“Wonderful staff service” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
bedford
“Wonderful staff service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

This is value for money the only down side is the entrance and bar a little tired but the service makes up for this so friendly and helpful. The orangery meeting room is brilliant, light, large and comfortable.
Private dinner in the drawing room was great. Recommend for a business meeting.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Antonio C, General Manager at Macdonald Ansty Hall, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Many thanks for your review. Your comments are very valuable to us as it is feedback such as yours that assists us in constantly reviewing our standards and quality delivery of service, as you have experienced we are passionate on delivering does standardds. I hope you got the benefit of the new free WIFI, now available thorugh out the conferences and bedrooms facilities.We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future, and would like to take this opportunity to Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
witham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I've been staying at the MacDonald Ansty Hall on business for most weeks in November. It really is a pleasant hotel, all the staff are friendly and helpful. A bonus now that free Wi-Fi is available throughout the hotel. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable, just what is needed to relax after a busy day at work. I'm currently booked through to Christmas, and so long as the project I'm working on does not move to another area I will be aiming to stay well into next year.

The food is reasonable, but like all hotels after you have "eaten the menu" a couple of times, you need a change and there is a good pub within walking distance that provides good food at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old house are better as you do not have the "outside walk" to get to the bar...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Martyn D, Thank you for your review, our aim at Macdonald Ansty Hall is to make our guest feel at home, and I am glad we have achieved that during your stay. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. If you fancy something different or cooked different from our menu, please do not hesitate to let us know, if it is available we would be more then happy to oblige. We looking forward to seeing you soon.
Coventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We visited the hotel on a Secret Escapes package which overall was very good value for money and our experience of the hotel was a positive one.

The hotel is situated on the outskirts of Coventry on a hill top location and has pleasant grounds. Unfortunately the hotel is near the intersection of the M6 and M69 and you can faintly hear the traffic noise but this is not a problem when you are inside the hotel. We had a great night's sleep and the beds are very comfortable.

We were met in reception by two members of staff and a roaring log fire! The staff are attentive and create a good first impression.

We stayed in a Classic room which was large enough to accommodate a bed, wardrobe, easy chair and desk without feeling cluttered but unfortunately is in a separate block from the main hotel (a little bit cold when you have to walk into the main building for breakfast and evening meal). The rooms were spotlessly clean. The bathroom was of a good size and contained a bath and separate shower. Unlike the previous reviewer I had no complaints about the shower (it was hot and the water was plentiful) and the towels were soft and bright white.

The food on offer for the evening meal was slightly on the expensive side and the quantities were slightly small, but was well cooked and tasty. The cheeseboard was excellent. Fresh bread was served which was fantastic !(not the pre-bought rolls that are half baked that most hotels tend to serve). We sat by a young family and the children were offered colouring books and a child menu which we thought was a nice touch. The restaurant is rather formal in style and service (which you will either love or hate!)

The breakfast is first class. There is a wide choice of fruit juices, cereals, fresh bread, croissants and pastries as well as the standard cooked breakfast. The black pudding is excellent as are the sausages and bacon and my poached egg was cooked to perfection. A great pot of tea!

I would agree that in winter the rooms could be warmer on arrival. The reason the rooms are not warm are because the heating is controlled by the room key card and if this is not in the slot, the electrics in the room do not work. It would be a nice touch if rooms could be aired when the hotel knows that guests will be arriving in winter. That said, we heated up our room within about 15-20 minutes and we were not cold during the rest of our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Antonio C, General Manager at Macdonald Ansty Hall, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Many thanks for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again, we are in the process of changing the heathers in the bedrooms, which will afford us to welcome our guests in a warm room, especially at this time of the year. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Can I just say - great food and great bar - however let's talk about the room! Very cold in November. Those electric heaters just don't feed the warmth to the room. That includes no heat in the bathroom too! Great shower but the towels were definitely eco-recycled and stained - to-boot! That's in the rooms outside the main hotel by the way. Hotel staff were very attentive however and they have just changed to Wi-Fi Cloud and do not provide clear instructions plus advocate that its only available in the main 'hotel'. My colleagues experienced not so good shower-power but overall a great Midlands stop over. Catch the B-Road first !!!!

Room Tip: Pot Luck - I would try the main hotel especially this time of year!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your Review, Your comments are very valuable to us as it is feedback such as yours that assists us in constantly reviewing our standards and quality delivery of service, to our guests.The Wi fi is now available through out the hotel, and an user guide is left in the bedrooms. I have asked my House Keeper to investigate the towel issue, we have just changed over linen supplier, and Macdonald Hotels, is passionate and proud of the quality of our amenities.I have also asked my maintainance manager to investigate and fix the issue with the heating. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was looking for a nice place somewhere in the Midlands for a romantic night away and this hotel came up on Secret Escapes. On arrival, I was met by a lovely lady on reception who checked me in. I then went to the bar to wait for the other half and met another nice member of staff behind the bar, an ex PTI who was happy to shoot the breeze with me while I waited. So far, so good!

The room we were booked into was perfect and just what I hoped for, a lovely size, clean and tidy... Or so I thought... After half an hour, my sense of smell was picking up something vaguely resembling vomit and on closer inspection, it appeared to emanate from the carpet. I had just ordered room service and the nice chap from the bar delivered it to us, but he also commented on the smell. We were then moved to another, equally as nice room, but without the stench without any fuss at all.

