“Afternoon Tea” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

It was very pleasant to walk in the Coombe Abbey Park and then retire to the hotel for afternoon tea in the Garden restaurant. The tea was traditional, served in a large conservatory and we very able to introduce overseas friend to a proper English cream tea

Room Tip: If you book in advance you can park for free in the hotel car park. While entrance to the Park is fr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Rugby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Superb afternoon tea, plenty of sandwiches, tea, scones and cakes!
We had not booked, but the very helpful restaurant manager found us a table in the bar area as they were fully booked.
The Rocky Road was heavenly!
Thank you!

Bedford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night, definitely will go again. Without a doubt it has the wow factor. Only down side for us was walking from the annex to the main building as it was a chilly evening and I was wearing a summer dress. If I had known about this I would have ask to have a room in the main hotel. All the staff were great the food was good and the grounds are amazing.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went to stay at Coombe Abbey as part of a hen weekend to attend the Medieval Banquet. The grounds are amazing and well kept and the drive to the hotel gives the impression of the splendour that awaits. Wow - how magnificent is this place!! The owners have the décor and furnishings tasteful, and in keeping with the nature of the building. Staff were polite and helpful when needed, nothing was too much trouble. The bedroom was extremely comfortable and the bathroom and shower were I would say the best I have experienced. The Medieval Banquet was very enjoyable and then the disco afterwards was good. Breakfast was buffet style and plentiful. In summary you get what you pay for - and while it is not cheap to stay here it is well worth the cost. Can not wait to visit again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

What a fantastic hotel. Stunning, lovely staff, beautiful room and to top it off we booked the Medieval banquet. At first the drink sizes and food portions seemed small. But they were not by the end of the evening we'd had a lovely tasting meal, some lovely Mead and red wine. I was full up and the entertainment was brilliant. Nice adult humor, brilliant singing everyone by the end was up singing. Will be returning this year again, possibly just to enjoy the hotel but might go for the Haunted Halloween Banquet.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights; one in an ultra posh room for our first anniversary and one in a "normal" room, for a medieval banquet night, which was still phenomenal. All the staff were polite, friendly and professional, from the friendly and helpful restaurant maître de right down to the cleaner we bumped into on our departure morning who apologised for the guest who had decided to have a smoke in one of the rooms and stink up the hallway. Yes, it's pricey, but my goodness we got value from it.

The medieval banquet was delicious and entertaining and the food in the restaurant was phenomenal.

I'm given to understand (my wife's family are local to the hotel, although I stress we have no personal connection to the hotel itself) that there was a recent change in management, so I hope that the previous reviews which were less than complimentary are now no longer valid as they are completely unrepresentative of the excellent service and experience we had. No, it's not cheap, but we knew that when we booked. I'm not sure how people missed that.

Room Tip: If you're booking an ultra-posh room, take some stuff to do and stay in there to get best value.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

(This review is mainly about the excellent babysitter, Fay, provided through the hotel.)

My husband, our 2 boys (aged 1.5 and 3.5) and I stayed 2 nights at Coombe Abbey for my sister-in-law's wedding. I had originally arranged a babysitter (Fay) through the hotel for the evening of the wedding, but my father-in-law wanted a family meal for the night before so I got Fay to come that evening too.

Fay was wonderful with the boys, really able to relate to them at their level and was clearly a "kiddie" person (she has a 5-year-old boy of her own). She was so good with them the first night (and my 3-year-old gave me such a favourable report) that on the second night I was comfortable enough with her to simply hand the boys over to her for bathing and putting to bed, meaning I was only away from the wedding breakfast for 10 minutes or so. I would totally recommend Fay as a babysitter if you want to have some "grown-up" time when staying at Coombe Abbey.

Regarding the rest of our stay at the hotel, in short the hotel building, rooms and surroundings were wonderful and atmospheric but my overall feeling was that it was all a bit disorganised and badly managed. However the buffet breakfast offered a very extensive selection worthy of a mention.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!