“Super stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Pontypool, United Kingdom
“Super stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I am amazed that I stayed at the same hotel as other reviews from a few days ago. My bed was so comfortable it was a shame to get out of it, but the jacuzzi in the room made it less of a wrench. I sometimes think that people go to places considering themselves hotel inspectors. Going on hands and kness I would have spotted some paint chips from the vacuum cleaners, maybe a mark or two on the walls. Car very at £9.50 (if paid for at reception) three courses, cheaper than a main course at my local pub, three starter choices, a few meats, fish, several veg, several potato choices, and four choices of desserts, as much as many as you like....... Maybe not fantastic but well acceptable. Not shown to a table, but come on, doesn't that make it more informal and homely to help yourself as opposed to being shepherded? Breakfast, so much choice I was lost as to what to have,
Hotel is what it says on the tin, comfortable, homely, friendly helpful staff, (chat to them as opposed to them being just staff).
They accept dogs, and dog shows. Lovely grounds. My only mark down was that the bar was closed at 10.30 when I would have liked a nightcap with friends.

Room Tip: Cannot see a difference, easy access to lifts and stairs from reception.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

It's sad really! This once magnificent hotel is now not even a shadow of its former self. I could go on about every room and facility I used and give you some poor feedback but that would not be fair. The staff and most likely the owners are doing their best but without the injection of millions of pounds all they are doing is papering over the cracks and there are plenty of them. The hotel attracts coach tours, there were five coaches in when I visited, lots of more elderly people who looked to be having a great time, so maybe they are the people who should be doing reviews. As for me a middle aged traveller I was frustrated and saddened by lack of staff, no food on a lunchtime from the bar menu (although I could look at the menu to see what I could have had!), very basic and worn out room with furniture that looked like it belonged in a charity shop, dirty and stained carpets, chaotic evening meals due to too small a serving area for the buffet and not enough staff. Those who were there were visibly frustrated. The gym changing room area was in keeping with this pattern. Locker doors missing, some had numbers written on in marker pens, very very sad and tired.
I've ended up doing what I didn't want to criticising the place sorry. I've read about the slow renovation and I don't buy it. The hotel needs an injection of millions now and urgently. But whilst they can still attract bus tours and attendees for the recent Crufts dog show (and their dogs!!!) someone somewhere has made the decision to just plod along and make ends meet. I fear the injection the hotel will get will be the one many Crufts dogs will face in their senior years!

Room Tip: I was recommended to rooms in the new part of the building so my review was based on those. They are...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Andrew S, Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, yesterday
Hi, thank you for your feedback. I know the renovation is a slow going, but we are starting to move forward now. I'm sorry that your stay wasn't up to standard. I will be passing your feedback onto the relevant departments to help improve staff performance and the guest experience.
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Having received a gift voucher for a meal and wine for 2. My sister and I joined our parents for a meal we were celebrating their wedding anniversary We had to pay upfront for the meal, no mention was made of the wine. We were led to the dining room and from the door pointed to our table over the other side of the room the waiter explained it was self service from the Carvery counter Very limited menu I had to remind staff we should have a bottle of wine. Nobody ventured over to enquire if all was ok. Having trained in restaurant services I don't think I have ever sat for a meal without having someone check . A very disappointing experience I would not want to repeat

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Hi, thank you for your feed back. I am sorry that your stay wasn't up to standard. I will be passing the details on to the relevant departments.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The bed was rock hard and so were the pillows.if it had of been the premier inns good night guarantee we would of defiantly had our money back. The room was ok. Although a bit dated and the TV was small and old. Hardly any channels worked. The bathroom was fine, the bath was a big bath that both of us could get in and it had a whirlpool action. The bath was the best bit. Would only stay again in an emergency, the bar had a nice pint and sun terrace.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hi thank you for your feed back. I am sorry that your stay wasn't up to standard. Did you enjoy your time in the bar? did you have any food or use the leisure facility?
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

After reading reviews I was very apprehensive about our stay , which was a 4 night coach tour. On arrival I was pleasantly surprised , we were checked in with a minimum off fuss and were in our room within minutes. Some of the place is slightly 'shabby' but by no means anything to complain about , niggly things like a couple of tiles off in the bathroom and broken handles on the windows , though they were still functional.
The bar area was pleasant , food very reasonably priced , though we were bed/breakfast and evening meal so didn't actually try the food but what I saw being served looked nice. The drinks were not overpriced and we did see a few contractors sat in the garden with their own cans of beer , which I think is very good of the hotel to let them have that option ! The buffet style meals were a little chaotic but this was mainly due to the pensioners forgetting their manners and pushing in rather than queueing for a few minutes . It was my husbands birthday during our stay which I mentioned to the receptionist who took our room number and on return to our room there was an ice bucket with a bottle of wine and two little boxes of chocolates , which was a lovely touch. The staff were all very nice and patient with the oldies and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there .

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Andrew S, Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hi, thank you very much for your lovely review. I will be letting the staff know what you thought of the hotel and how you were treated. I will pass your thanks on to the General Manager who you spoke to about your husbands birthday, she organised the wine and chocolates for you. We hope to see you again soon.
Looe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Easy to find and close to The Ricoh Arena and Conference Centre. It is a large Hotel with several coach loads of elderly people staying at the time we were there. Our room was spacious and had a jucuzzi bath. We only ate in the bar but the food was cheap and predictable. Breakfast was self service so you could eat as much as you liked.The Hotel is set back from the road and stands in its own grounds. All round it was good value for money.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Andrew S, Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi, Thank you for your feed back. I am very glad you had a nice time while staying with us. I will pass on your comments to the staff. I hope we will see you again soon.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Drive up to hotel very impressive - once the home of car manufacturer - Hillman. BUT .......... Room was like an ice box - no heating ! Bathroom dated and panel hanging off - water from shower ran hot and cold - sat in lounge and water leak through ceiling dripping into ice bucket Meals were organised chaos! Buffet style and queue - once visited never again ! Needs a major overhaul and re fitting o

Room Tip: No tips - just don't stay there
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hi thank you for your feed back. I am sorry we didn't live up to your expectations. We are going through a slow renovation and fixing all the issues you have mentioned.

Been to Royal Court Hotel - Coventry? Share your experiences!