“Very quirky and unusual hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Coombe Abbey Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Brinklow Rd | Binley, Coventry CV3 2AB, England   |
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Dublin, Ireland
“Very quirky and unusual hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I love the atmosphere in this hotel, which starts from the minute you pull up and walk over the moat to the court yard. The hotel reception and bar/restaurant are extremely quirky and give the feel that you have stepped back in time. The food was amazing, a bit pricey though.

Unfortunately I was placed in the abbey gate, a new part to the hotel, which just doesn't have the same feel as the main hotel although it still was an extremely lovely room.

We got a very good rate through booking.com, and it was worth every penny.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I treated ourselves to a night at coombe abbey as an early valentines day treat. We went on 13th Feb and as soon as we arrived the beautiful moat, sweeping staircase, and candlelit areas really set the mood. Its a large hotel so easy to get lost but theres so many ornaments and statues etc to see it makes it worth it. We stayed in room 140 which had a gorgeous feature 4 poster bed and views over the moat, but the really wow factor was a hidden suprise. When u pushed the bookcase it opened up to a hidden bathroom with a gorgeous corner bath making the room feel almost magical - def recommend the room.
We had dinner in the restaurant which although was nicely decorated it did feel fairly busy and crowded. We opted for soup followed by beef and a chocolate dessert. The meal was beautifully presented and tasted nice tho i would have expected some more exciting choices and more interesting desserts for such a place so that was a slight let down but service was good and we were served promptly.
After dinner we went for a moonlit walk around the grounds and in front of the beautifully lit abbey fountain on the bridge of the moat my boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed! A truly magical and fairytale moment! An experience we will certainally never forget :)

Room Tip: Room 140 has a beautiful feature four poster bed with views over the moat and front off abbey/ fount...
Widnes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The hotel is slightly careworn but that only adds to the attraction in my opinion. The staff were friendly and professional. The breakfast was excellent. The grounds and surrounding wooded areas were stunning and worth the visit alone. We intend to return for the Firework gala in November.

Markfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I booked the Murder in the Blackout, murder mystery dinner as a Christmas present for my partner. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised by the surroundings of the hotel but little did we know we would be moving the Abbey Gate building which was not nearly as nice as the main hotel. First of all we were packed in to a bar area which was very dimly lit where we had to wait for the start of the event. We purchased 2 drinks and were really shocked at the price £4.00 for a pint of syrup pepsi really took the mick and £4.75 for Mangers Pear which was kind of ok considering it was a hotel. When we went through to the hall for the meal we were sat on long benches which were extremely close together which meant that you couldn't get out if you need the toilet without disturbing 3 guests to your left or right. The acting wasn't too bad and there were a few laughs and the meal was ok as well although the croutons in the soup were rather oily. The only impressive thing was the number of guests who had taken the time to get dressed up for the event.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Good afternoon & many thanks for taking the time to post a review, following your visit here to Coombe Abbey in December.
Please accept my apologies if you felt that The Murder Mystery event that you attended did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that your comments have been noted and will be discussed with the team here at the hotel, so as to ensure standards & expectations are maintained.

Kind regards

Ron Terry
Coombe Abbey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I have been to a couple of times to coombe abbey for afternoon tea. We have always had a nice time but last time I found the finger sandwiches were dry. Like they were prepared either the night before or early morning. We put that down to a bad day as we have always enjoyed it before.
Then my now fiancé proposed, and obviously coombe was my first choice, as it is such a beautiful building. So I called and left a message with a very nice and help full receptionist. Who told me a wedding co-ordinator would get back to me. Great.
After waiting about 2 weeks and no one getting back to me I called again. Left another message. Still no one got back to me.
I felt very let down as this was my first venue choice. But now after a lot of thought we are going to get married somewhere else, as still no one has got back to us. We feel that we couldn't trust them to hold our special day. And if anything went wrong we would have regretted it and trusted our first instincts.
Such a shame.

Stayed November 2013
Good afternoon and many thanks for writing a review following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my sincere apologies if you felt the finger sandwiches in your afternoon tea were a little dry.
I would obviously also like to express my personal apologies, for the unacceptable level of customer service that you received, regarding your call as a prospective future bride. Absolutely no excuse can be made for this. Whilst I appreciate it is now possibly too late, if you contact me direct at the hotel I will be only too happy to personally show you around the amazing facilities, available here at Coombe Abbey & discuss your wedding requirements with you,

Kind regards

Ron Terry
Coombe Abbey
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We received an over night stay with breakfast at Coombe Abbey as a Christmas gift. This venue is truly breath taking inside & out, we are not strangers to overnight hotel breaks but this is one of our favourites, set in beautiful surroundings we approached the reception area to be greeted by very professional staff who clearly enjoy their work, so much history to the venue & lovely to see the building is how it should be & not mad in to a trendy hotel !!! If I had one slight disappointment it would be we could not get a table in the restaurant for the evening meal due to it being fully booked, because this was a gift the first we knew was when we received a letter 3 days before our stay to say the restaurant was fully booked, staff at the hotel recommended a few restaurants & we had a lovely evening however, it would have been nice to dine within the hotel. hope to visit again in the not too distant future...keep up the good work Coombe Abbey.

Woking, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Spent a night at Coombe Abbey as part of a BIG birthday celebration, and it was exactly what we had hoped for.

Amazing feel to the place from the moment you walk over the bridge to the courtyard. As you enter through the main doors, the light dims and you are faced with a dark atmospheric reception area with plenty of places to sit and relax, and enjoy a drink or two surrounded by old books, tapestries, statues whilst listening to period music.

We stayed in a Grand Feature Bedchamber which was decorated in classic green and gold. I have never stayed in a hotel where the accommodation was open plan yet set over 3 floors with a sunken bath on the middle terrace - truly unique.

The bar and restaurant were set in a large opulent conservatory, so by day the feel was very light, airy and fresh, yet in the evening our dining experience was extremely intimate. The food was beautiful and couldn't be faulted, and the service impeccable.

The building is old, and the decor fits perfectly. The lighting throughout the hotel is very low and the finish very dark, but I really wouldn't have wanted it any other way. The finish in the room was very good, but had some signs of wear. This, however, did not detract from it's beauty, and I don't think it would have the same appeal if everything had been just so and perfect. This is a 12th Century Abbey after all.

Room Tip: We had a Grand Feature Bedchamber
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!