“Our Wedding !” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rugeley, United Kingdom
“Our Wedding !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

My Wife and I, had our Wedding at Coombe Abbey on Saturday 10.11.2012 and it was absolutely perfect, making our wedding day as magical and wonderful as we had hoped. Staff were attentive at all times and could not do enough for us, right from the day my wife arrived (Friday 9th) until the day we left as a married couple (Monday 12th). We were looked after by our Master of Ceremonies, Jon all day/evening and he ensured that everything ran to plan. Considering the numbers attending, the wedding breakfast was delivered without delay so that all tables were eating the same courses at the same time, and the food was fantastic. The hotel staff were very accommodating and supportive when my Father-in-law became ill, and the staff/DJ adjusted the evening function whilst my wife looked after her father. All guests were impressed with the venue and food. And all family members felt in awe of this venue, so much so we are still talking about it 3 days later. Highly recommend the Lady Craven suite - very romantic. Very apt for a wedding night. We have already booked for our first wedding anniversary. Despite having another 3 functions on at the same time as our wedding we did not at all feel that we did not matter - the service received was not compromised and we felt so important at all times. We were also very impressed that Kelly, the wedding co-ordinator, we had been dealing with, greeted us with a glass of bubbly after our ceremony just before going onto the West Terrace for photos. If you want a magical day at an extraordinary venue Coombe Abbey is the place...It had the wow factor right from the minute we stepped into reception. Highly recommended and can't thank the staff enough. But thank them all for ensuring our wedding was the best it could be and one never forgotten :-) We had afternoon tea in our room and a meal in restaurant the night after the wedding and we were treated just as well as we had on our wedding day, service was 100% and food still to a high standard. Just wish we could do it all over again - absolutely perfect !

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Good afternoon

Please accept my sincere appreciation, for taking the time to write such a glowing review, following your wedding reception which recently took place, here at Coombe Abbey.

I was absolutely delighted to hear, that both yourself, your new wife and all of your guests had a truly wonderful day. It was genuinely our pleasure, to play a small part, in ensuring your special day was a success and remain unforgettable for years to come.

I will of course pass on your very kind words to the whole team here at the hotel.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to Coombe Abbey in the near future. Please pass on my very best wishes to your father in law who i hope is now feeling much better.

Kindest regards

Coombe Abbey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Porthcawl, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Having not stayed at the hotel before I was really looking forward to it when all my work colleagues gave it such a high rating. I was not let down.

When I first got got there I was not that impressed. The signs in the carpark are not very good and if you park in the wrong place you cant see where the reception is. However, walk towards the court yard and you are met by idyllic surroundings. So impressed was I that I found myself stopping to photograph the moat..... In the rain......... Beleive me the setting certainly made up for the lack of signs and the fact that I walked around the building a little more than I needed to was a benefit not a hinderence. (Valet Parking is available if you drive into the courtyard)

When you find the sign for the reception and head up to the door and on opening you are met by a series of gothic arches, and an impressive oak veneer. Once again reach for the camara, stop look around, amazing.

At first I thought my room was a little dark, but somehow it befits the atmosphere of the place. gothic architecture, deep heavy curtains, classic decor.

As for the food truly superb, an excellent menu well presented. The qality and service.... Superb, the staff make eye contact and smile even when walking down the corridor, they seem eager to please.

One tiny issue I did note was the bathroom had a fitting missing (Room 120). As a result there were two screw heads sticking out of the tiles and on the base of the bath hand rail, some paint has flaked due to corrosion. The faults are really trivial and insignificant and normally I would not have noticed this but when you have such an amazing product and such helpful staff, somehow these tiny issues are magnified. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Good morning and many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.

I was delighted to hear that you chose to return to the hotel,10 years after holding your wedding reception here and trust you had a most enjoyable stay
I fully accept that the hotel has changed some what in those 10 years and partly agree that some of the chracter may have been lost, especially in Cloisters Restaurant, which as part of a huge extension almost 7 years ago, was converted in to a function room. As part of that extension, 40 magnificent bedrooms were also added to the hotel, which obviously resulted in us needing a much larger restaurant, hence the creation of The Garden Room conservatory restaurant.

I very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you both back to Coombe Abbey in the future and please do not leave it 10 years this time.

