of using bin to put cigarette ends throw them on floor and gravel by entrance, it doesn't look very nice and could benefit by being cleaned up.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was booked in here via a work commitment. When I relayed what the hotel was like, I think it's fair to say they won't be booking anyone else there!
General appearance of everything was shabby to say the least. Walking through the foyer and up the stairs (watch you don't trip on raised stair/carpet rods) which could have done with a good hoovering, I was nervously intrigued to see what the room would be like. It matched my sinking expectations!
First impression was that is smellt of stale cigarettes, curry and a hint of body odour...nice! I immediately opened the windows. Second impression was the decor...I didn't know that sellotape was a recommended means of attaching wallpaper to walls?! (Btw, it doesn't work as the paper was hanging off and bulging precariously in places!)
The bedlinen was actually very crisp and clean, so at least I didn't feel too scared to sleep in it. Bathroom was very past its best, but was also clean.
Based on the other reviews I've read, I'm now heartily glad that breakfast had not been booked for me and I could just quietly eat my own fruit and crispbread, etc which I'd brought.
As a musician, I've stayed in lots of small hotels and B&Bs which operate on a budget, but I've never stayed in a place where I actually thought, "I bet most of their business is just rooms being booked an hour at a time!!!"
Avoid this place like the plague, no matter how cheap it is, it is truly dreadful!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My work booked me in here April 2013 for one night, thank God!! I filmed my 3 star accommodation for all to see on Youtube at http://youtu.be/Rzh6G-JfV70 - check it
out for yourselves - It's nothing like their website!!
When I arriveD the staff were ignorant, the only word spoken to me was Room 38 as I was handed my key. I went to my room first, which I had huge problems finding owing to the maze of badly signed, filthy corridors (must be a fire hazard!)
On entering my room, I was hit by an aroma that smelt like stale urine, sweat, damp and pub toilet, it was I quite overwhelming - I suffer from asthma, and I was having terrible difficulty breathing because of the smell and the amount of dust that coated everything. I opened the window to try to freshen the room up, which had no latching mechanism (not good for toddlers or children). As you would see from the video on youtube (type in 'worst hotel I've ever stayed in Hylands Hotel, Coventry') I then set about making a video record of the appauling, unsanitary condition of the room, so I can let my firm know.
Bedroom - old fashioned linen, no duvet, one bottom sheet and an itchy blanket, no mattress protector, mattress very old with bad dip in middle and it was all stained and smelt - I slept on top of the bed on a towel I had bought with me from home, and slept in my clothes.
Tea making facilities were there, but there was no kettle provided and the cups were stained. The wardrobe had mould inside, which I assume was coming from the toilet they were replacing at 1am onwards in the room next door. The TV had no remote control and therefore couldn't even be turned on.
The bathroom, where do you start?? As you can see from the video, bad mould on the ceiling
(again, not good for my asthma), mould or something around the door frame and door,
no plugs or even sink hole piece present, lino rotted, dangerously lifted in places, with holes in it, panel lifted off the corner of the bath, toilet so stained and dirty there was no way I would
sit on it, tiles missing around mirror and some very sharp edges - very filthy and noisy fan.
The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything, although one doesn't expect building work to start next door at 1am, or to hear the loud cries of ladies of the night doing their business down the corridor. The carpet is badly stained and very worn, wallpaper stained and peeling off in places - it doesn't look like anyone has touched it since the 1970s!! It's just a thoroughly nasty place to have had to have stayed. DEFINITELY not suitable for toddlers and young children due to the hazardous windows, flooring, lights missing shades and bulbs, uplifted lino etc and the adult nature of the prostitutes coming and going. Come to think of it, from a fire and health and safety point of view, this so-called 'Hotel' is hazardous to everyone the stays - DON'T STAY THERE - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fleet
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A group of us stayed at the Hylands "Hotel" for two nights in April 2013. Given we knew we'd not be spending much time in the hotel and we were on a budget we booked in for the rate of £30 per room. It would be fair to say that expectations weren't high and became even lower once we read the reviews on Trip Advisor - but, well, we're a brave (or at least foolish) bunch.

We arrived on a Saturday at lunchtime, and 2 of the 5 rooms were available straight away - the rest would be available later once they'd been cleaned. Fair enough. Or at least it would be if there was a modicum of evidence anywhere that regular cleaning was done at this hotel.

Our room wasn't pretty. Not in the slightest. Everything in the room was caked in dirt - except that is for the celing, which was caked in mould. We're not talking a small patch here, we're talking stuff that has clearly been growing for years. Almost to the point it's so alive you could have a conversation with it to discuss its political viewpoints or last weekend's footie results. The stench of the mould permeated just about everything to the point you could almost chew on it.

The bedding didn't seem clean - and fitted the bed about as well as a suit bought for a young offender's first court appearance. There was no mattress protector, which if anything would be needed to protect guests from whatever those stains on it were.

A towel was provided. A towel, for two of us (quickly rectified by reception) along with toiletries. Ironically, the 'expiry date' on them was the exact same date we arrived. The bathroom was, on first look, clean. On closer look it wasn't. Hooray for hairs on the bath etc - and more mould on the shower curtain. Yummy.

Tea and coffee making facilities were available, but we (and the rest of our group for that matter) declined to use them as we did wonder what disease we might catch from the mugs etc - some of which had been left upturned an no doubt were caked in dust to enjoy with your tea.

There's some irony in all of this that the room was decorated with photos of when the hotel was a 'Best Western'... if only.

After being out in the City (a 10 minute walk away) we returned to the hotel for an awful night's sleep, not helped by the stench in the room. The following night we were moved on to a second room which was less infested with mould but had a bathroom fan that made so much noise we actually wondered if there was a helipad on the roof. The bathroom clearly hadn't been cleaned - a half full bin sat in the corner, with a dirty white item behind it. Fearing for the worst, I was thankful when it turned out only to be a takeaway wrapper with cheese on it rather than any bodily waste - but wouldn't have been surprised. In the slightest.

Can't comment on the food in the hotel, as at £10 for a Full English breakfast we all decided to head into the centre of town where it could be obtained for much less. The restaurant also provides Indian food in the evening - and proudly displays that it achieved high marks in a hygiene rating. Yes, you read that right.

Others in the group had similar experiences - and can also vouch that sound travels in the hotel given they were treated to audio extravaganza of the bedroom acrobatics of the room next door (actually, given the state of things I wouldn't have been surprised if the active couple had fallen through the wall).

If you need to stay somewhere in Coventry, and on a budget... choose anywhere but here!

Room Tip: A room in a different hotel is far better
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at the Hylands hotel last week,the room i had was ok it had a tv phone and a comfy bed but it took an age to get any hot water and there was no heat coming out of the radiator,i went down for breakfast which i had paid for for two days and was given a choice of Mango juice or apple juice,i had Mango then a choice of tea or coffee followed by 2 toast,there were a few in the room with me and we all waited for the breakfast only to be told that was all we were getting.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor some have portable radiators.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hylands Hotel? Share your experiences!