After dolling up for dinner (we had reserved a table) we made our way to the restaurant. The décor was lovely and in keeping with the hotel and the service brilliant. However, what let it down was the fact that there was a wedding also on which meant our food got delayed, delayed and delayed some more to the point I was practically eating the napkins while drinking myself silly as I had no food in me! When the food eventually arrived, it was great, but I had passed the point of starvation by then and didn't really fancy it.

After a greats nights kip, we woke and were looking forward to our breakfast in bed. Again we waited, and waited, and waited. I rang reception and was told it was on its way, several times to no avail. In the end, I had to get dressed and march across to the main part of the hotel to find out where it was, that was not my idea of a leisurely breakfast!

The food when it did arrive tasted like it had been sat on the hot plate for half an hour and didn't taste nice at all. Checking out went smoothly after I had managed to complain to the manageress (another lovely lady) about the room, the service and the food. She knocked us some money off the bill so I didn't grumble, but even she pointed out that the reason service was slow is because they were understaffed. I can well believe that because up until the poor show, I was very impressed with the hotel.

So, a note to the head of the chain, get some more staff in your hotel and experiences like this won't happen again! Recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that in general you enjoyed your stay.Your comments are very valuable to us as it is feedback such as yours that assists us in constantly reviewing our standards and quality delivery of service, to our guests. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the future.
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Attended a Ruby wedding anniversary, so meal only. Staff were courteous on arrival and drinks we were served promptly in the reception room before we were invited through for the main meal. I had the prawn cocktail starter followed by the Roast beef and finished off with Lemon tart. All excellent. The only picky thing was the Yorkshire pudding which was too crisp but maybe that's a personal preference as I can't remember the last time anywhere matched my wife's. The staff made a fuss of the Couple we were celebrating with and the whole evening zipped by most pleasantly

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care, especially for those milestone in life, such as a Ruby Wedding, we look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.
derbyshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Nice looking from the outside, car park a little rough (hard-core with rotten timber markers) and all the disclaimers a little worrying!

Open the only front door and wham straight into a wedding, no room unoccupied on the ground floor, made my way uneasily through to the worn reception desk and checked in .
Decided to pay cash as previous trip advisor accounts stated £3 card charge, plus £1 charity donation, nothing wrong with charity but I like to decide when and where.

That will be £131.00 please, before even seeing the room! decided to avoid discussion amongst my new tightly packed wedding friends and pay up. I then enquired if booking breakfast was possible as late rooms reservation was room only, certainly sir, just another £50! For two adults and two cereal eating young children? Struck me as being a tad expensive to say the least. Enquired after doing a deal to be told you have booked through late rooms so its "company policy".

Room 17 nice, and cleanish. Bathroom a bit tired and dirty (see photos) but was the best available on late rooms and in the main house not the 'go outside and turn left annexe'.

Came back down to the bar , ordered a pint of Amstel , £4.10 and put on room tab, went back twenty mins later and re-ordered to be told no card pre-auth and therefore no tab, I pointed at the empty glass and enquired after who had paid for that one then ?. Then went onto my tab?

Bit embarrassing, but know where near as embarrassing as dinner!

The family arrived at tea time, wedding in full swing. I felt sorry for the happy couple and guests with clearly not invited hotel residents 'gate-crashing' their big day. Surely some kind of warning/provision should have been made to all parties?
Drinks with the wedding party sat in the 'communal lounge' followed, declining the offers of canapés from waiters assuming we were at the wedding, we ordered from the pricey menu, a few minutes later the waiter re appears and asks that I settle the bill for Dinner !!!

Embarrassed in front of family, wedding guests and onlookers alike I went through to a slightly less crowded reception desk to point out that not only had I not eaten or indeed even being seated in the restaurant but had it escaped them that I was a resident of the Hotel, clearly stopping the night and already handed over £131.00 in cash. The response, "company policy"!!

These words echoed throughout our stay.

I had to hand over a card to enable our dinner order to proceed.

Waking next morning after what only can be described as the worst night’s sleep we discovered that our king size 'zip and link' two single beds had a good and a bad mattress, mine nearest the door and bathroom had clearly not stood the test of time as had a most uncomfortable dip just to the left of centre.

Jumping into the shower, plenty of hot water and a well used bar of soap left by the previous occupant., see photo!

Next morning the polite but powerless duty manager offered 20% off the bill, I enquired after the general manager to be told it was his day off. On the busiest check out of the week? I paid a further £103.00 , Just over £234.00 in total with no breakfasts.

Having left the duty manager in no doubt as to my level of dissatisfaction we checked out and took the kids to McDonalds for breakfast.

I delayed posting this account to enable the General Manager to respond to my concerns, no response received.

The good stuff, restaurant staff fantastic, food quality pretty good , bar staff warm and engaging.

In conclusion- 'Company policy' needs urgent review.

Room Tip: Main House , if you have too !
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Antonio C, General Manager at Macdonald Ansty Hall, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I would firstly like to thank you for your very positive comments regarding the staff, quality of food and standard of accommodation. However, I was most concerned to read your further comments and would like to confirm that an immediate e-mail of reply was sent at 12.32 on Monday 11th November.

In line with hospitality industry practice, in the case of a guest wishing to settle an account in cash or by debit card, a credit card would be requested to be placed on the system only. We are happy to accept the preferred method of payment at check-out with no charge made to the credit card.

I would also like to confirm that the nibbles served in the lounge are served as a Macdonald Core Standard when evening drinks are ordered and were not canapés from the wedding.

Passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Ansty Hall again in the future.

Been to Macdonald Ansty Hall? Share your experiences!