Warmest regards

Rugeley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Coombe Abbey from Friday 9th - Monday 12th November 2012. My husband and I married in The Cloisters on Saturday 10th and have been planning this since March 2011. I was worried that my excitement would lead to disappointment with such a build up, but I am pleased to say the day was absolutely perfect and no way a let down at all. Having arrived on Friday with the bridal party with 2 car loads of goods, I have to say the porter was fantastic in helping us unload the luggage. Staff throughout our stay could not have done any more, nothing was too much trouble and this includes liaising with Kelly in the Wedding Department during the 18-months planning stage. I felt so important on my wedding day, staff were attentive and seemed genuinely interested in our wedding. Another wedding took place during the Saturday and everything was well organised so that neither couples day was overshadowed. The hotel staff were also very caring when my father was taken ill on the wedding night, and asked after him the day following. The Lady Craven suite is out of ths world and worth the extra money for special visits. Perfect venue setting for our perfect wedding day. Thank you to you all x

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon Absfab

I would firstly like to take this opportunity, of conveying my personal appreciation, for taking the time to write such a kind review, following your wedding ceremony & reception, which both recently took place here at Coombe Abbey.

I was delighted to hear, that we at Coombe Abbey, were able to contribute in a small way to making your special day as near to perfect as possible.

I will of course ensure, that your extremely kind words, are passed on to the whole team here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you both back to Coombe Abbey in the near future.

Warmest regards

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a lovely place to hold your wedding. The grounds are beautiful and the building has such character and history. The day went so smooth, the staff are very helpful and very efficient. The rooms also have great character. Food is devine, would definately stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Good afternoon Leanne

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review, following your recent stay her at Coombe Abbey.

I will of course, pass on your extremely kind words, to the whole team here at the hotel and genuinely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards

Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were married there 10 years ago (Nov 2002) and my wife and I went back 10 years later (Nov 2012).

The hotel has lost some of it's character, the changes in layout around the bottom of the stairs so you can now access the new restaurant take something away from the once spectacular entrance.

It's a shame the private dining booths and restaurant have gone, the new conservatory whilst very nice it not a cosy as the previous restaurant and the breakfast is now buffet style rather than table service.

We didn't see the new room block so can't comment on that, we still had a great time, just not as cosy as it was previously, if you have not been and are thinking of going it's still a great place to visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself was nice with a history behind it, that you can just stroll around and enjoy it. A stroll around the grounds during the day would be nice if you had the time as well.

The evening function that we held there (not medieval banquet) was a complete let down. Cheap and chewy steak that was uneatible and left on many plates, dessert looked nice - but I wasnt even offered one and when I asked for it I was told there was not enough. We deserve a refund and apology!

• Stayed October 2012
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Good evening

I would firstly like to take this opportunity, of thanking you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel itself and the wonderful parkland that surrounds the hotel.

I was however, extremely disappointed to read your comments, regarding the quality of both the food and service that you received during your stay and would like to convey my personal apologies for these shortcomings.

Could I kindly ask you to contact me at the hotel, so as to discuss the matter further and enable me to hopefully resolve the issues you unfortunately encountered.

kindest regards

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Cranfield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had a one night stay in conjunction with meeting another two couples (whom we hadn't seen since schooldays!) to attend a Medieval Banquet. The whole package was excellent! The hotel is in a beautiful setting and country park. The building itself is jam-packed full of character and the reception and valet staff extremely friendly and helpful. We were allocated a room in a building adjacent to the hotel which was also characterful. The room had lovely finishing touches and the most comfortable (but high) bed. Our wardroble was a replica travelling trunk upturned! Air-con and toiletries, crisp white bedding and fluffy towels...just lovely!
The Banquet itself was a wonderful experience and virtually every guest has gone to town with the optional dress...there were 'wenches' 'knights' 'ladies' and 'jesters' aplenty! We were entertained with bawdy tales and songs throughout the meal and finished off the night with some dancing at the disco! Huzzah!
Breakfast is served in the extremely beautiful 'garden-room/conservatory' and was delicious and varied. My ONLY niggle was the slow service for hot drinks and toast at the table.
It was an ideal venue to meet up with friends. Lots of nooks to sit in and interesting things to see. The walks are wonderful.
Very much looking forward to going again some time soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!